Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 8

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. EarthShifts

Trusted

Any thoughts on where else to share photos if I don’t have Instagram? I know that’s the easiest, but is it the only good way nowadays?

2. fastlife

Regular Supporter

On vacation and tried my hand at light trails a few nights ago. Didn't get the car all the way down the road like I wanted and had to leave after I took this one, but I'm happy with it as a first attempt. Will probably play around with this one some more, it's a little too dark for my liking right now.

[​IMG]

jorbjorb, David Parke, Ken and 5 others like this.
  3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

if anything, i’d go a little darker/less exposed so the colors pop more.

fastlife likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Sick

fastlife likes this.
  5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Where is this? Looks like a super cool spot

fastlife likes this.
  6. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I’ll give it a shot and see how it looks!

The Dolomites in northern Italy. This spot’s called Passo Giau. Only a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to get to this spot, and not too steep (although it can be a touch freaky at points if you don’t like narrow trails or heights).

Lots of epic peaks here, highly recommended if you like hanging in the mountains.

JBoch, coleslawed, Ken and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Dolomites are incredible.

fastlife and Ferrari333SP like this.
  8. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Super sick dude. What were you shooting? Got a place to follow your work?

fastlife and Ken like this.
  9. fastlife Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2023)
    fastlife

Regular Supporter

Thank you! Used my a7s with the 16-35 f4.

For now, I’m posting sporadically on Instagram. Feel free to follow if you’d like, appreciate the interest for sure!

jorbjorb, coleslawed and Ken like this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

wow! your photography is amazing

fastlife likes this.
  11. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Thanks for checking it out!

Ken likes this.
  12. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I just recently got into Polaroid photography. I bought two packs on Black Friday (still like $50 with shipping) and the package seems to have been stolen out of my building. So bummed.

13. cherrywaves

Trusted

Bump. Got a Nikon D3400 awhile back because I heard it was a good entry-level model, and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Wanted to do more with it last year but I'm hopefully going to get further into taking pictures this year. Gonna comb through the thread.

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I (finally got off my ass and) start my photography certificate through the University of Tennessee on Thursday. I have so much to learn, but I've never been more excited.

Keri and fastlife like this.
  15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

0220B61B-10FE-4925-ABF1-6664FF689F55.jpeg

Portland is such a cool city

K0ta, I Am Mick, Brent and 1 other person like this.
  16. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Just bought the Fujifilm x100f for my birthday/some tax return money lol. Just in time for not being able to go outside/not using it and being quarantined inside booooooo. Had some exciting things planned this month and was wanting to take it for a spin with it but looks like that is probably not happening.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Not much of a landscape photographer, I focus more on wildlife, but heres's a couple recent shots from Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Also Instagram sucks and compresses stuff like crazy.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Finally putting together my own photography website, through SmugMug; editing photos through Lightroom took a lonngggg time, but having only learned it a few weeks ago, I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to do with it. Hope to have the site live by next weekend; I'll share here in case you want to check it out!

One of my favorites so far; small street in Bergen, Norway

[​IMG]

JBoch, jorbjorb, fastlife and 3 others like this.
  19. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Me trying to use Lightroom and having zero idea what I’m actually supposed to be doing to my pictures to make them look good:
    [​IMG]

Garrett likes this.
  20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hahaha; yeah it's pretty much trial and error for newbies like us. I've been using Lightroom CC, which is the simpler version of Lightroom, compared to the traditional Lightroom Classic CC, which is the main one that's been around for a long time. Provides more customization, but is a little more difficult (I've read) to get a handle of. Lightroom CC provides just a bunch of sliders to adjust the various levels in different categories, and easily allows you to apply presets to your pics. Plus, there's ton of present packs out there you can buy, which makes sprucing up your photos even easier/convenient.

David87 likes this.
  21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it’s more a matter of just finding what you want to make pop in your images and tinkering around until you find your style.

I don’t do much editing on my film photos now unless there’s an image whose content I really like but has poor lighting or the color doesn’t match another photo I want to use it with.

used to just add a little saturation, boost shadows, and pull down the contrast & darkness. that was just using VSCO or Afterlight on my phone, though. I mostly use Lightroom for organizing and making collections.

David87 likes this.
  22. fastlife May 3, 2020
    (Last edited: May 3, 2020)
    fastlife

Regular Supporter

yeah, it can be intimidating. For me, I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning and started out using Lightroom presets (mainly VSCO’s desktop presets) to find the look I was going for, then adjusted from there. After doing that for a while, I got more comfortable figuring out how all the sliders worked and it gradually got easier editing on my own.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Still being a bit of a newb to all this, is VSCO just basically another photo editor? I know they have their own app. They have presets that you can use/upload into Lightroom? Are these free somewhere?

24. fastlife

Regular Supporter

VSCO used to have desktop presets for Lightroom, but discontinued them a year or so ago to focus on their mobile app. They’re no longer for sale anywhere, but if you search for “VSCO film” there are a few links floating around. There were 7 packs in total and had a pretty good range of film simulations.

coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Fuuuuuu, just discovered the Radial Gradient feature in Lightroom - sure would have been nice to have known of this tool weeks ago.......