Photography • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Kellan

JuneJuly Prestigious

So this was sort of asked before but: I'm looking at buying a used mirrorless camera, something in the Sony A series. But as an almost beginner is there going to be a huge difference, enough to justify the price, between the A5000, A5100, and A6000?

2. fastlife

Regular Prestigious

Have you checked out comparisons like this or this? If higher frame rates, ISO, or megapixel count matters (they’re all pretty close anyway), you’re probably okay getting whichever one is a better deal when you’re looking.

That being said, the a6000 was my first mirrorless and I think it’s pretty awesome. It’s the only one out of those with a viewfinder, which for me is a must have.

3. CstSnow

Regular Prestigious

I second the recommendation of the a6000, I love mine, and if you look around you can usually find a great deal on it.

4. Ken

Entrusted Prestigious

I need a camera recommendation. Something better than my iphone but fairly simple to operate. Taking pictures of food primarily and something to take on vacations. I don’t want to spend a lot of money, my iphone just isn’t cutting it.

5. Ferrari333SP

Trusted Supporter

What is your price range? I have a Canon 80D DSLR, and I keep it on auto, 'cause I'm a newb, and it takes great pictures, but it set me back $1,200, as I do a good amount of traveling and am into nature/landscape photography, and want to grow into the features on the camera over time. So based on what you said you can get something that still great shots, but probably at half the price or so

Ken likes this.
  6. fastlife

Regular Prestigious

What’s your price range? And do you plan on editing your photos (eg, messing around in lightroom/photoshop, in which case having RAW files would help) or would you prefer to leave the camera on auto and just use whatever comes out as is (a lot of the simpler jpg only cameras are pretty cheap).

Ken likes this.
  7. BlueEyesBrewing

Regular Supporter

Like others have said, it depends what your price range is. You could get an entry level DSLR with a couple different lenses (like a macro, a 50mm, and a wide angle) and that would set you back a few hundred to thousand dollars but give you the best results. There are mirrorless cameras out there too that are easier to use and less bulky but I don't know much about them.

Also, here are a bunch of articles that have some good tips on improving food photography and you may be able to still use your iPhone without investing in anything else:

You searched for food photography - Digital Photography School

Ken likes this.
  8. Ken

Entrusted Prestigious

I don't want to spend more than a 1,000. I suppose I was initially thinking in the range of a couple hundred dollars up to maybe 700? $1,200 is definitely too much for me to spend on a camera at this time.

I do plan on messing around some, but if the picture is perfect, I wouldn't change much. Mostly basic things like brightness and contrast, different color levels, etc.

Thanks! I've messed around extensively with my iphone. It just simply doesn't capture the detail that I want it to. It's time for something better.

9. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

It sounds like a nice higher end compact (some of the Sony compacts are impressive) or maybe a bridge camera would cut it for you. It doesn't sound like you want the expense and bulk of having a full DSLR. If you think that you might start getting into photography for the sake of it, then maybe a CSC. They give you the interchangeable lenses and some of the manual options to get your teeth into, without the full fat size and price of a DSLR.

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

Entrusted Prestigious

The DSLR definitely sounds too big for me. I think you're right that a compact is the way to go. CSC seems to run too expensive for me.

11. fastlife

Regular Prestigious

Sounds like a good point and shoot or an entry level mirrorless might work for you. I think Sony is doing wonders for compact cameras, and their RX100 series is super impressive for a point and shoot. There are a few different versions. Just got my brother a used RX100 iii and he loved how small it was and took it everywhere with him on a trip to Europe. This article compares all the different versions except for the newest mark vi version and is a good place to start:
    https://m.dpreview.com/articles/7237085229/spoilt-for-choice-which-sony-rx100-is-right-for-you

If you want something more advanced than a point and shoot, check out the mirrorless cameras from Sony or Fuji, or micro four thirds cameras from Panasonic or olympus.

Ken likes this.
  12. Ken

Entrusted Prestigious

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

13. wisdomfordebris

Trusted Supporter

I've been getting back into photography after a lengthy hiatus. I bought a new camera + lens and I've been going full stop. Here are a few recent shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Flickr here if you want to follow: Mitchell Diatz

mattav152 and Ken like this.
  14. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Haven’t taken a lot of photos lately but I took this one recently. One of my faves

coleslawed and mattav152 like this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

16. mattav152

shoobie

You just need a camera that has a time lapse video setting. I know some DSLRs (usually more expensive/newer ones) have that setting. My Nikon D3400 (entry level DSLR) doesn't have it for example. A GoPro would definitely have it and if you have any recent iphone, those all have time lapse, though the video quality is far better on an actual camera vs a smartphone camera. Hope this helps!

colorlesscliche likes this.
  17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

490E2F01-8880-4E35-8C3B-51C851F90A38.jpeg

Couldn’t sleep last night so I decided to go see the sunrise in York, ME. Taken with my iPhone but I’d really like to get a decent camera at some point.

oldboot, mattav152 and MrCon like this.
  18. Mikeydude91

19. wisdomfordebris

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

coleslawed likes this.
  20. David87

Trusted Prestigious

Does anyone make any money off their photography? I was just reading around on the web and stumbled upon one of those
    "sites you can make money off your pictures" or some shit and I never even thought about it before. Can you really make money doing that?

21. Ferrari333SP

Trusted Supporter

I've never heard of that myself! Doing a quick Google search, looks like apparently you can make decent money selling your photos online.

22. Ferrari333SP

Trusted Supporter

Anybody use 500px here? Looks like you can upload photos there that you can license to companies to use, and therefore make money off them. I just started uploading a bunch the last couple of days, so we'll see how this goes

23. fastlife

Regular Prestigious

I’m on a photo tour right now, first time doing anything like this. Kind of intimidating being around people who take landscape photography seriously and who are really fucking good at it.

But I’m learning a lot from everyone and getting some cool shots. Also fun just seeing new places. My favorites so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. David87

Trusted Prestigious

Any updates?

25. Ferrari333SP

Trusted Supporter

I uploaded around 80 photos, and selected all of them to be licensed, but the site either has a team of real people analyzing photos, or a bot, but all but 19 of them were declined to be licensed. I guess they have to be of a certain quality to be eligible; kind of frustrating, as I personally think a bunch of the ones declined are pretty awesome photos, but whatever. Haven't had any license requests yet (they're all nature/landscape photos), so no idea if landscape shots just aren't the most popular pics to be licensed or what, but I think the more you engage with the site, viewing other people's photos, liking them, commenting, you'll have more people check out your profile, kind of like Instagram.

David87 likes this.