Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pitchfork Launches Beer-Focused Website

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pitchfork have launched a new digital publication focused on beer. It’s called October.

A destination for devotees and novices alike to read about, learn about, and share their appreciation for beer and celebrate the culture around it. The site is being launched in partnership with ZX Ventures, AB InBev’s incubator and venture capital fund that focuses on increasing awareness and excitement around beer and brewing culture.

The web design is infuriating, but the writing seems to be of Pitchfork’s well-known style:

October aims to capture the spirit, ambition, and wort-soaked labor of the gambrinus pursuit — the making and drinking of the good life. Through essays, travels, events, and an objective look at what makes beer so damn good, our hope is that you’ll find resonance here, something of unusual quaffability, as part of the drinking class.

2. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Wow that design is... something.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

As someone who loves craft beer, no thank you.

cubsml34 likes this.
  4. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I think I like the idea, but not the execution.

5. ARo24

Regular

I saw a mention about Hopslam. I quickly closed the window though way too much going on there.

6. wow. that design really is so terrible

7. Craig Manning

I wonder if it will make liking beer seem like a chore, like Pitchfork has made enjoying music feel like a chore.

8. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Yea I'll stick to the beer thread

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I skimmed through the site the other day and it's really, really, really pretentious as expected. Definitely would make drinking beer a chore, I don't see it catching on

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'll just keep mixing six-packs of random stuff that sounds good to me. No need for this.

11. devenstonow

Noobie

can't get on it at work, but the beer community can be so ridiculously pretentious.

If AB Inbev does literally anything (a commercial, buy a brewery - even through methods other than 'an offer they can't refuse'), they take it as a direct personal attack. They take the existence of Coors Light, Bud Light, etc... as a personal insult.

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Looking around my local stores and reading labels, plus visiting breweries, PLUS the beer thread here... that certainly covers it for me

13. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'll admit myself to be a bit of a beer snob, but I completely agree with you that it isn't necessary to take everything so personally, or perceive everything done by the macrobreweries as an attack on good beer. And I make that latter point because I know how much great craft beer is hitting the market every day (despite the industry putting up a lot of barriers to it) and companies like AB InBev aren't going to stop it, and thankfully for consumers they don't need to.

That said, I'll always be suspicious of a project like this that's partnered with a giant conglomerate.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Yeah, pretty much the same. There are probably 15-20 breweries from Michigan that I'll buy anything from, and I've got two great bottle shops near me that have new stuff for me to try and discover every time I go in. I'm not sure what I'd gain from reading a Pitchfork-style publication about beer, but I'm guessing nothing.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

If every article isn't

then the website sucks

Drew Beringer and jordalsh like this.
  16. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

Looks pretentious, not surprising coming from Pitchfork. On a slightly unrelated note, has anyone tried MMMHops before?