Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Playing for Tips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Hannah Karp, writing for The Wall Street Journal:

Young music fans today don’t buy many CDs or downloads, but the rise of virtual tip jars is evidence some fans are still willing to spend money on novel kinds of interactions with their favorite acts.

Zach Clayton, who is also 16 and a resident of Austin, Texas, said he earned more than $100,000 last year performing on a live-streaming app called YouNow. He is one of a growing number of performers who live on tips and gifts from online fans.

And:

Live-streaming for tips isn’t exactly glamorous work. Brent Morgan, a 29-year-old musician in Huntsville, Ala., broadcasts twice a day on YouNow for a total of three hours a day, playing guitar and other instruments while writing custom jingles on the spot for big tippers. He said he nets between $15,000 and $20,000 a month and plans to release his first album in the next few months.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Holy crap.

Jason Tate and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

20k a month. Got damn.

Jason Tate and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  4. This is super interesting, I've never heard of anything like this

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Next perk on the website: live stream of me coding and posting news.

Eh, eh? Y'all wanna tip for that!?

6. sign me up :crylaugh:

7. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Anybody else broke and consider playing guitar for strangers on the internet?

I'll take 200/month at this point, damn.

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Well you are always asking about supporter perk ideas. I'd probably fork over a couple more bucks to be able to hear whatever it is probably mutter to yourself when you have to post about We The Kings and shit like that.

9. jorbjorb

7 rings

fuck. this is the way to do it. good for him.

10. Hahaha. I do talk to myself a lot. And to the cats.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I wonder how this would work for classical playing. Like I could just play classical guitar repertoire on the site for an hour a day.. idk may be worth a try ha. Maybe out of service will do a few acoustic sessions on here as well

12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

"Isn't glamorous work" but plays guitar 3 hours a day for 20k a month lol

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like you can make a shit ton of money of these social media type things but there is a lot of money involved up front it seems and it also doesn't seem sustainable for a long time if you do gain any popularity.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  14. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Sold. I think this calls for a new tier in the supporter options.

Also, did anyone else hear that Matchbook Romance chorus in their head when they read the headline?

kpatrickwood likes this.
  15. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

YES.