Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Polar Bear Club Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I wish the reception to Death Chorus was better. Such a great album.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Compared to the rest of their albums its really not though. A lot of other scene bands could've made Death Chorus, its catchy nasally pop-punk. No one else could've made Sometimes Things Just Disappear.

irthesteve and Michael Schmidt like this.
  3. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Alright Neanderthal, back to the caves with you.

muttley likes this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I still can't get into Death Chorus but may as well try again. Have been repeatedly blasting STJD though lately

muttley likes this.
  5. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

DC is not nasally.

6. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It has its solid moments, I really like Upstate Mosquito and Blood Balloon. WLWYCD is pretty damn nasally though. So is Upstate Mosquito a bit.

7. GEM37

She haunts the roads

"WLWYCD" is the best song on that album by a country mile.

I remember thinking that PBC were a band that made exceptional songs on okay records, but I was jamming CBGP the other day and was struck by just how good the musicianship on all their songs was. Like a lot of people, I couldn't quite get into Death Chorus, but I still think they were a shining beacon in this scene, and that they fizzled out before they could really figure out a new approach that sold Jimmy's new voice.

"Dead Man" and "The Old Fisher Burial Ground" might be my favorite 'underrated' PBC songs.

I only saw them twice: once in 2011, on the Take Action tour (my very first show!), and then two years later on the Death Tourus (a depressingly omniscient name), where Citizen played and a significant amount of people left after them. I never got to see them on their headlining tour with Fireworks, and I'm still kicking for myself for more missing that show! Both bands at the height of their popularity, with arguably their best records.

On a side note, I think Jimmy would be a fascinating interviewee for Lead Singer Syndrome.

cubsml34 and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  8. Whatjuliansaid

I'll never forget someone I know saying they'd put me on the list and not doing it so I went all the way there for nothing because it was sold out. Of course it was their last tour ever, of course.

GEM37 likes this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

I actually emailed Shane a while back suggesting interviewing Jimmy for the podcast. They obviously know each other from the Take Action Tour and like you mentioned, I think it would be a really interesting take on what happens when the entire means of your livelihood, i.e. his voice, is destroyed and how everything else got set in motion. Other than that statement he put out after Death Chorus was out for a bit, I don't think it's ever been addressed publicly.

GEM37 likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Not exactly sure how to interpret the tweet, but the last reply to it is someone saying they are glad he is writing new music and Jimmy favorited it. May or may not be for new PBC, but figured I would still post it.

11. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Death Chorus came storming back into my rotation last night on a red eye greyhound ride from Minneapolis to Milwaukee. I've been awake and spinning it for the last 24 hours.

Why is this band not back together yet? Jimmy's voice was so good on Death Chorus.

12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

His voice was alright on Death Chorus - better than most other scene vocalists, for sure, but neither his voice nor the music on DC conveyed the kind of full-throttle urgency that they brought on STJD or CH, hell even CBGP hit a lot harder than DC did. For me, I don't know that PBC will ever top the 4 track run that kicked off CH - "See The Wind", "Living Saints", "Boxes" and "Take Me To The Town" is such an epic way to start an album.

What would this band even look like "back together"? Their lineup changed so much between albums that Jimmy and his voice were the only real constants.

cubsml34 likes this.
  13. Whatjuliansaid

Pretty sure like everyone got married and started a different life.

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Sad thing that happened to his voice. But glad he overcame the change and went for it on Death Chorus. I like that album.

muttley likes this.
  15. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

GEM37 and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  16. Barcara

Regular

B9(?) needs to get it together and get CH and CBGP on streaming.

17. GEM37

She haunts the roads

.....uuuuhhhh.... you got Spotify?

18. Barcara

Regular

Yeah, it's got only DC and STTJD, just like Apple Music.
    If you have it then I'm gonna assume this is definitely a Canada thing... Damn.

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Must be a Canada thing bc my Apple Music has everything.

Barcara likes this.
  20. Barcara

Regular

Aw man.
    Well, I guess sometimes things just disappear.

trevorshmevor, JBoch, farva2 and 3 others like this.
  21. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Well played haha.

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I love that album.

23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Thank you so much for bumping this thread.

cubsml34 likes this.
  24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Seriously. The moment I realized it was 2 different vocalists I was blown away. They sound amazing together, probably one of the most harmonious duos.

25. MexicanGuitars

I think is, when I lived in Canada I lost those albums.