Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. NotBruce

Regular

Man, I've been following your work for a long while now. I had no idea you were an AP member. I'm looking to move back up to the PNW in the next year or two, and your feed makes me even more impatient to get back up there. Your tones are exceptional, great stuff.

Edit: Forgot to quote. Paging @benschuyler

2. sdnyjns

I am not a robot

I currently do videography but getting more into photography. I'm using a Canon T5i with a Sigma 20mm f1.4 and a Canon 50mm f/1.8. Thinking of adding either a Sony a7 ii for video/street photography or a Fuji X-T1 strictly for photography. Those Fuji X lenses are damn pricey though.

3. futures

I've got my BFA in photography and own a business for lifestyle work. It's only part time though because I got sick back in 2005 (then again in 2013) and haven't been able to dedicate the proper amount of time to make the proper amount of money to buy myself the proper amount of health insurance. But, I'm still doing what I can while working a 9-5 and using my education in the arts to use photography as art therapy for my illnesses, too. I hope to take my business full time again, someday, though.

I currently have a Canon 5D Mark II w/ various L glass. I keep my 50mm f/1.2L on as my daily shooter, but switch to the 70-200mm f/2.8L II for most of my portrait work. My backup has been a 5D I for the past couple of years (I love the way it renders color and can't break away from it for that reason), but I preordered the new 1DX Mark II at the beginning of the year and that should be coming any day now. I'm excited for it, but also very paranoid bc $$$$$.

4. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

5. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Going to keep an eye on this thread, but not totally sure I'll be sharing what I've been shooting. It won't look good alongside some of this stuff!

I do this as a hobby. Started taking it seriously about 4 years ago when I got myself a Lumix GX1 and then in January this year I sold that and got myself a Nikon D5500 with the Nikkor 50mm by 1.4. I can't believe the step up in quality.

6. satelliteskin

ok

I do a lot of concert photography primarily.

Speaking of, anyone have a recommendation on where I can get nice quality prints made online? I've been toying with the idea of selling some of my shots.

7. MrCon

Where do people typically share their photos? I have mine in Google communities and sometimes Facebook, but I think a proper photo sharing website would be more fun. I've had someone suggest Flikr to me before. Any thoughts?

8. awwgereee

I can relate about the cameras. I got my BFA in sculpture, but acquired half a dozen cameras in that time.

9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I currently have this obsession with film and toy cameras for some reason. I should really just focus on one thing at a time and learn to control my dslrs and mirrorless cameras

awwgereee likes this.
  10. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I've been thinking seriously about getting a mirrorless (probably Sony) for a while now but can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm just worried I'll get it and then use my iPhone anyway because I won't want to carry it :/

11. MrCon

If you get a CSC with a fixed focal length lens then carrying it really won't be an issue. I had a GX1 for years with the 17mm pancake as my standard lens. If I was having a day out anywhere I'd make a point of dropping it in my bag. Never weighed me down at all. :)

12. satelliteskin

ok

Flickr is a good one! Although, personally, I just use it to post my photos -- I don't really browse or interact much with other users. But I still get likes + views, so it's definitely a good medium to promote your work.

MrCon likes this.
  13. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I have a canon M3. The auto focus isn't fast nor that great but it is super light and when you get everything properly focused the images are stellar straight out of camera. I haven't even touched my dslrs (which are older rebels anyway) since I got it. Probably not the best mirrorless but canon is all I've ever known so that's what I went with and it serves my purposes just fine. Plus I can use all my other canon lenses on it with the adapter.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've always been into photography, always on the lookout for great shots to use with my phone and handheld camera, but never had the funds to get a serious camera. Now I finally do, and so I'm looking to jump in the deep end and get one sometime this summer, like DSLR; looking for something that will last me several years and provide all kinds of options for shots I can take. I'm really into traveling and landscapes, so excited to use outside. As my parents are getting older (Dad recently turned 70), I have a real strong desire to capture as many family moments and events as possible as well, in great quality. Going to try and find some photography classes here locally to speed up my learning. Something like this Canon 70D I'm thinking about:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMS0LCO/?tag=absolutepunk-20

15. MrCon

Nice. I've recently stepped up from a CSC to a Nikon 5500 with a 50mm 1.4 on the end of it. That's a bit cheaper than the 70D, but given the quality of the Nikon, I'd expect that you'd get years of use out of that Canon. I don't know how much research you've done, but I found it really useful dig out reviews with comparisons/shootouts. I originally planned to get a Pentax, but in the price bracket I was going for the 5500 seemed to be unanimously considered the best. Googling sample images with the lens you have your eye on really helps too.

16. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

This is what I use, both personally and for work, and I've been really happy with it.

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Awesome to hear; if I do end up getting this one I may come back and ask you for some tips/tricks

18. I just bought a used 60D today from Dodd Camera. I'm excited to play with it when I get home from work!

I had a Canon Rebel T1i before that I bought to learn the basic on. You can typically find Canon Rebels at a great price and not spend over $1,000. Here is a T6i for $700. Hope this helps! :-)

19. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I like photographing cities. I've only used my phone up until now. Is a Rebel a good camera to start out with for those types of shots? I'd like to be able to get shots at night, too. Also, what editing program is good for beginners? I can't afford all of this stuff right now but I'm bored so I'm browsing.

20. satelliteskin

ok

I'm mainly a concert photographer, but I would say a rebel is good for any beginner shooting any type of shots! You'll definitely want to pay attention and research based on your specific need when you buy lenses tho. For night shots of cityscapes, I would also recommend you get a tripod.

For editing, I always say Lightroom. It can be a a bit challenging, but I found it easy to pick up.

muttley likes this.
  21. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Considering a Powershot G7X Mark II for the aforementioned types of shots. It's waaaaay cheaper to use my phone but it's just not the same. We'll see if I follow through.

22. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Just got a 24-70mm that i bought off a photography friend. retail for 1800 and got it for 1000 so im pretty content.

23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Nothing beats having a good camera! My phone takes amazing photos but sometimes if I'm going somewhere where I can't or don't want to bring my dslr or mirrorless, I'll at least bring a cheap point and shoot.

muttley likes this.
  24. Michael Hennesy

I recently also got into photography. One thing I'm really worried about is copyright, people potentially using my images without my permission. I was doing some googling and came upon this page : Image copyright online . It turns out if I don't explicitly make my images available for the public domain I can easily report when people use my content. However it's still very easy to copy.

25. MrCon

I'm really blasé about this, but mainly because I don't expect that anyone would ever try to steal my pictures for commercial use. ;-p

Michael Hennesy likes this.