Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Polar Bear Club Band • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Still one band I throw on quite often. Wish I got into them earlier. The original bassist is (now) married to a college friend. So they played our college somewhat often back in the day. They should have gotten bigger. Seems like towards the end they were always 2nd billed.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Well their vocalist had to completely change how he sang due to vocal cord issues, and I don’t think they had much success with their only album where he sang like that unfortunately. I thought the album was pretty good considering.

3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Did that happen to be Penn State? That was the first time I saw them w/ Four Year Strong in 2010

4. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Nah SUNY Oswego, near Syracuse

5. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Death Chorus is a perfect record.

Elder Lightning and BigMouth like this.
  6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

[​IMG]

7. Snoblin

Yes

Elder Lightning and BigMouth like this.
  8. I love Death Chorus with all my heart and I think Jimmy sounds great on it. No lie.

Aaron Mook and Snoblin like this.
  9. troyplaysbass Jan 9, 2023
    (Last edited: Jan 9, 2023)
    Still love Death Chorus. See also: The first reply to this thread back in 2016.

Snoblin and BigMouth like this.
  10. Snoblin

Yeah I love his voice on DC.

people who get bent out of shape over the change are wrong.

ranking the albums goes something like this:

CBGP
    DC
    STJD
    CH

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I don't care that the sound changed, I care that the album isn't good

12. The album is good, but STJD is and will always be their best. I don't make the rules

koryoreo and Snoblin like this.
  13. Snoblin

STJD is an instant classic. There’s no album out there that has the same vibes.

koryoreo and Aaron Mook like this.
  14. HeckYeahMatt

Not Big Chungus

This thread being bumped nearly gave me a heart attack. Would LOVE for Jimmy & the gang to come back.

bd007h and ghostxvapor like this.
  15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think it will happen at some point. It is absolutely wild that it's been 10 years since Death Chorus

CBGP is definitely them at their best but the EP and first album are undeniably perfect

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  16. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I dont know if they can simply because his voice changed so much.

17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Death Chorus on its own is an alright album, but compared to the rest of their discography...it's bad Polar Bear Club album. I get that medical circumstances caused Jimmy's voice to change, but it really just made their sound generic compared to every other release of theirs.

18. Snoblin

Never understood the ‘it sounds generic’ take - no one has ever cared to elaborate.

I think his singing voice is unique. There are tons of hooks. The mix sounds good. Lyrics are great.

just not sure what’s limiting about the record that makes people think that way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. It sounds like a good Saves the Day record imo. Not generic, just different

AWasteOfATime and Allhailburnzy like this.
  20. Would love for this band and The Swellers to come back, I feel like both were criminally underrated.

JBoch, Joe4th, MexicanGuitars and 2 others like this.
  21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Death Chorus is the only album of theirs I like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt Metzler and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I like Death Chorus, even if it’s my least favorite album of theirs. Siouxsie Jeanne is a big reason why. Not into that song.

23. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

The first time i saw both bands was on the Take Action Tour in 2011 and I can't believe how much those bands would be forever linked by virtue of their underratedness and relatively short time together after that.

BigMouth likes this.
  24. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I think they still sound super distinctive on Death Chorus. I like their other albums a lot too, but Death Chorus is definitely the one I've played the most number of times.

BigMouth and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Absolutely the two most underrated bands in the scene

Yep that song just fully sucks but the rest of the album is fine

Michael Schmidt likes this.