Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Rob Letterman, May 10, 2019) Movie • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by justin., Jan 29, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, in a general sense, the idea of spinoffs outside the Detective Pikachu premise is cool, & Mewtwo specifically is something that could be neat. Like, something inspired by the first Pokemon movie in the incredibly loose, vague way that superhero films borrow from comics, but mostly its own thing doing the most w/ the different medium & world, could be cool. But, yeah, I mostly just want new things.

justin. likes this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I don't think a film really works in the same format as the games. The idea of Detective Pikachu makes more sense because it isn't going to be overstuffed with content to appease people.

beachdude and coleslawed like this.
  3. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

They'd have to go through a bunch of the gym battles in Red/Blue as a montage in order to fit them all in and I really don't want that.

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

5. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Film 1: main character gets a starter, takes on the first gym, and has a showdown with team rocket.

Film 2: skip ahead in time. Main character beats the final gym/Giovanni and makes it through Victory Road. Movie ends when he/she reaches the elite 4.

Film 3: main character battles the elite 4, takes on Mewtwo, and shuts down team rocket for good.

6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

if I’m being 100% honest I would like nothing to do with actual Pokémon story.

just give me side stories like this and other stuff in the Pokémon world.

7. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Yeah I think having it be side stories set in the pokemon world is probably better than the tradition pokemon champion story. a lot of the reason that most video game movies fail is because they try to recreate a story thats meant to be played, so then the experience of watching it is like, "well wait why aren't i just playing this?" and it doesnt really work. The more successful video game movies are the ones that just take tropes and elements from video games (wreck it ralph, scott pilgrim, etc) and blend them with traditional story structures. Like I'm assuming this is going to do.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude like this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Nah, I personally disagree completely with that. It's another reason why adapting the original games would be bad, but that basic journey structure would be so easy to build films around.

Like, you don't have to make 8 or 9 films to depict every moment, every gym, etc., nor do you have to condense it all into one overstuffed film. No montages or whatever. Star Wars, Marvel, & so many other franchises have told successful stories where events happened between chapters that weren't important to see.

The first film would follow kind of an origin story, almost "hero's journey" model, where a new protagonist is introduced, the world is established, etc. The protagonist gets their first Pokemon at the end of the first act, & taking on the first gym would take up the third act. It's all there.

This is where another advantage of not adapting Red/Blue comes in: There's not a good way to break up Ash/Red's journey w/out having like 5 or so films, which is too much, or having weird pacing. Like, you couldn't go straight to Giovanni, nor could you downplay that battle's significance. But, w/ a new 8-gym adventure from scratch, you can make it work easy.

The second film would take place around the middle of the journey, maybe opening w/ getting the 4th badge, but this film would mostly ignore the gyms. It'd be where you tell the Team Rocket (or Rocket-type organization) story, w/ everything taking place in one time period instead of spread out along a whole game. The third act is all in their hideout in a basement or cave or whatever.

Then, the third time picks up the story thread of the Pokemon champion journey again. Opening sequence is getting the 8th badge (which, when built for these films, doesn't have to be a narratively important character like Giovanni). The film would revolve around Victory Road (act 1) & the Elite Four (act 2). The third act of this film? Facing the champion, who would be a character that existed in a recurring (but not distracting) role all along the trilogy. Either the rival, or a mentor. And, if a mentor... Could even be Ash/Red?

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

New trailer

beachdude, RyanPm40 and tvck like this.
  10. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

My local theater (Paragon) still hasn't put tickets up for sale yet ughhh

11. tvck

Trusted

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The Pokémon interactions I want to see

22FF6AE4-B032-4EA1-B050-79B523E65164.jpeg

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

That's the best trailer they've done so far hands down

justin. likes this.
  14. ugh can't wait - bought my tickets for 9:30 PM on May 9th!

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

jesus christ man

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yet again I'm asking the question: "Why does Tim not work for a film company?"

18. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Hands down the best trailer

This movie is going to make the world collective feel like a kid again

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  19. tvck

Trusted

Those first reactions got me hyped.

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

lol

22. Dog with a Blog

Lol this got me feeling all sorts of ways. Fuck. I can’t believe how many years I’ve been wanting this damn movie.

This is going to be the best movie I’ve ever seen in my life

23. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I’m seeing Endgame tonight but secretly I’m more hyped for this movie tbh

24. GBlades

Trusted

There was a trailer before my showing and everyone was hyped!!

Mrplum5089 likes this.