Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Rønning/Sandberg, May 26, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Oct 4, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

[​IMG]

Yup. They made another one.

2. I love, and have seen multiple times, the teaser for this.

Stunning, scary and really sparks the magic of the first.

coleslawed and kyle like this.
  3. I have faith they can do something similar to the first.

4. circasurviver

Trusted

Although The first movie is the only one I would call a good movie, the 3rd film is the only one I hated. So I guess I'm looking forward to this.

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I hope so.

6. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I didn't think the CGI looked all that great, on Salazar in particular. The way the hair moves just looks... rough. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky. I have fun memories of seeing the original trilogy in theaters with friends. I'm sure I'll end up seeing this one, too.

7. devenstonow

Noobie

Really? I've only watched it once, but I thought literally the exact opposite and thought, at least his face, was amazing.

big budget blockbusters (even transformers) deserve respect simply for how insane their vfx are

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i'm not sure i've seen #4,but this made me want to go back and watch the rest of them again.

9. airik625

The fourth looked so bad. I couldn't even finish the third.

10. 4 was boring and unnecessary. 3 was clumsy and convoluted but not necessarily bad.

11. The trailer looked pretty cool. I really hope this is good.

12. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I will see it regardless but yea, the trailer looked fun

13. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Just looked up some of the facts surrounding this film and the budget is immense at $320m which is admittedly less than the last one but that is still a staggering amount. I have never been able to understand why these films cost considerably more than other films since the third one cost $300m and the fourth was around $400m. This is also set to be the second longest at 153 minutes, so the one thing people praised the last one for has been thrown out the window.

14. airik625

IMG_0638.JPG

New trailer tomorrow.

15. devenstonow

Noobie

The combination of big names and shooting on location are two factors. Also, I don't know exact numbers, but I would assume CGI for Davy Jones alone costs a couple million.

but yeah huge set pieces ain't cheap. They filmed this in Australia, which will inevitably cost more for labor/materials than (my one point of reference) the countries Survivor films in where they use local labor

16. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

this looks sick

17. secretsociety92

I get that just surprises how much they spend on one series, no other film series has spent $300m on three separate films before. Surprises me even more that they keep throwing massive amounts of money at it when the box office returns are hardly stellar.

18. devenstonow

Noobie

globally Dead Man's Chest, On Stranger Tides, and (almost) At World's End have reached the billion $$$ mark

19. secretsociety92

I can see Dead Man's Chest making money because that didn't cost anywhere near the same amount but the other two costing as much as they did production wise plus whatever the marketing costs I doubt the profit margin is large (overall gross usually has to be 2.5 times what it cost to make) which begs the question, why risk it? I guess the toy line makes up for it.

20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The first one is obviously a fantastic movie and the rest of the series is a huge guilty pleasure for me. Probably because I grew up with them kind of (I was 7 when the first one came out and have seen every single one in theaters) but I'm genuinely pretty excited for this

21. The first one is a classic and the rest are pretty good to ehh, but I really enjoy this series.

22. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Seeing this Monday night. I haven't seen any of the films since the second one. Do I need to see the other films to understand the story of this? Are the sequels standalone films or are they connected?

23. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Three was a direct continuation of Two. Four is basically a standalone besides expecting a basic understanding of the characters. This one will likely be the same as Four.

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  24. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

As I mentioned last week, I caught an advance screening of this last night. It was alright, nothing to write home about. Lot of battle sequences and the usual CGI-enhanced antagonist. I didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table at all.

2.5* (out of 5)

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That's all I'm expecting really. This has become a franchise that churns out very average films that all feel the same. Shame - I loved the first back when I was at school.