Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pierce the Veil Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Will Montei

Agreed on the vocals. Album had energy to spare, which is its most redeeming quality. But sometimes I feel like the truly exceptional moments were drowned out by distracted songwriting. Right when something groovy happened it abruptly transitioned into familiar territory.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I know PtV isn't really a band that has changed a lot, I mean, they got a little heavier with each release from A Flair through Collide, but when I first heard Circles I was kind of excited at the idea that they might experiment more this release. Floral and Fading is a pretty different song for them, but it really was filled with moments where I was like "oh this is new and cool" followed by "oh, back to this again". Lyrical, this is actually my favorite since their first album, not as many cringe moments as SM and CwtS, but Vic seemed to go into a default for most of the melodies and that added to the disappointment of those moments that get drowned out.

Will Montei likes this.
  3. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Alright I'm a few months late but this album got me interested in these guys again after really not liking CWTS. what's the deal with that record anyway?

4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think they essentially just signed to a much larger label and went with a bit heavier and more generic sound as a result. Though, Tangled in the Great Escape is probably my favorite song by them. I still like the album, and I don't think it's a massive step down, but it's definitely my least favorite without contest.

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Completely on different footing it seems. I think this album is a huge dud and really took a step back in my eyes.

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I don't know, Misadventures at least experiments at moments which is more than can be said about CWTS. I didn't want the band to continue getting heavier, so I'm happy they toned it back instead on here.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My buddy has always told me to check these guys out and I always put it off until recently when I met Tony. Tony is actually a customer of my girlfriend so I stopped in for a workout and I was introduced to him. He's a super nice dude and glad to see he's recovered from his accident. I haven't checked out their earlier stuff, but the new album is awesome.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  8. Bane

The spiciest meme

Yeah CWTS didn't interest me for the most part aside from 1 or 2 songs yet I really like Misadventures

9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Ahhh, I'm not alone. Even as a letlive. fan, I think the song with Jason was soooooo boring, which is a huge drag. But the whole thing sounds like generic boring mallcore overall. Misadventures is just a blast on the flipside. I love how unpredictable it is.

Same

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I think CWTS is fantastic and I usually listen to it all the way through. I haven't been able to get into this album as much yet

Penguin likes this.
  11. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

CWTS is my second fave. Not much from this new one is sticking yet.

Will Montei likes this.
  12. Will Montei

Yeah, I don't get the CWTS hate. Misadventures, if anything, felt like a step down, if only because their was no growth, maturation, or new ideas between albums.

Penguin likes this.
  13. Kristen

Regular

agreed. CWTS is my favorite album from them. I don't really understand when people say it's boring and Misadventures isn't. I had to force myself to finish Misadventures. It's not bad, it's just not memorable in any way.

Penguin likes this.
  14. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

To be fair, Pierce the Veil isn't really a band that changed much with each release. They got slightly heavier and a little more "generic" each release from A Flair through Collide. Misadventures at least experiments a little with a few synths, and Floral and Fading being one of the most out of the ordinary for them thing they've really done. I like all of their albums, almost equally, but I do think CWTS is easily the weakest in the bunch still.

15. Will Montei

I think that's part of the frustration. Who in the band is holding them back? Clearly they have talent in multiple genres, can write some sweet riffs, and know a thing or two about theory. It seems like with all those factors there should be more progression. Four albums in, we should be hearing them experiment with jazz, not synths.

16. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I mean, experimentation is experimentation. I don't think they need to go to the extreme of jazz or anything. I would've liked to see them fleshed out the synth stuff more though. I think there was definite growth between CWTS and Misadventures, maybe not as much as I'd of liked, but there was some. I don't think the band will ever top A Flair For The Dramatic though, so part of me feels the two they added after that album was recorded might be what is holding them back. But I don't know.

I will say on at least the show I went to, it was a short set but the show was still the same length as other shows I'd been to with longer sets.

17. Will Montei

I will never stop pushing for PTV to make a jazz/metal/pop fusion track.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  18. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Haha, fair enough. I mostly would like to hear Vic do more with his voice. I feel like he's a very capable vocalist, but he takes zero risks and never really pushes is it that much.

19. Will Montei

He needs to stop straining! I want to hear him sing a clean note without squealing. I thought it was cool in high school - no longer.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  20. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

His occasional squeak sound is kinda odd, it's on a lot of Selfish Machines. haha I'd love for him to have a less nasally performance that shows a lot more range on a song. Just once. I really would love this band to work with Aaron Marsh because he seems to always bring out fantastic vocal performances.

21. Will Montei

Or Justin Vernon. It would never happen, but I'd like to see what happened.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  22. septimus

They played Kissing In Cars in Brisbane last night, what a throwback.

23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Those 80s synths on Gold Metal Ribbon are the bomb though.

24. Will Montei

That's one of those things that gets drowned out by all the shit they stuff in their songs, though. No cool moment gets adequate breathing room.

25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Yeah, this album's really busy, which is one thing I really like about these guys, but there's moments I feel they get ahead of themselves. Or it could have been mixed better.