Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Yes it does. You can do so much with LR that it's kind of overwhelming/intimdating to learn. I suggest using the free trial (Free Lightroom | Download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC full version) and spending that week watching Youtube tutorials to learn your way around. Josh Katz has a ton of good stuff on his page that's been helpful for me to learn LR and just photography in general (Photoshop and Lightroom for Beginners — JOSH KATZ).

David87 likes this.
  2. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Noob question: a friend of mine is selling a canon rebel t1i, quite old I know, with some accessories for <200. I know nothing about photography but it’s something I’ve told myself I’d wanna get into at some point when I have more disposable money. Anyone have any insight into whether this is a good value as a low-to-no budget/impulse buy or would it be worth it to hold off for something newer later?

3. fastlife

Regular Supporter

That model’s pretty old and you can get a used one off eBay for about $100. My recommendation would be to have a look around there to get a better idea of what the cameras you’re looking at are going for. I’ve bought something like 90% of my gear used from there and it’s been cheaper than getting stuff from B&H or other camera places.

disambigujason likes this.
  4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for the tip! Are there any specific specs or features I should be paying closer attention to?

5. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Honestly, if you’re just starting out most entry-level cameras have pretty much the same specs and any should be fine. Once you start shooting and have a better idea of what you’re using your camera for, you’ll notice if there’s anything limiting you from getting the shots you want and can look for better options from there (eg, maybe you’re shooting a lot in low light and need higher ISO, or higher shutter speeds for sports, or something small for travel, etc).

coleslawed and disambigujason like this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Ah gotcha, makes sense. Glad I asked, thank you!

7. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

So I upgraded my setup a few months back, got a Nikon D500 and Tamron 150-600 G1 telephoto lens. I've been dabbling in some wildlife photography mostly which the D500 is perfect for. Mostly larger birds like hawks, osprey and such. Anyways heres a couple of my favorite recent (edited in lightroom) bird shots I've taken with my new camera setup (I'll share more once I have a chance to edit them including some shots of a snowy owl!):
    DSC_6408.jpg
    DSC_4322-2.jpg

jorbjorb, Brent, David87 and 5 others like this.
  8. fastlife

Regular Supporter

These are so cool. You shoot these wide open? I like the separation from the background and it’s really impressive how sharp these are too.

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that swan is gorgeous.

mattav152 likes this.
  10. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Ha, another Cape Codder... the Osprey shot made me wonder if you were here, too. Was that at the Sandwich Boardwalk? The D500 really is a great camera for landscape shots.

11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I wanna upgraded from my D3400 eventually. Our local Best Buy has a Nikon ‘expert’ who seems to know her shit, I think we talked about the 500 but I think she said the 7500 is decent too. I think that’s it. Anybody?

12. mattav152

Thank you! I gotta give a lot of the credit to the AF system in the D500. The thing is a beast, even with the cheaper glass I have on it. I actually try to shoot birds in flight at around f/8-f/11 if I have good light just to make sure I can get the face in focus (the hit rate is still pretty low since I'm kinda amateur with this style of shooting), but that swan had to be maybe 15 ft from me, moving super slow so I was able to open up to f/6.3 to get that nice bokeh on the grass/water.

fastlife likes this.
  13. mattav152

Yessir, born and raised in Falmouth! I actually shot both of these in Falmouth, the hawk around Bristol beach whre I've been chasing a snowy owl around for the past week or so and the swan was at Salt Pond near Surf Drive which is my favorite spot for Osprey (Theres like 8 active nests within a half mile radius). I do love shooting at the Sandwich boardwalk in the early morning though, theres always tons of ducks and shorebirds hanging out there, and Sandy Neck near there is another awesome spot.

Also I've personally been loving my D500 for the few months I've had it so far. The upgrade from my d3400 was a bit daunting at first with all the added functions but its really fantastic for wildlife with how fast it is. I've been wanting to get more into landscapes too especially long exposure stuff on the water since I can push the ISO on the d500 down to 50. Just gotta invest in a good wide angle lens first!

David87 likes this.
  14. fastlife

Regular Supporter

mattav152, coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

HOW DO YOU DO THAT lol why am I so inept at editing

16. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Ha I just watch a lot of YouTube videos to see how other people edit their photos and pick up stuff from there. Like for the longest time I only made global edits that looked like crap, then I saw a video about how to use the graduated/radial filters and the brush tool to make selective edits and that helped a lot.

Been using Lightroom for 3-4 years now and only started getting sort of comfortable with it recently. There’s still a lot of stuff there I don’t use and have no idea what it does lol

David87 and coleslawed like this.
  17. Mikeydude91

I use bay photo for all my prints. I low key have had issues with some stuff of theirs lately but for the most part they’re great

fastlife likes this.
  18. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I recently got some prints and canvases from Bonusprint and they were very nice. Unsure where you are and whether they operate there though.

fastlife likes this.
  19. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Getting a Canon A-1 for my birthday in two days, super excited to shoot film after using digital exclusively for ten years.

20. EarthShifts

Trusted

I am excited that I found this thread.

For a while my creative outlet was music, but I have taken a break from that and have been feeling the urge to delve into other mediums, with photography being the main one. I'm still learning and trying to figure things out, and I don't really have any gear. I use my phone and a fujifilm that I got as a gift a while ago. It's not the best but it is still exciting.

I have zero social media anymore so it's a little hard to share with a lot of people, but I uploaded some things to a flickr account tonight and wanted to share here.

Landscapes - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmES6UyW

Subjects - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmES9jYC

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's work!

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Does anyone have any experience here with the Moment Pro Camera app, or any of the additional lenses that attach to your phone? It all looks pretty cool, but it's quite expensive to dive in just to try it out, if you wanted to try out some of their gear.

22. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I bought the app a while ago and wound up never using it because if I want that much control over my images, it's just easier to use my real camera. But I could see it being really useful for people who just use their phones to take pictures.

Feature-wise, it's way easier to adjust the manual settings in Moment than it is in VSCO. The focus peaking is fun to play with, I like that you can shoot in RAW, and they just introduced a star trail/motion blurring feature that looks pretty cool. And I don't do video, but there's customization there as well for color profiles and shooting settings. For the $5 or however much the app costs, I think it's worth it just for the novelty. Everything else in their shop looks ridiculously expensive and overpriced, though.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I used to have all kinds of magnetic clip on lenses and olloclips from iPhone 4-6+ and I miss using them. I don’t want to buy anything new though because apple keeps changing the size and configuration of the camera

Eric Wilson likes this.
  24. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome. I may have to check it out. Yeah I was intrigued by the new motion blurring feature. Some people seem pretty impressed by it. I love using my Nikon DSLR but I’m starting to want something that’s more convenient/portable to get great photos on the go, and was pretty intrigued by some of their lenses and the app. The price points for those lenses is what is holding me back.

25. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

That’s also how I feel right now. I’m probably going to upgrade my phone this year, and rumor has it that they’re going to the three camera system, so right now I’ll be going from one camera to three. Want to wait and see if they come out with stuff specifically for that.

Taketimeandfind likes this.