Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

As seen from Malibu at sunrise, with the haze of LA in the distance - can right-click open in a new tab to view a bigger version

[​IMG]

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Seeing this picture again made me realize that the waves are a bit too dark imo, so I'll try decreasing the shadow levels to make them a bit brighter

3. When was this taken?

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Took this back in mid January in 2018; was camping at a small rv park right near the coast up from Malibu, and got down to the beach before the sun came up. Was pretty amazing

popdisaster00 likes this.
  5. Ferrari333SP May 6, 2020
    (Last edited: May 6, 2020)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

A few more - I'm a newb when it comes to settings, pretty much always leaving on auto, and therefore putting more effort into composition, but my goal for the next year is to finally spend time with the different settings on the camera, what they mean and what situation they're best used in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brent, Glasses, JBoch and 4 others like this.
  6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

so what does this mean in English haha

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Sorry for all the questions

8. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Instead of making edits to the whole image, the radial filter lets you pick certain parts of the image to make changes to. For example, if you want to make the center of the image brighter than the rest, you can put a radial filter over the center and adjust exposure for that part only.

This video shows it well. The whole Phlearn channel itself has really useful tutorials for learning lightroom.

K0ta, Ferrari333SP and David87 like this.
  9. order of the bhills

@Ferrari when I got my first DSLR, i put that sucker in M and never looked back. TBH I have no idea which dial setting is aperture priority or shutter priority. This was SUPER helpful when I moved to doing much more film.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  10. DarthSidious May 15, 2020
    (Last edited: May 15, 2020)
    DarthSidious

As I can see, there are a lot of pro photographers here. Can anyone give advice to a newbie? I can't open photos made on my new iPhone 11 using the PC. These photos have HEIC format and I need JPEG to operate with them. How can I convert these photos? I searched for this information on the internet, also asked my friends for advice. One of them told me that I can try this HEIC to JPG Converter Free Download | PC Windows 10 Software service. It looks nice, but neither me or my friend I'm telling about didn't use it either. Maybe someone knows if it's good? As I can see by reviews, this app is perfect.

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I only learned recently myself that my iPhone was taking photos in HEIC and not jpg, and it was extremely annoying. I got a new 11 back in February, and I guess on these phones the default format now is HEIC. To change this back to jpg, go to Settings, all the way down to Camera, then Formats. High Efficiency (HEIC) will be checked, but switch it to Most Compatible. If you want to shoot video at 4k levels, it forces you to switch the camera back to HEIC, which is annoying, but so rare that I'll ever shoot video with my phone, so just leave it at 1080p HD at 60 fps.

To convert your current photos from HEIC to jpg, use this site: Free HEIC to JPEG/JPG Online Photo Conversion Tool

Just literally drag and drop up to five photos at once into the box, and it'll convert the photos; then download them. Then repeat with the next five. Only five at once is kind of annoying, but it goes quickly.

12. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder how much quality is lost doing it like that.

13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

From what I can tell, not much

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

The Minneapolis skyline - took back in May of 2017 - the bridge I stood on to take the photo isn't there anymore

[​IMG]

15. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Since traveling's a no-go for a while, I've been revisiting old trip photos and found some shots I never got around to editing until now. These are a few from a trip to Tenerife from this time last year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Those are sick, especially the 2nd to last one; those buildings almost look CGI-like. What are they for?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  17. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Thanks! Those buildings house the telescopes for the Teide Observatory.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

So my personal photography site is done! Used SmugMug for the platform, and I had a small company out in California do the actual design/layout work of the site itself. www.thomasengrav.com - I modeled it after Chris Burkard's website; he's one of my fav outdoor/landscape photographers, and his site looked great, so I tried to imitate his as much as possible. SmugMug takes care of the selling, printing, and shipping of your photos, which is awesome. Everything on the site should work/function, but if you do visit and find bugs let me know! So excited!

Garrett and fastlife like this.
  19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Chris Burkard :heart:

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

So a week camping in Grand Teton National Park was amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JBoch, coleslawed, mattav152 and 6 others like this.
  22. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Wow!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

A few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RyanPm40, JBoch, David87 and 8 others like this.
  24. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Anyone been able to get any shots of Comet NEOWISE? I tried from my apartment, but with all the light pollution in the city it's pretty faint. Got a couple okay-looking timelapses though, posted here.

Hoping to get out and try again now that it's showing up after sunset.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  25. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

These are some sweet shots! Teton and Yellowstone are easily the top of my bucket list for places in the US to shoot (both landscapes and wildlife). Theres so much more drama from the hard angular stone of the Teton range, especially during golden hour, compared to the green mountaintops we have here in New England.

RyanPm40, Brent and Ferrari333SP like this.