Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Polar Bear Club Band • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 9, 2016.

1. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Sucks that the last time I got to this band was a super depressing headliner where 90% of the crowd left after Citizen. Band was definitely under appreciated in the scene. One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen in their hay day. DC is fine, but pales in comparison to the first three albums.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Clash battle album tours were the best when they did the pawner into killin it to start their set.

3. Jimmy was also very nice when I met him at Warped and signed the tank I bought

Contender likes this.
  4. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That happened on the CBGP tour too it was such gold, b&c and then fireworks and majority of the crowd left before PBC. It was much worse on that last tour though

5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yep I remember that tour. Weirdly the craziest crowds I saw for them was during the STJD era. I remember them playing on the floor of a small venue here with Broadway Calls in 08 and the crowd went absolutely apeshit. I think if CBGP was released after STJD the band would have had a lot more momentum. I love Chasing Hamburg, but it just doesn’t pack the punch of those two albums especially live.

6. I can't cosign the Siouxsie Jeanne hate, I love the storytelling in that song, but I love to see The Swellers get some love. I honestly think PBC just got better with every record, and it was so sad seeing them on the DC tour and watching everyone just leave before their set. It was at Chain Reaction in Anaheim, I bought DC on vinyl and talked with Jimmy about how much I liked the record. Last time I saw them.

7. My first show was TWY (The Upsides), FYS (Enemy of the World), PBC (STJD), and ETID (NJA). I went for PBC (they were great) but also fell in love with ETID

8. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I saw PBC open for Bayside in an old warehouse basement in Grand Rapids right after they released CBGP. Still my favorite show that I've been to.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  9. I wouldn’t consider Death Chorus “generic” at all but I do think it’s pretty underwhelming. Might give it a revisit sometime, but if I didn’t like it at the height of me liking music like this then I can’t imagine it does anything for me now haha

10. Barcara

Regular

One of my favourite shows at the time was

Flatliners
    Polar Bear Club
    Menzingers

If I'm not mistaken PBC was touring Clash, and Menzies were touring Past. Flatliners headlined cause Toronto, and they killed it.

JaytotheGee, JBoch and trevorshmevor like this.
  11. Jealous of these shows! Only time I saw PBC was at a warped tour date. They crushed it but obviously a lot of the day otherwise was not ideal

12. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Have Heart, Trapped Under Ice, and PBC right before STJD released or TWY, PBC, Transit, AL4W were my favorites. One was them on the come up playing mostly hardcore shows and the other when CBGP was doing its thing.

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Oh my lord i would die lol.

Barcara likes this.
  14. GEM37

She haunts the roads

First show I ever went to was Seattle date of Take Action! 2011 Tour, PBC were right in the middle of the bill opening for Bayside and Silverstein. Me and two other people who had traveled there specifically for PBC were the only people moving at first but they won over the crowd by the end of their short set. I didn't have a car at the time and was unable to secure a trip for their headliner w/ Fireworks later that fall. Still very bummed I missed that, CBGP and Gospel were my favorite albums of that year.

I did indeed see the phenomena of a huge crowd emptying after Citizen's set a couple of years later, but that was like only my third show, I had nothing to compare it to. Didn't love Death Chorus as much as their other records, but I do think it's solid and I'm glad they went out on their own terms. WLWYCD is a banger.

15. Barcara

Regular

Haha your display picture, name and being in this thread make it a triple threat! It was a sick show. I promise that I moshed on your behalf.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  16. dzyjay

Regular

I think PBC would have been touring chasing Hamburg at this time but super rad tour!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. In that case, maybe I just remember the STJD songs because I like them more, haha

dzyjay and AgonizingFir like this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Pretty sure they played both on the 2012 Glamour Kills tour, which was fantastic.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  19. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Now that’s a lineup
    [​IMG]

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Sorry for a no news bump, but I'm listening to Silent Majority for the first time after reading about them in Where Are Your Boys Tonight? and it's so cool to hear the obvious influence they had on PBC beyond being the source of the band name. Some of these vocals sound so much like Jimmy.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  21. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Just saw the concert memories, and one of my favorite shows ever was Make Do and Mend, Balance and Composure, Fireworks, and Polar Bear Club. I also bought CBGP on vinyl that night before it came out, and had my first listen to the album in my dorm room at about 2am after coming back from the show. Really special memory.

22. abear182

Regular

Do we ever think PBC will make a return? I could definitely see a one off show here and there.

Jimmy's voice will never be the same but I would still love to hear the songs again.

23. I remember streaming CBGP and Saves the Day's Daylight the same morning in my high school English class on Pandora. That was a great day.

24. HeckYeahMatt

Not Big Chungus

One of the best bands.

25. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

would love for them to come back with altered vox tbh but I feel like jimmy has sworn it off and TBH idk how much of a monetary risk it would be for them to really justify pursuing it. but hey, maybe at Fest or something one day.