Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pop-Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

the AS IT IS album that just came out is pretty good

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I listened to that As It Is album yesterday and it's fine. I like the first few tracks a lot more than the rest. Are the State Champs releasing a new album this year?

OotyPa likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

that's about how the same as how i felt when i listened

have there really been barely any good pop-punk albums released in the last year?

4. The Lucky Moose

I have no idea, I'm always looking for Pop Punk but I don't really know where to look

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

help guys!!! we are trying to think of good newer pop-punk that came out recently

6. Jake Z

Regular

Posted it before, but this is great. Skate/pop punk.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

I like the Knuckle Puck album and Somos's Temple of Plenty - those are the last ones I really enjoyed (specially the Somos)

and then there's Joyce Manor's and J Rosenstock's last two (if you consider those 4 pop punk...)

aaand that's it for me

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Love all of those except jeff rosenstock, cant get into him for whatever reason

I feel like this genre has dried up a lot...nowadays i listen to the throwbacks when i want to be in a good mood, but i virtually listen to nothing from the wonder years era (with the exception of set your goals). I couldnt tell you why that is because i used to live off that shit in freshmen year

9. Seaway are one of the only bands with actual hooks and a sense of fun left.

10. Jake Z

Regular

Agreed. I still love the stuff from the 90's and early to mid 2000's, but most of the newer stuff I just can't do.

11. Horrorca

Trusted

I could never get into the Wonder Years...

IIOI's Proper is immense, although that was some time ago...

mmm..

I guess that's it?

cherrywaves likes this.
  12. trevorshmevor Feb 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 2, 2017)
    Looking at my top 50 list from 2016 and the closest things to pop punk that I could find were Joyce Manor (#18) and Tiny Moving Parts (#46)

They year before that I ranked 30 records and the closest things were Better Off (#6) and The Story So Far (honorable mention)

The year before that I listed kinda randomly, but Somos, Sleep In, Fireworks, Stepfriends, and Future Crooks were all on there

Randomly ranked after my top 5 in 2013 too and it looks like The Story So Far was on there. The Swellers too but idk that I'd consider that record pop punk.

13. I think Sorority Noise and Modern Baseball and maybe PUP are the best pop punk like music out right now. Neck Deep is fun and catchy but not as original as those guys.

14. The Lucky Moose

The genre isn't dead. A lot of young bands tour very successfully world wide. I think 2016 just happened to be a touring year instead of a release year, if you know what I mean. Also, a lot of big bands from the 00s came back with albums in 2016 and went on tour, often taking several new bands with them. From what I'm observing, it's definitly a niche, but a pretty healthy one.

15. Had a class with the singer of this band in college around like 2011 and we bonded over our love for Balance & Composure. He played in a different band at the time that kinda sucked but started this one just a year or two ago and they're pretty solid. I don't follow my local scene much anymore but they seem much better than our other pop punk/emo bands. EP is pay what you want!

16. Jake Z

Regular

The new LTJ EP made me throw on Rehasher. No one does pop punk better. Check them out if you haven't.

17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

A will away has an album coming out this year. It should be really good.

I also revisited daytrader's discog, and holy shit, what a great band. I would trade almost anyone to get a followup to 12 years

Jake Z, OotyPa and BigMouth like this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

A new Less Than Jake EP is out now.

Jake Z likes this.
  19. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah I just wish it wasn't on Pure Noise :/

20. The Lucky Moose

Why? I'm not familiar with the label beyond the seeing it on the back of releases.

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

Just a history of shitty attitudes regarding women. Signed a band connected to sexual assault. Said nothing when dude from TSSF dropkicked a teenage girl off a stage. I feel like I remember the label head briefly defending Front Porch Step during that debacle but they also parted ways.

Idk I wish they stuck with Fat Wreck hah

22. Jake Z

Regular

23. The Lucky Moose

This sounds a lot like Don't Panic era All Time Low to me

24. That's exactly what I thought when I first heard it. It's honestly way better than anything off the album its a bonus track from, although the lyrics are kind of dumb (but I do not listen to SC for the lyrics anyways). He seriously sounds like Alex Gaskarth in that chorus.

25. The Lucky Moose

Does anyone know if Better Luck Next Time is still a thing? Can't find them on social media and their last album is from 2013.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.