Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pinegrove - Skylight (September 28, 2018) Album • Page 94

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Sep 27, 2017.

1. chris

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I hate the tone of those newsletters

Carrow likes this.
  2. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Of course Evan is writing those updates, who else would be?

3. BoldTitan

Trusted

Lol this forum

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

"lol"

Contender likes this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm more of a "haha" guy myself

Contender likes this.
  6. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

This thread is scary shameful.

dadbolt likes this.
  7. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Evan’s sketchiness aside, I really feel like this band has become a parody of themselves at this point

8. TheoW593

Regular

How so?

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Tortellini lol YUM also we recorded ACOUSTIC versions lol and guys we recorded them in our living room!!! We made our living room a studio isn’t that neat! Well here is some sexual assault awareness things we are doing cus - well I’m not gonna say why but you know ;)

Anyway pumpkin tortellini yayyy

10. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Now I want to try pumpkin tortellini tho l guess that makes me a bad person.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yes definitely makes you a bad person, totally not a straw man right there

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I would be willing to bet my one remaining kidney that wasn’t what Colin was trying to say

13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Sorry I'm french idk what that means

Connor and teebs41 like this.
  14. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I don’t have much stake on any of this so forgive my ignorance, but what is so bad about talking about tortellini?

teebs41 likes this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

literally how the fuck would he assume anyone thinks he’s a bad person for wanting pumpkin tortellini? Seemed like a ridiculously flippant post

FTank and Anthony_ like this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

He would feel bad for wanting tortellini bc of the context it was brought up in. It was in a negative context so he feels bad for wanting it.

17. mattfreaksmeout Dec 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I took that as a complete joke tbh i don’t think he was trying to belittle anything. I hope not anyway

KidLightning, teebs41 and Connor like this.
  18. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Just feel like they’re taking the dorky/awkward/twee persona thing way too far. It comes across to me at best as eye-rollingly over the top cringey and at worst as disingenuous, but I’m definitely more cynical about this band now than I was when Cardinal first came out for obvious reasons.

cherrywaves likes this.
  20. TheoW593

Regular

Is it possible that it wasn't a pre-planned social media persona but the guy just has an enthusiastic personality? Strikes me as a bit emblematic of the issues in this thread - that people are acting like he "should" be somber as long as they judge it necessary.

activepassive likes this.
  21. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

it's an annoying persona that basically serves as a defense mechanism to play down the seriousness of what you're saying so people can't call you out on stuff. the fact that he's navigating a tricky situation means that he should probably choose his words very carefully, and if this the vibe he wants, it's weird.

also, isn't evan like 30 years old? very creepy for a 30 year old man to write like a middle schooler.

22. It’s even creepier to have 30+ year olds defending him.

23. dadbolt Dec 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 7, 2018)
    dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

evan found a lot of success in this scene being ~earnest and sincere~ and that schtick falls horribly flat considering everything we know now.

if you think the issue in this thread is the tone regarding an abuser maybe you should take a step back and reflect for a minute

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Evan comes off to me like a kid who got caught doing something bad, played it very somber when he knew he was in trouble and then gets really excited and casual when they think they're off the hook.

It's not a perfect comparison, but I feel like he's comparable to Aziz Ansari where he made his brand about "protecting women" and seeing from their perspective when he was doing the exact opposite. And now, instead of being open about his accountability, he's chosen to ignore it and try and move on without addressing it (beyond one article). It's a bad move.

OotyPa, Contender, dadbolt and 9 others like this.