Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pokémon Go May Be a Security Risk • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I was hoping there'd be someone else in my boat on this...I learned of it from my 20 yr. old sister in law when I asked why is everyone your age walking in groups along the river staring at their phones? She then explained it and I lost all hope for America's future...

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I know on android setting up account using google, it's very easy to not limit what access you have. it was easier for me, creating a personal app, to just give my app access to everything. of course the app would need to be written in a certain way to take advantage of that, especially in the background but it's not too hard.

most likely someone fecked up and forgot to turn off a couple of things, or their code was badly written and not doing it's job limiting access.

3. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

because people are playing a game? seems a bit extreme of a reaction

Raku, CMilliken, FTank and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zip It Chris

Just a little thing called sarcasm...not meant to be taken literally. ..

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

No one could tell that from what you wrote

Luroda, Raku and CMilliken like this.
  6. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but is there a way for me to download the app for the first time without granting it the full access? I'd kind of like to try it out but not if there's no way to avoid this flaw

7. You can sign up using the Pokemon Trainer Club, which is what I did. In that case Niantic has no idea what your Google account even is, but the downside is that Pokemon Trainer Club's login servers go down way more often. I've been locked out of playing for like two days since the game's been out. But it seems to be better now that it's been a week or so.

8. Zip It Chris

Understood, my bad.

9. CMilliken

Trusted

Looks like today's update is suppose to fix this issue.

10. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

So how do you deny them access, or limit access, if you've already signed with using Google? Can you?