Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Podcast Listeners Really Are the Holy Grail Advertisers Hoped They’d Be

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Miranda Katz, writing for Wired:

Podcasters and advertisers alike have long suspected that their listeners might just be a holy grail of engagement. The medium is inherently intimate, and easily creates a one-sided feeling of closeness between listener and host—the sense that the person talking into your ear on your commute is someone you know, whose product recommendations you trust, and whose work you want to support.

I really need to find the time to get Encore rolling again on a more consistent basis. I miss doing the show every week.

Jonathan likes this.
  2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Shamelessly tossing my name into the hat for guests again. Let's talk tech, Tate.

bachna84, Ryan Gardner, Essie and 2 others like this.
  3. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I mean... there must be a reason why Stamps.com sponsors just about every podcast ever. Apparently it works well.

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  4. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Yup, recentlybought a Casper mattress tho the code didn't work for a twin so

5. MatthewLowry

Newbie Supporter

Do it!

6. kait_whiteside Feb 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2018)
    kait_whiteside

I bought a Quip toothbrush after hearing the ad on Pod Save America. They got me. I love it.

7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

makes sense. podcast listeners by and by seem to be < 40 millennials with expendable income. i think the only promo code i've bitten on was audible a couple of years ago, and i forgot to cancel for like 6 months, so they got a win over me lol

8. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I've honestly always wondered if these companies (Caspar, SquareSpace, Blue Apron, etc) really see a big return from sponsoring every podcast in the known universe

9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Have used Blue Apron because of the discount code from a podcast. I don't travel that much and I still want an Away suitcase.

Jonathan likes this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I need to get me some Charlotte's Web CBD oil with promocode WEIRD for 10% off.

11. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Citing Hollywood Handbook is a good one. The most recent example that comes to mind is another Earwolf podcast, Off Book. They improvise songs for the ads just like they do for the show and they're often enjoyable and entertaining for a lot of the same reasons as the podcast. They also get in my head like the best jingles out there. I've never been more cognizant of podcast advertising than when I found myself in Leesa to see what the fuss was about.

suicidesaints likes this.
  12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

^this is a great point.

By doing this, they've found ways to keep people from skipping ads, which is crucial, even getting your ad in front of people.

Also, I'm sure advertising on podcasts is much cheaper than advertising most other ways, and can reach a target demographic a lot easier.

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  13. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

The unique offer code is really important to targeting.

14. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

I can't say I've purchased anything yet from a podcast advertisement, but I have looked in to a few products and wouldn't be surprised if I did at some point.

I agree that Encore should come back on a more regular basis.

15. Kuri44

I only listen to a few podcasts, but the advertising done through Crooked Media always stands out to me. I like that the companies allow them so much freedom to advertise the products on there own terms/ in their own words to a degree. Sometimes they’re funny, over the top/ exaggerated, etc. It feels genuine while also having me intrigued.

16. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Highly recommend. I've got the bigger carry-on, which I believe is the largest one they make with the battery charging built-in. The built in storage, straps, and laundry bag are great. Really easy to get maximum storage in these.