Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Playdate: The New Handheld Video Game System

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 23, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Panic, a company known for their Mac and iOS software, has announced the Playdate, a new handheld video game system:

Playdate is both very familiar, and totally new. It’s yellow, and fits perfectly in a pocket. It has a black-and-white screen with high reflectivity, a crystal-clear image, and no backlight. And of course, it has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB-C, and a headphone jack. But it also has a crank. Yes, a crank: a cute, rotating analog controller that flips out from the side.

It also includes a full season of original games, at no extra charge, delivered each week to the system — games in all sorts of genres that are all hopefully surprises.

This looks adorable. Panic is a Portland based company that has their office not that far from where I live; I walk by their customizable sign all the time. The company is also one of the main reasons I started using a Mac after discovering their editor Coda, which was basically revolutionary to me at the time. This little video game system looks like a whole lot of fun and I wish them the best of luck.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Immediately signed up to be notified when this goes on sale. This looks fun.

3. transrebel59

Regular

Fun fact: the actual console was designed by Teenage Engineering.

justin. likes this.
  5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah this is what sold me on it

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm intrigued, but $149 is a decently expensive gamble. I'll check out reviews though, and I'll probably wait until all 12 games are out before I really consider buying since there's no guarantee that another game will be released for the platform.

I did subscribe to their announcements though.

7. transrebel59

Regular

This is going to sell out before release. They're making it very limited. It's supposed to be more of a weird collector's piece. These are going to go for a lot on eBay even if the games suck and even more if the games are good.

8. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

This thing is so uniquely fun.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Is it really? I followed the updates for a while, but the more I looked at it, the less and less appealing it appeared. So I didn't end up picking it up.