Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pierce the Veil Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Will Montei

Anyone else think Pierce the Veil's sound has become increasingly more busy and cluttered with the release of Misadventures? I'm worried the qualities that make them unique are going to get even more drowned out in production with the next release. I don't care how hardworking he was, the producer they worked with only accentuated their worst attributes.

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The bongo-whatever drums in the first verse of Phantom power are a good example of a fantastic moment getting drowned out.

Will Montei likes this.
  3. Will Montei

YES! I've had the exact same thought. Like, when the bongos come in I get really pumped, only to have the song go an entirely different direction. Pisses me off every time.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Such a tease. The groove in the rest of the track is so real that it doesn't exactly keep it from being a FANTASTIC track, but alas, could have been more.

Will Montei likes this.
  5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Also there's like 2-3 too many breakdowns. Other than that, no complaints

6. sukottokairu

Regular

I don't think anyone in the band is what is holding them back on their last two albums, I believe it is the producer, from some interviews with the band I read after Misadventures was released, it seemed pretty obvious that the producer forces a lot of things on them, it sounds like for this last album they were forced to scrap 2 songs and write 2 new replacement songs in studio. and things like in "texas is forever", the main riff was supposed to start played by the bass instead of the guitar. but they were forced to change it to a more generic approach because the producer pushed to change it.

even with all that said, i like misadventures a lot, i didn't like the metalcore sound of CWTS when it first came out, although after going back to it i appreciate it a lot more. Misadventures is a great album though, very solid, i enjoy it a lot. a little more experimentation wouldn't hurt though.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

What bass? Totally can't hear it in the final mix lol. Cool to hear they are trying to break from their more generic ways, but wow, bummer. Song rips anyway.

Wonder what songs were written in studio...

8. Checkered

Regular

Why do they not play anything off Flair live?

9. 180xSummer

lately it's been getting late, but i'm not tired

They play Yeah Boy and Doll Face occasionally which is still their best song imo

10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

A Flair For The Dramatic is the best PtV album by such an insane gap. Musically it's their most diverse and experimental, and vocally it shows Vic is actually capable of doing some interesting things with his voice. I also think it has his best lyrics. There's a level of detail on that album that I miss a lot on everything that came after it (outside of a couple moments here and there).

In a perfect world, they'd go back to Casey Bates for album 5.

180xSummer likes this.
  11. Will Montei

Really? I prefer Selfish Machines. I'll give A Flair for the Dramatic a few more listens, though. I've definitely spent more time with Selfish Machines.

12. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I like all their albums, Selfish Machines feels like an in-between album though. There was still some elements of their first album, but it was definitely the beginning of them heading toward or more straight forward, or more "accessible" sound. Songs like Million Dollar House and Stay Away From My Friends are kind of different, but then it also has a lot of songs pushing them towards what they are now like Caraphanellia and Bulletproof Love. But I don't know. My girlfriend's favorite is Selfish Machines too, but she's also a much different music listener than I am.

13. 180xSummer

lately it's been getting late, but i'm not tired

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at too; A Flair for the Dramatic was definitely much more organic (I think that's the word I'm looking for?) while Selfish Machines was kind of a stepping stone to what they are now. Selfish Machines is still a good album but it's nowhere near as cohesive or raw as Flair I think

14. sukottokairu

Regular

yeah the bass intro didn't make the final cut, it was completely changed to be guitar only, by the producer, haha. a perfect example of something that could have been really unique, turning generic instead! still a good song though.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  15. Will Montei

I guess I'm fine with their sound being "accessible." What bothers me is that with Misadventures there's no cohesion between all the elements they bring to every song. Awesome moments are about 2 seconds long and are immediately lost with the next random idea they decide to toss in.

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The songs from Misadventures with CB's production would have made this without a doubt the best PTV imo. I think I'd rank Flair above it though, with SM slightly after both and CWTS in the dirt.

17. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think it would depend. I have no doubt Casey would have pushed them more than the guy who produced CWTS and Misadventures, but it would come down to in what way. The vocal melodies are my biggest complaint with Misadventures, which is weird because usually I don't care or notice but Vic's kind of become a one trick pony as far as vocals go, so they're just kind of boring on the album. I want to believe this band still has another album in the quality of Flair in them, but it won't happen if they keep with this same producer I don't think.

18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Gotta disagree there, loved a lot of the vocal melodies on here. Maybe it's not super varied, but they work well and are super earcatching

19. Checkered

Regular

Even playing one song is a bit disappointing.

Hour and a half headline set with nothing off it is just rude

20. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Is there a particular reason they play such short sets? That seems so uncommon for a band as huge as they are. Drella would be one I really wanna see live.

21. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Honestly, their lack of long setlists (and especially playing any sort of older songs at all) are a big reason I struggle to go to their shows. They play at pretty big venues so ticket price is usually $35+ for any of their shows but if they're only playing 12-14 songs it just doesn't justify the price for me at this point.

22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think it has something to do with the genre. Dance Gavin Dance does the same thing because of how strenuous screaming and such is on the voice. I know some bands can easily do more, but everyone works a little different.

23. Checkered

Regular

Since when is a 90 minute set short?

24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I would have thought as they ascended to the heights they are at now that they would have expanded past that. I get it but it's still weird.

25. Will Montei

I agree with Benjamin Lee. Vocals on Misadventures were Vic's worst thus far. Strained, often with no discernible melody throughout.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.