Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I like the first two too, but I can't help but notice the vignette. Maybe a tad too strong?

2. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

Yeah not even going to pretend like I don't use it way too much, aesthetically its just what I dig, but im trying to wean myself off it haha.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. mhudelson

4. MrCon

Oh, I use it in every picture I do. Just thinking that in those particular pictures, it might suit them to be a little softer.

The other issue is, you tend you edit your pictures on one screen, but you've no idea how it might look elsewhere. I've quite often edited stuff at home, uploaded it and then looked at it at work or something. Suddenly find the vignette that I thought was quite subtle is like a damn border. :tear:

5. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

Dude, exactly!

6. MrCon

[​IMG][​IMG]

Was at a tattoo convention over the weekend. Quite pleased with this.

And how best do I share pictures in here from Flickr? It's always a mess when I do it!

7. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Hey guys need a little help. When I was abroad in London for a semester I had a black and white film photography class. We used the old Cannon 35mm AE1 cameras from like the 70's (i think). Do you know a reputable site to purchase one or should I try to go to a store?

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

pretty sure I have an AE I don't use very often.

9. Nevilleolivares

Very informative thread.

10. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Hey man - It's only been like a year and a half, but thanks for the kind words. Fun to come across folks who are familiar with my work in different places! Have you moved back to the PNW yet?

I'm shooting on a Canon 6d w/ canon EF 35mm f/2. Occasionally will borrow lenses from friends, but I like to keep my setup minimal.

Here's my stuff:
    instagram.com/benschuyler/
    benschuyler.com

11. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

ive been updating my instagram with some travel photos through out the years. i had a lot in the archives i never got around to posting. https://www.instagram.com/kaitiephoto/ if youre keen!

12. GBlades

Trusted

Sorry for my sheer ignorance but I have a question. Don't judge if it is completed silly but I swear there's a reason i'm asking. Is there a camera that is capable of instant Polaroids but ALSO saving these digitally to maybe an SD card or the camera at the same time?

I'm not a photographer however I'm looking to take a few pictures for family purposes but also a "project" that i'm going to be doing. If not, can anyone recommend a good, relatively cheap polaroid camera?

Many thanks in advance and sorry once again if this is a completely silly request.

13. Is it silly to buy a brand new camera if you’re just getting in to photography? Are there any drawbacks to purchasing a gently used dslr?

14. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I don't think it's silly to buy new if you can afford it. If you decide it's not for you it would be a little easier to sell I would think.

The only drawbacks to used would maybe be warranty and maybe not knowing if everything is clean or working correctly. Also, if you decide to really stick with it then you might find yourself wanting something new

popdisaster00 likes this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Sorry for bumping older posts, but how much of this is done in post? Looking to get into more nature photography (mostly hiking), and like the sort of gritty-like pictures. What do you use software wise?

16. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I bought a used mirrorless body off of eBay and it’s got a couple scuffs but works great. Also got it for like a grand less than market price that way. I’d say used is more than fine if you’re just getting into it, especially since you’ll probably want to upgrade when you know more about how you like to shoot.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  17. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

No worries, and with those its just adding some vignetting, and playing with the saturation and contrast.

18. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I just took these of my wife the other night... having only one light makes it tough for portraits (Alienbee 800 and softbox)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baby due A WEEK FROM TODAY! :D

awwgereee and popdisaster00 like this.
  19. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

So this was sort of asked before but: I'm looking at buying a used mirrorless camera, something in the Sony A series. But as an almost beginner is there going to be a huge difference, enough to justify the price, between the A5000, A5100, and A6000?

20. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Have you checked out comparisons like this or this? If higher frame rates, ISO, or megapixel count matters (they’re all pretty close anyway), you’re probably okay getting whichever one is a better deal when you’re looking.

That being said, the a6000 was my first mirrorless and I think it’s pretty awesome. It’s the only one out of those with a viewfinder, which for me is a must have.

21. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

I second the recommendation of the a6000, I love mine, and if you look around you can usually find a great deal on it.

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I need a camera recommendation. Something better than my iphone but fairly simple to operate. Taking pictures of food primarily and something to take on vacations. I don’t want to spend a lot of money, my iphone just isn’t cutting it.

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

What is your price range? I have a Canon 80D DSLR, and I keep it on auto, 'cause I'm a newb, and it takes great pictures, but it set me back $1,200, as I do a good amount of traveling and am into nature/landscape photography, and want to grow into the features on the camera over time. So based on what you said you can get something that still great shots, but probably at half the price or so

Ken likes this.
  24. fastlife

Regular Supporter

What’s your price range? And do you plan on editing your photos (eg, messing around in lightroom/photoshop, in which case having RAW files would help) or would you prefer to leave the camera on auto and just use whatever comes out as is (a lot of the simpler jpg only cameras are pretty cheap).

Ken likes this.