Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Rob Letterman, May 10, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by justin., Jan 29, 2018.

1. justin. Jan 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 12, 2018)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The story begins when ace private eye Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son Tim to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry's former Pokémon partner, Detective Pikachu: a hilariously wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth who is a puzzlement even to himself. Finding that they are uniquely equipped to communicate with one another, Tim and Pikachu join forces on a thrilling adventure to unravel the tangled mystery. Chasing clues together through the neon-lit streets of Ryme City - a sprawling, modern metropolis where humans and Pokémon live side by side in a hyper-realistic live-action world - they encounter a diverse case of Pokémon characters and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful co-existence and threaten the whole Pokémon universe.

Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu (voice and motion capture)
    Ken Watanabe as Detective Yoshida
    Justice Smith as Tim Goodman
    Kathryn Newton as Lucy

Directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps)
    Written by Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy)

The film will be released on May 10, 2019.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The first set photos have been taken showing photos of Ryme City Police Department. They also give a clue of how the Pokémon (Victini, Graveler, Machoke, and Pancham) will look.

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Shouldn't Pikachu be voiced by someone with a high-pitched voice? Or am I just associating that with the cartoon series? Or, what if this is a dark and gritty take, where Detective Pikachu has to investigate a string of prostitute murders while Pikachu has to overcome his drug and alcohol addictions from self-medicating over the loss of his wife three years ago.

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m pretty sure this Pikachu will have a voice that is only heard by his human partner. At that point it could basically be any voice and it makes sense why they went with the Detective Pikachu route. It doesn’t give the idea that all Pokémon can speak while still allowing Pikachu to speak so that the audience can better attach to him.

It was rumored that Pikachu will help his partner discover the mystery surrounding his father’s disappearance but nothing has been confirmed. I personally wouldn’t mind if they don’t revolve the story around Pikachu being a detective and only have that be his background.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this is so fucking weird

6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

It’s weird, but I’m all in even if it’s a mess.

Larry David and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wow, Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu should be interesting

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Bill Nighy the science guy!

Larry David likes this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Hopefully Ora acts better than she sings.

I should say, I hope I like her acting more than her singing. She's fine, I guess.

11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

hmm!

12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Official banner

0D3A41DE-3D7B-4F43-8F70-D6DA40E4A65F.jpeg

15. Lucas27

Trusted

Why is this?

16. I’m as confused by this as sure as I am that I’m going to see it, whatever the hell it is

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

18. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I don't... what the fuck is happening. This is gonna be an acid trip of a movie

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I just want Mewtwo and Giovanni to appear in the film.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this Pikachu fucks

Philll likes this.
  21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

This is going to be incredible lol

23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I can't believe they're actually doing this haha

24. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

it's not even wild to me that this exists... it's more crazy that it's been twenty years and THIS is the first ever foray into live action film.

domotime2, ghostedaway and Joe4th like this.
  25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I can’t blame Nintendo and the Pokémon Company for being hesitant with the current list of video game adaptations. Hollywood doesn’t have the best reputation in that field. I am pretty optimistic about Legendary, though. That company has produced some great films.