Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

POC/LGBTQ+ Musicians Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Charlie Joseph, Mar 11, 2016.

1. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

No problem at all! I’m just glad you took the time to listen and give feedback, it really does mean a lot. It’s super interesting to me that, of the two, happy heart broke you seems to have gotten the more positive reception. It’s a pleasant surprise though! That song is definitely one of the most aggressive, in-your-face songs on the album, and definitely is super intricate with all the time signature changes and such. I’m glad you liked it.

Nice! How do you like it so far? You should come to a show some time!

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Really good so far. Haven't gotten out too much though haha. Been working a lot.
    I'd definitely be interested in doing that, I've been terrible at going out haha. I'm within walking distance of stuff like Snug and Visulite. @ me with info if you post it here or anything. Otherwise I'll keep an eye out!

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  3. nohandstoholdonto

We’re playing Snug on 11/17! If you think you could make that date, I’ll try and remind you about it closer to it.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I am always off on Friday night so that should work! Yeah just shoot me a reminder, thanks! I'll see about bringing someone as well.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

TriangularDuck and Contender like this.
  6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've probably posted this here before but I love this band so much I don't care.

I would also love any recommendations of emo bands with Queer members.

7. cwhit

there are a lot

coping skills, harmony woods, for everest, every other philly band.

Jake W likes this.
  8. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I miss Boris smile

9. nohandstoholdonto

algae and Contender like this.
  10. atlas

Trusted

Hey y'all, do you guys know any good songs by queer musicians about struggling with gender identity/dysphoria a la Against Me's Transgender Dysphoria Blues, FuckMyLife666, etc.? Doesn't have to be punk

11. Jake W

atlas and CarpetElf like this.
  12. Really loving Long Beard's album Sleepwalker. Kind of like a dreamier Gregory and the Hawk, and I didn't even think that was possible.

cwhit and algae like this.
  13. So this is weird... I listened to Jay Som's Everybody Works a few times, but couldn't really get into it until I finally listened to Turn Into and then came back to it. I guess that little bit of context, getting to know how one album led into the next, really helped me appreciate it. I've tried multiple times to get into Thao Nguyen's stuff, each time kind of just starting in the middle, though; maybe I just haven't been going about it the right way.

Of course I would come across Mitski, Japanese Breakfast, and Jay Som AFTER their tour together. Oh well; I'm making up for it by going to each of their headlining tours when they stop by the LA area. Already saw Mitski and Japanese Breakfast within the past few months, now to wait until Jay Som comes by. But see, the thing is, her next show in LA is supporting Japanese Breakfast in February. So, like, darn, she's not headlining, but also, yay, I get to see Michelle again, if I decide to go?

Also I need more Long Beard in my life WHERE IS SHE.

14. lightning

15. lightning

Contender likes this.
  16. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

storm likes this.
  17. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

will not leave my head

Contender and CarpetElf like this.
  18. Jake W

I hate shit like this. Of course all bands with Trans members are the same :sly:

Ugly Mug, maryp1603 and Contender like this.
  19. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Anyone know of some good LGBTQ or even gender/sex ambiguous (vocals like MBV, Sigur Ros for example) chillwave music?

20. cwhit

baths

Driving2theBusStation likes this.
  21. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I wish I could like this post more than once. Thanks, bud, love what I'm hearing of them so far. B-)

cwhit likes this.
  22. cwhit

new record is one of my favorites of the year. he's gone through a bunch of different sounds, from glitchier stuff to more chilled stuff, bunch of releases so you have plenty to dig into

Driving2theBusStation likes this.
  23. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Going off of this, Em is hilarious and Nervus are great for those who’ve never heard of them.

Jake W likes this.
  24. Jake W

Everyone should listen to Nervus

25. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I'm looking for bands fronted by gay men of color, the only one I know of is Bloc Party?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.