Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pop Music General Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Udi widodo and Nick like this.
  2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Subbin. I've been getting into more pop music as of recent so I'm always looking for new shit to jam.

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Good thread indeed.

4. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

pure heroine has honestly held up kinda weird for me. some moments i love ("ribs") but others have curdled pretty badly ("royals," which i never liked anyway). but she has a gift and i think some of her lyrics have promise like this one: "Maybe the Internet raised us, or maybe people are jerks" lol just gets to me. her aesthetic might be kind of out of date already now though? i wonder how she'll move forward.

brandon_260 likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

i think lorde will always have a niche, but may never see a world-dominating song like "royals" again. looking forward to whatever she brings next, regardless.

kelly clarkson's performance on american idol that went viral last week made me go back and listen to a lot of her stuff. she's sang some pretty awesome stuff in her career. definitely got one of those voices i'll always enjoy hearing.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Breakaway is no joke. Fantastic album that has never gotten enough credit for its massive influence on the genre. "Since U Been Gone" set such a huge precedent that everyone ripped off for years.

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Avril's Under My Skin is really great too

SomedayTheFire likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Always preferred Avril's more "fun" material, though I do love "My Happy Ending."

Breakaway is such a good pop album.

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

If you don't cry during that performance of "Piece By Piece" I don't trust you have a soul. Also, Chris showed me this video and I watch it probably once a week.

10. Garrett

I almost did Breakaway for that albums you have to hear thing we did on AP (s/o to @iplaydrums)

11. Meerkat

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

Our eternal struggle

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Not an idea if she's known or not but Birdy's Keeping Your Head Up is a very good song. Been everywhere recently over here.

14. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

Breakaway was one of the first pop albums I really got into and it has held up so well

ChaseTx likes this.
  15. that album is her best, hands down.

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Same here. I burned that from my mom's CD collection, lol

Also I've been listening to Demi Lovato's most recent album after finally seeing her performance on SNL and realizing she's kind of an amazing singer. The album's pretty good, but "Cool For The Summer" is an absolute jam. Her Spotify Sessions is a pretty good live recording as well

PyramidPostcard likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

I might be able to look at her recent albums more fondly if she hadn't released one of the best pop albums I've ever heard with her second. This stuff lacks a unique aesthetic so blatantly in comparison.

carina likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Hmm I hadn't listened to any of the old ones. I assumed the first couple were disposable Disney channel releases. Guess not?

19. cshadows2887

No way. Here We Go Again is, no joke, one of my favorite pure pop albums ever.

20. Garrett

Was reminded of this song today (thank you, iTunes shuffle) and it's still perfect.

mercury, Nick and PyramidPostcard like this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

For some reason I never considered that song tATu would have been big in America too.

22. Meerkat

I wish I had the facepalm emoji

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Garrett

I remember hearing this one and Not Gonna Get Us everywhere tbh

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Julia turned out to be super homophobic, but only to gay men.

But hey she said we're "not as bad as murderers"

25. Meerkat

Yeah I have a major problem with everything involving Tatu