Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pop Music General Genre • Page 37

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Clarkson. She gave a rly great opening about gun violence and was funny and cute the entire show. She should host more!

supernovagirl likes this.
  2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I saw someone wearing a mask and generally looking like a BVB member on the bbma red carpet, can’t figure out at all who it was/who he was with

3. I just found this hour long Max Martin Masterclass video on YouTube and immediately threw it on!

I'm 55 minutes into it and there's really been nothing notable at all... What a missed opportunity...

sophos34 likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Those kinds of things are real hit or miss. Sometimes they just hit surface level concepts anyone who has recorded anything will know, sometimes they go super in depth

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the instrumentation in the live version of Gimme More is slightly different so I was like is she saying that in the intro for multiple songs, she'd be even more iconic

skogsraet likes this.
  6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

skogsraet likes this.
  8. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

christ does this girl release anything other than stellar music?

Kiana likes this.
  9. Kiana

Rina is the pop bop girl we deserve

StepsInADance likes this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Seriously impressed with the quality of her voice

11. irthesteve

Tori Kelly has a gospel album out in a few weeks, then another (assumed non-gospel) album coming after

12. Kiana Sep 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 1, 2018)
    Kiana

This morning I was randomly wondering do we have any like anti or non conforming artists rn who are marketed that way? Like how nirvana is hailed as kick starting grunge and a less polished manufactured deal or even how Avril was marketed as the anti-britney? And even tho people can argue that they were still manufactured and a machine, they did fill some sort of pop culture void.

I was just thinking how everything is so meticulously branded and manufactured like I know that's always been a thing, but I feel like social media has led to popstars feeling v glossy and media trained and brand savvy and I feel like there is a void for some edgy new young thing to come in and not rly conform to that and click with the angsty youths. I guess Lorde kind of did that. Or maybe that's how kids feel about the "SoundCloud rappers" idk?

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Charli XCX, Lorde, Kesha , 5 Seconds Of Summer I guess too

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. Kiana

I could def see 5sos being marketed as like an anti, rebellious boyband for youths who think regular boybands are corny. When I was a tween I prob would've eaten that up lol. I guess tween me did have good Charlotte tho

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I don't know if it's the same scenario but brockhampton has been promoted as like this rap group/boy band and it seems to be anti what a boy band usually is

16. I'm trying to come up with someone who fits your description but you're right that pop culture has changed so much due to social media's influences. You have to very carefully play the game to make people aware of you as an artist. It doesn't help that it's harder to maintain a bit of mystery around your persona, unless you're like Ionnalee but that was already almost a decade ago.

Idk how accurate it is, but a somewhat edgy newer artist clicking with angsty youths makes me think of Halsey. At least her persona during the first album's era. It's not as easy to be marketed that way without being perceived as corny or trying too hard, from what I've seen on pop music boards.

PC Music's affiliated artists coud fit that description. Charli since she teamed up with that crowd and of course Sophie. St. Vincent perhaps? She seems to appeal to both mainstream pop listeners and more artsy ones, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the points you were making though.

How about Marina And The Diamonds, especially during Electra Heart's era? Or Lily Allen? Both have been very vocal about their dislike of manufactured popstars, and the industry surrounding it, both lyrically and during interviews. Difficult to think of many others, so you asked a really interesting question ha!

Kiana likes this.
  17. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

this is just me thinking about how great nysnc song pop was

like wow what an opener

18. Kiana

V good points. I feel like there is a void wide open to fill but like you said the social media thing kinda takes away mystery and that seems to be how artists get noticed now cause if you don't play the game and have a ton of built in followers already then your chances are lower. And I feel like in the past the antis have had a "rock" edge or marketing like Avril had the pop rock marketing even tho she was pretty pop. even pink has that adult contemporary pop rock thing going on, but rock has also fallen out of mainstream favor a bit. So maybe there are rappers who are filling that space. I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the genre in the last few years so idk how specific artists are marketing and how ppl are responding

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. A reminder that Sugababes were one of the most consistent pop bands, and that their return is truly needed:

20. No you're right! I wish I knew a little more about mainstream US rappers, so I can't really argue your point. But I think you're onto something!

My other guess is that it doesn't make much sense to market yourself as anti-mainstream pop (with a rock edge or not) anymore, because pop music isn't used as a slur as much as it did in the past. It feels like even the most rockist purists have started to admit their love for the genre, as seen with the praise for singers such as Robyn, Carly Rae Jepsen, Lorde, among others, who are often mentioned in those "I don't like pop music but I like this" videos or comments.

There's also the current nostalgia for the late 90's/early 00's, which includes pop phenomenons like Britney. I still can't believe she sold more tickets this year than she did in 2011, the last time she had constant hits on the radio. It's incredible, and brings me joy that people have mostly stopped mocking her mental health.

People seem to be way more aware of the unfortunate things that happen behind the scenes as well, and don't hesitate to support their favorite artists if they're suffering from label shenanigans (JoJo, Tinashe, Charli), being blacklisted (Janet) or even being abused (Kesha).

I feel like I'm rambling a little bit. My supposition is that pop as a genre is taken more seriously nowadays, so if you're a young broke artist trying to make it, perhaps is it smarter to embrace your influences and not care too much about your indie cred or whatever?

21. Kiana

Britneys second wind is so wild. Especially to see how her shows are received now because she's still awkward and doesn't feel the beat anymore but reviews are still generally positive regardless lol tho I guess she's still better than most popstars who try to dance. But given she doesn't sing either like.... I'm surprised she's doing so well haha but good for her

22. irthesteve

The 40 second mark is the most important

23. Kiana

This song is basic but I forgot how much I loved Ashlee until her part came in like it awakened 11 year old me who was legit obsessed with her like religiously watched her show and memorized all her lyrics on her first album and ~related to her so much and stanned her and Ryan cabrera's relationship

24. irthesteve

Autobiography is still amazing

25. This is not a drill, and though I'll believe it when I see it promoted everywhere, but the second album by Rita Ora is actually coming out in November : Phoenix