Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Podcasting

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by drstrong, Apr 13, 2016.

1. drstrong

I'm Back.

About to start a horror themed podcast for Horrortalk.com but looking for advice. Does anyone here have a podcast or any knowledge of the best setup?

I'm thinking using Google Hangouts/Voice or maybe Skype; there will be no video recording but trying to figure out the logistics of both. Google is easier since the four of us all have gmail accounts, but figuring out how to conference in Hangouts/Voice is kind of difficult.

Does anyone have experience in this?

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I use iFree Skype Recorder to record my calls in Skype when I podcast since my cohost lives in Chicago. When he's here we both plug in to Adobe Audition and can mix everything and it's glorious.

As for hosting, Squarespace is fantastic.

3. drstrong

I'm Back.

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that the podcast will be hosted by Horrortalk.com. We might use Soundcloud to upload the audio so that the website doesn't get bogged down with data usage and bandwidth.

We have a Google Voice number set up for voicemails, that's about it. I've tried to use Hangouts On The Air which broadcasts live to Youtube, but it seems kind of pointless to ONLY use that to extract the audio and then delete the video.

Skype is probably where it's at, and I think there is less lag using Skype over Google.

4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hows the quality on both ends with the skype recorder? Does one of you sound better than the other?

5. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

From what I've experienced it's been equally good quality on both ends.

6. drstrong

I'm Back.

We did our podcast over the weekend using Hangouts on Air, 2 out of the 3 of us had mic/headsets while the other was on his cell phone. If anyone is interested, it's right here and its horror related.

Podcasts

7. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Try Zencastr. I do an anime podcast with a couple friends. The last few recordings have been done on there.

8. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

9. A while back, trying to get ideas on how to do it better, so I'm pretty sure it's changed since whatever was on that post — if it still exists anywhere. Main thing is make sure both parties record separate audio then put it together later for the best quality, I like Audio Hijack for that, but there's plenty of options.

10. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

11. drstrong

I'm Back.

Thanks for the details, I need to get a virtual stereo mixer to be able to insert sounds so that everyone on the call can hear them. My soundcard doesn't have a built in stereo mixer.

12. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Overcast to get new podcasts? Bill Barnwell's new one from ESPN started this week but it still isn't up.

13. Whether you're using Ecamm's recorder or AudioHijack to record your Skype conversation, you should always always always record locally on both ends. Audacity, Garage Band, Logic, Audition, something should be recording your microphone directly. Skype tracks should be used as guides for syncing local tracks or emergency fallbacks only.

With my show, I interview a lot of people. Some have great mics with good software. Others have earbuds and no software. Using a Skype track is sometimes a necessary evil, but I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Gonna start an Oasis-themed pod where I discuss each song by the band with a different guest who has never heard the song, beginning with track one album one and moving chronologically. Ideally I'd like to open with playing the song, general discussion of the track with my providing some background info and the thoughts from the guest, and then a segment discussing a lyrical passage. Obviously it'll probably go off topic at times but I'd like it to be around 30 minutes. @Jason Tate i believe you guys play some music on your pod, right? Is there anything legally to worry about with including bands' music?

15. Depends on how much of the music you play I believe. Also will depend where you host the file (Soundcloud will probably pull down anything long cause their algorithms will find it), but if you're using small clips, I'm fairly certain you can call that fair use. But IANAL. Anytime we've played music, I've asked for permission, but we're playing small bands.

EngineDown likes this.
  16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I'm part of a bad movie podcast called At Least You Tried, I enjoy it.

17. Unless you have explicit permission to use the full work, I would stick to clips.

EngineDown likes this.