Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Polar Bear Club Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 9, 2016.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

holy shiit i miss this band. i'm so glad i saw them live. i sometimes forget that.

Whatjuliansaid and muttley like this.
  2. Emotherapy

Regular

I keep forgetting about PBC and go binge listening whenever I remember. I got to see them twice and both times were great. I miss this band so much. I'd love for them to come back someday.

3. Horrorca

Trusted

ok, it's time for me to give this band a go - I always forget to

4. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I miss you so much, PBC.

5. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I'm also glad I was able to see them numerous times. Singing along in my car reminds me of singing along at their shows.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they were a good live band

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  7. farva2

Regular

My favorite band. Seeing them live for the first time back in high school changed my life and made me a music fan. Will forever miss these guys and be bitter that they never gave us a proper farewell.

8. muttley

I'm still holding out for some reunion shows in the next couple years.

9. Collins

Trusted

Convinced I'm Wrong is a perfect song

vidiviciveni and muttley like this.
  10. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

The first three records helped me through some tough times. Sad that I never got to see this band.

11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Personally I thought Chasing Hamburg was their high watermark - the first 4 tracks are just relentless, and "See the Wind" and "Take Me To the Town" are two of their better jams ever. Sometimes Things Just Disappear is a fine bit of work too. Clash Battle Guilt Pride seemed a little too tame in comparison, and Death Chorus just never resonated with me.

12. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I've seen this band twice live yet never listened to them otherwise.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

listened to CBGP for the first time today - it was pretty fucking good

too bad they're gone

does anyone of them do something musical today?

14. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Whenever I'm down I need to remember to watch Jimmy perform and then I don't feel so bad. Still my favorite frontman from our "scene".

I can't get CBGP or CH on Apple Music though and I'm pissed, must be a Bridge Nine thing. Saw them 4 times in just over a year, including this headline tour, and it was fantastic. The term "a band's band" gets thrown around sometimes for under-appreciated acts that people in the know really dig , and CBGP is an "album's album" if that makes any sense haha. Individually the songs are great, but all eleven together are really something special I can't describe.

15. MexicanGuitars

So glad you mentioned these. See the Wind absolutely rips and Take Me to the Town is absolutely underrated. In fact, I think it's a trend amongst the #4 slot on PBC albums. I love Kneel on Nails, and Another Night in the Rock is a solid tune.

16. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

"light of local eyes" >>>>

GEM37 and troyplaysbass like this.
  17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I miss this band so much

18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Disappointed that they seem to have fizzled the way they did, but I truly do think the magic went away with Jimmy's vocal cords

19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I don't think there is any getting around the issue of Jim's vocals, but the members from CBGP were also slowly dropping off. Chris and Jim and were the only consistencies left in the band. There were so many members in and out. Even if they aren't adding creative value, that still takes a toll over time, depending what tasks they were taking on outside of performing. I just think there were a lot of things working against them. You take so-so reaction to the new record, Jim's vocals, member changes, lots of their constituents ending or being close to it (Make Do and Mend, Man Overboard, Transit, SYG, etc) and I just think it became really bleak for them. Opening for bigger bands to break away would be difficult since Death Chorus wasn't buzzing much. I don't know, I remember my brother and I leaving the Death Chorus headliner and saying we probably won't get to see them again, but at least we have some awesome records.

trevorshmevor, cubsml34 and muttley like this.
  20. muttley

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  21. MexicanGuitars

If anyone in Chicagoland ever wants to jam PBC songs let me know, I've had the idea of trying to play a tribute show dedicated to the "big 4" of this era that are now inactive: PBC, The Swellers, Fireworks, and Hostage Calm.

GEM37, troyplaysbass and Joe4th like this.
  22. I am so into that idea.

cubsml34 likes this.
  23. MexicanGuitars

troyplaysbass likes this.
  24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I don't know what a Blood Balloon is, but I love that song.

Joe4th likes this.
  25. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Death chorus was such a good way to go out, and it still bums me the hell out that they did go out :tear: