Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pinegrove Frontman Apologizes for Sexual Coercion • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I hate to have a negative outlook, but to me this sounds like a statement that is anticipating a backlash in the future. Like he found out there were going to be allegations of some sort against him, and is trying to get out in front of them. I hope I'm wrong.

2. The Format

Regular

agree to disagree i guess.

Heart and mirrorsandfevers like this.
  3. ihaveblink

Regular

i guess he's sorry he broke up a relationship... with a fan who had a boyfriend?

4. The Format

Regular

Nice avatar.

5. Clearly a lot is missing about what happened. Lots of things don't add up here.

6. ihaveblink

Regular

7. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

I was wondering this as well. Is this a response to an allegation? Or is he anticipating one? This whole situation is very strange.

Heart likes this.
  8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

According to @cwhit there was a post by the allegedly coerced yesterday that used similar language, but it was taken down. So technically... this wasn't preempetive.

KidLightning and astereo like this.
  9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Oh for sure, this very issue is universal regardless of fame. I really just meant that with the number of celebrities in the news right now, they should all be reflecting on this. But ideally everyone should be learning too that there's a long list of ways in which people can consciously or unconsciously abuse power or take advantage of people in relationships.

Anna Acosta and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Loosely related, but the discussion had on The Watch podcast yesterday about this broad issue was really strong. It first focuses on Transparent, but then goes on to talk more broadly about the abuse of power across hollywood, music and sports by men, and how we are reckoning with celebrity/art/power etc.

11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this gives me a bad vibe and makes me think there's more coming...

mirrorsandfevers likes this.
  12. Lucas27 Nov 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 21, 2017)
    Lucas27

Trusted

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd be more skeptical about Evan preempting a more damning accusation if so much wasn't going on in the scene already. This scene has been hit so hard by Jesse Lacey (on top of the entertainment industry in general) that I can see just really wanting to empty out all the skeletons you have. Especially as a frontman. Even if it's not entirely necessary, it holds you accountable.

Hazelnutsack and The Format like this.
  13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

there is no reason to have any respect for abusers admitting to things they've done, it's what any person should actually do

Lucas27 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Seeing what I’ve seen and talking to certain people, I won’t be supporting or listening to this band anymore. Such a shame but at this point I’m not surprised.

15. BernYourEnthusiasm

I don't think this one looks good at all. I don't think Petal stands to gain anything by making Pinegrove look bad. They're cancelling all tour dates (many of which are sold out) because he had a fling with a consenting women is basically the way his statement sounds- that really doesn't pass the smell test for me. I think there is more to this.

tshreve and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

Right on. I was assuming that things had been resolved more than they have been and weren't as serious as they probably are. My bad. Edited my comment.

17. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

And if allegations came out first, and then he posted this, he’d only be doing it cause he was backed into a corner? That’s a double edged sword.

Heart and zachmacD like this.
  18. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Read this last night when it was doing the rounds on Facebook. It seemed to be a very long statement, detailing very little and not actually describing anything which sounds like coercion to me. Unless he's kind of whitewashed his own behaviour a bit and he was far more manipulative than his statement suggests?

I also couldn't get on with the tone that his male performer privilege prevents him from having relationships where he's not controlling the power dynamic. I can't help but feel that makes it sound like women just have no control over their own behaviour if he puts his mind to it. Sounds either creepy or just big headed. I'm sure there are plenty of strong willed women who would have no problem dealing with this guy and his massive fame...

zachmacD and kait_whiteside like this.
  19. zachmacD

Trusted

yeah, this opens up so many different doors that I think it does more harm than good. SO many relationships are a thing because one of the people are in a leadership position or an artist of some kind and the other person is attracted to them because of that. I think his response is due to all the backlash that artist and people in the entertainment industry are receiving. Granted, most of those are warranted but there have been a couple that seem to be blown out of proportion and the other party is just airing out dirty laundry about the "celebrity"

20. zachmacD

Trusted

the fist half of your statement sucks. I think his statement is completely unnecessary but when these guys don't apologize first everyone says that it's too late. Now someone does It ahead of time to get in front of it and you say he's trying to control the narrative.

youwontknow and Heart like this.
  21. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I've been thinking a lot about this. Most statements have been highly criticized because "they are only apologizing because they got caught." Now someone puts something out without context and most responses (including mine earlier) are criticisms because there must be more to it, and some people are wondering if they can still listen to Pinegrove. I guess I feel like there are no statements that are constructive, so I don't know why we take so much stock in them. Most of the important work is probably done behind the scenes, and we never know.

tyramail and zachmacD like this.
  22. _unproductive

Regular

Agreed. I don’t think there will ever be an apology that pleases people.

carrytheweird and zachmacD like this.
  23. zachmacD

Trusted

Absolutely. To me, its pretty selfish that the general public complains about the quality of the statement or complains when the accused doesn't' directly apologize to the victim in their statements. A public statement is not the place for an apology of this magnitude and why does the artist need to be so open that they openly share their apology with the public? If I was a victim of abuse, I wouldn't expect or want the apology shared with the public. It just comes off like the accused is trying to save face. Obviously it's nice to share an update with your fan base but I don't feel like it's required. I think people just like drama

Like ok you supported the artist but that's because you enjoy their music. I don't go to shows and listen to a band to support them even though I'm indirectly doing that but that's not my sole purpose. All people do things because they are getting something out of it whether its status or to make ourselves feel good.

And just because I like a band doesn't mean that I feel like the band owes me anything. The fact that people are at a loss for words when band member does something terrible and question whether or not they are good people because an artist that they liked did something terrible is insane to me. What Jesse Lacey did was horrible but so many people in that thread were making themselves victims for whatever reason. I feel for the victims but I don't feel victimized when the people I admire turn out to be human. End rant

Heart likes this.
  24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

No statements are constructive because it doesn't take away from the repulsive actions. Whether or not someone has a 'great' statement, it doesn't take away that they were acting like a massive piece of shit. And I'm sure these statements are ran through execs, lawyers, PR, etc and edited so many times that by the time they come out, it's probably not even their own words. Do people think Evan (or any other accused person) are just posting these things on a whim?

If someone is accused of rape but has a great statement, are we supposed to applaud them? If someone is accused of petty theft but has a repulsive statement, do we bury them?

zachmacD likes this.
  25. _unproductive

Regular

No, and no. But why is this becoming so black and white? Life has grey area so we should stop pretending that doesn’t exist.

He statement is being over analyzed and details assumed.