Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pirate Radio Stations Explode on YouTube

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 4, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jonah Engel Bromwich, writing at The New York Times:

College Music had 794 subscribers in April 2015, a year before Mr. Pritchard and Mr. Laxton started streaming. A month after they began, they had more than 18,440. In April 2016, they had 98,110 subscribers and as of last month, with three active live streams, they have more than triple that amount, with 334,000. They make about $5,000 a month from the streams.

The boys stumbled upon a new strategy, one that, in the past two years, has helped a certain kind of YouTube channel achieve widespread popularity. Hundreds of independently run channels have begun to stream music nonstop, with videos that combine playlists with hundreds of songs and short, looped animations, often taken from anime films without copyright permission.

2. tomtom94

Trusted

A complete disregard for copyright? On YouTube? Surely not.

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  3. Benny Burrito

I love these things. They've introduced me to the whole "chill hop/jazz hop" genre/thing.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  4. NOW.jpg

Benny Burrito likes this.
  5. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

This is such an interesting generational/cultural thing. I would never, ever think to go listen to a Youtube channel for hours but it makes perfect sense for those that are also into Livestreams and such.