Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Like others have said, it depends what your price range is. You could get an entry level DSLR with a couple different lenses (like a macro, a 50mm, and a wide angle) and that would set you back a few hundred to thousand dollars but give you the best results. There are mirrorless cameras out there too that are easier to use and less bulky but I don't know much about them.

Also, here are a bunch of articles that have some good tips on improving food photography and you may be able to still use your iPhone without investing in anything else:

You searched for food photography - Digital Photography School

Ken likes this.
  2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I don't want to spend more than a 1,000. I suppose I was initially thinking in the range of a couple hundred dollars up to maybe 700? $1,200 is definitely too much for me to spend on a camera at this time.

I do plan on messing around some, but if the picture is perfect, I wouldn't change much. Mostly basic things like brightness and contrast, different color levels, etc.

Thanks! I've messed around extensively with my iphone. It just simply doesn't capture the detail that I want it to. It's time for something better.

3. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

It sounds like a nice higher end compact (some of the Sony compacts are impressive) or maybe a bridge camera would cut it for you. It doesn't sound like you want the expense and bulk of having a full DSLR. If you think that you might start getting into photography for the sake of it, then maybe a CSC. They give you the interchangeable lenses and some of the manual options to get your teeth into, without the full fat size and price of a DSLR.

Ken likes this.
  4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The DSLR definitely sounds too big for me. I think you're right that a compact is the way to go. CSC seems to run too expensive for me.

5. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Sounds like a good point and shoot or an entry level mirrorless might work for you. I think Sony is doing wonders for compact cameras, and their RX100 series is super impressive for a point and shoot. There are a few different versions. Just got my brother a used RX100 iii and he loved how small it was and took it everywhere with him on a trip to Europe. This article compares all the different versions except for the newest mark vi version and is a good place to start:
    https://m.dpreview.com/articles/7237085229/spoilt-for-choice-which-sony-rx100-is-right-for-you

If you want something more advanced than a point and shoot, check out the mirrorless cameras from Sony or Fuji, or micro four thirds cameras from Panasonic or olympus.

Ken likes this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I've been getting back into photography after a lengthy hiatus. I bought a new camera + lens and I've been going full stop. Here are a few recent shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Flickr here if you want to follow: Mitchell Diatz

mattav152 and Ken like this.
  8. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Haven’t taken a lot of photos lately but I took this one recently. One of my faves

coleslawed and mattav152 like this.
  9. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

10. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

You just need a camera that has a time lapse video setting. I know some DSLRs (usually more expensive/newer ones) have that setting. My Nikon D3400 (entry level DSLR) doesn't have it for example. A GoPro would definitely have it and if you have any recent iphone, those all have time lapse, though the video quality is far better on an actual camera vs a smartphone camera. Hope this helps!

colorlesscliche likes this.
  11. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

490E2F01-8880-4E35-8C3B-51C851F90A38.jpeg

Couldn’t sleep last night so I decided to go see the sunrise in York, ME. Taken with my iPhone but I’d really like to get a decent camera at some point.

oldboot, mattav152 and MrCon like this.
  12. Mikeydude91

13. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

coleslawed likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Does anyone make any money off their photography? I was just reading around on the web and stumbled upon one of those
    "sites you can make money off your pictures" or some shit and I never even thought about it before. Can you really make money doing that?

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've never heard of that myself! Doing a quick Google search, looks like apparently you can make decent money selling your photos online.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Anybody use 500px here? Looks like you can upload photos there that you can license to companies to use, and therefore make money off them. I just started uploading a bunch the last couple of days, so we'll see how this goes

17. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I’m on a photo tour right now, first time doing anything like this. Kind of intimidating being around people who take landscape photography seriously and who are really fucking good at it.

But I’m learning a lot from everyone and getting some cool shots. Also fun just seeing new places. My favorites so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Any updates?

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I uploaded around 80 photos, and selected all of them to be licensed, but the site either has a team of real people analyzing photos, or a bot, but all but 19 of them were declined to be licensed. I guess they have to be of a certain quality to be eligible; kind of frustrating, as I personally think a bunch of the ones declined are pretty awesome photos, but whatever. Haven't had any license requests yet (they're all nature/landscape photos), so no idea if landscape shots just aren't the most popular pics to be licensed or what, but I think the more you engage with the site, viewing other people's photos, liking them, commenting, you'll have more people check out your profile, kind of like Instagram.

David87 likes this.
  20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So I've had this camera for years now, taken thousands of pictures, but never really thought about/looked into the editing process beyond simply cropping, so...

Is sharpening photos in different programs on the computer, like, good? Do people generally think those pictures are "better" and such? I'm playing around with the nikon photo editor now and I'm just...unsure if the photos are looking better or looking fake haha.

How much editing do ya'll do to your pictures?

21. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I use Lightroom and you can definitely overdo it but if done well it definitely adds to the photo.

I have a Sony A6000 now, and feel like I need to branch out with a new lens, anything other than macro I’m thinking. Any suggestions for one that won’t break the bank?

coleslawed likes this.
  22. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

If you're shooting in RAW, then I think it's pretty typical to do a bit of sharpening (unsharp mask) and smoothing to sort it out. RAW on its own tends to look a bit odd.

TBH, I'm not great at the editing thing. I tend to really heavily on what's in the image and just try to maximise that. I can't get anywhere close to the stuff you see people achieving in photoshop. Typically, I'll fiddle with the contrast and saturation a bit and then apply some vignetting to give the picture a little more focus. Sometimes I mess about with things to give it a more stylised look, but I tend to keep it fairly natural.

David87 likes this.
  23. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I always edit my photos. Mainly because the in-camera jpgs don’t usually align to how I saw the scene or how I remembered it looking and that annoys me.

Lightroom was pretty intimidating to start using, and I definitively overdid stuff when I first got into it (maybe still do) but it’s fun to play around with. I don’t think sharpening is too much of an issue. The main thing overall is not pushing the sliders too far. Usually I bump up sharpening, clarity, and contrast globally just a little. Most of my time editing is correcting exposure and making local adjustments to the parts I want to be the focus. And hopefully it comes out natural looking.

David87 likes this.
  24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've been using the Lightroom app on my phone, which has been pretty nifty to use, moving the sliders to edit the image that results in something that looks like the best representation of the image. I'll take RAW pics on my Canon 80D, transfer to my phone, and then edit with the app. I'd like to eventually edit with Lightroom on my computer, but I just haven't sat down, bought it, and just spent the time to learn it yet. Are there any really good tutorial websites or Youtube series' that are good for Lightroom beginners?

David87 likes this.
  25. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Does lightroom allow you to boost individual colors within the photo and such? I def wanna start getting into editing now.