Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Rob Letterman, May 10, 2019) Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by justin., Jan 29, 2018.

1. Bane

The spiciest meme

2. lmao

3. Bane

The spiciest meme

well I'd say even if the movie ends up being painfully mediocre like some of the impressions in here are saying this was totally worth it

4. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This marketing campaign is going to be better than this movie and I don’t even mind.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I had to

6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Someone pls spoil for me how Mewtwo fits into the story

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Same here, idgaf about spoilers lol

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He is captured (doesn’t tell how) and Howard uses his dna to create a gas called ‘R’ that turns Pokémon crazy. Tim’s dad finds out and tries to help Mewtwo before he goes missing. Howard then tries to put his mind inside of Mewtwo and is able to control him for a bit until he is freed which ends up not being good news for Howard. There’s also a semi-twist revolving around Tim’s dad that Mewtwo is responsible for.
    A spin off focusing on Mewtwo is apparently in the works so his background is probably being saved for that.

Marx&Recreation and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. RyanPm40

I saw someone on Reddit say this movie reminded them of 2001's Spy Kids and other 2000s kids action films like Agent Cody Banks. That's...interesting.

Contender likes this.
  11. i mean....awesome

Leftandleaving and RyanPm40 like this.
  12. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

These reviews are bumming me out because I’ve gone from “Oh cool they’re making a Pokemon movie” to “they’re starting with Detective Pikachu? Okay that seems a little weird,” to “Oh god these trailers are amazing this is gonna be great, why did I ever doubt” to “I guess I’ll temper my expectations and look forward to something disappointingly average.”

Been a real rollercoaster.

13. RyanPm40

Haha I totally loved them as a kid but there's no way those have aged well.. right?

But, I mean, this is a kids movie so that's still pretty rad.

14. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Well ok consider my hype reignited!

jordalsh and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If you’re a Pokémon fan then you’ll easily like it.

Leftandleaving and Nyquist like this.
  16. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

See this is what I want to hear.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, assuming you're all about copious amounts of fan service, a lot of which I liked or at least didn't mind to be fair

Nyquist likes this.
  18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Yeah, like, it's a Pokemon movie lol. I just want to see fluffy CGI creatures

Wait, so basically all of the Mewtwo stuff happened prior to the beginning of the movie? Or is it that the movie is more like: Tim and Pikachu gradually uncover the truth about why his dad went missing while at the same time fighting off the crazy "R"-poisoned pokemon, and then the climax is when they confront Howard and then he tries to put his mind inside Mewtwo?

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The second one.

20. RyanPm40

Lmao there's an Entertainment Tonight interview with Ryan Reynolds and the interviewer literally spoiled a major plot point of the ending

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

A smaller theater in my hometown was going to play this film on Friday but the local AMC called Warner Bros and requested that they don’t let them show the film.

The small theater only charges $3 so AMC was probably nervous over losing business.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Detective Pikachu is Who Framed Roger Rabbit in Pokémon footie pajamas

“But scientist and pop philosopher Ray Kurzweil believes that we are on the verge of something called “the Singularity,” in which we’ll all become one with the machines, humanity’s weaknesses will be boiled away, and we will live in digital paradises. We’ll just have to cease being what are strictly “human beings” to accomplish this. Yay?

There are plenty of science fiction works that have dug into this idea, but it’s perhaps most prominent in the worlds of anime and manga. Indeed, Ghost in the Shell, one of the most famous anime in the West, is very explicitly about the idea of what happens when your body becomes a shell, when we move past easy conceptions of what it means to have a physical form. How do ideas about gender, race, and identity break down when that happens? How do we think about ourselves if the lines between me and you start to blur and break down? What does it mean to be “alive” or “dead”?

Anyway, Detective Pikachu is kind of about that, but I’d rather not spoil how it is for you. Just trust me. It’s in there.”

24. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

^in

25. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

this makes me want to buy Let's Go Pikachu on the Switch

DerekIsAGooner and RyanPm40 like this.