Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks man! Agreed about the mountain range itself; because it has no real foot hills, they're so easily accessible, with not much really disturbing your view of them. We camped at Jenny Lake campground (had to get in line at 5:30am to secure a spot), so every time you got out of your tent in the morning, you looked up and boom, there's the peak of the tallest Teton peak in front of you. So many great photo spots abound all throughout the park, and in Jackson itself as well. My friend and I actually like Grand Teton National Park way more than Yellowstone; I guess YS just didn't live up to our expectations. When you're enveloped in tall mountains for a week, and then visit YS, YS then seems pretty tame, haha. Still, tons of incredible wildlife in YS, and some great canyon/valley spots.

David87 and mattav152 like this.
  2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'll be putting a bunch of them on my website soon too, if you want to check more of 'em out there: www.thomasengrav.com (more just a shameless plug again for my site, haha)

mattav152 likes this.
  3. To a couple shots of the NEOWISE comet. Did my best to edit out the Los Angeles light pollution. I’m very amateur so pardon the focus and edit work
    FCBFD84F-059A-483C-A857-6F7828373136.jpeg D581EE66-9BC7-451A-89A6-834DC5FDDE25.jpeg 16CEC3CA-1593-4751-8C8E-D64561FAA244.jpeg 4AA748E9-283B-4C45-898B-E5190381909F.jpeg A6EA2AD4-1338-4FAA-93F6-CC5C4F835A1B.jpeg

4. fastlife

Regular Supporter

David Parke likes this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

yyyyeah I’m gonna go ahead and need you to edit my pics from these parks haha

6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

My take on Yellowstone is it’s so damn big that it’s hard to really explore it all well unless you spend a solid 7-10 days there.

I’d legit just like to spend a solid 2-4 days in Lamar Valley just looking for wildlife. Need to see wolves too. When we were there I got woke up in the middle of the night by wolf howls acoss the lake, the but we never saw any.

Tetons are amazing though. A top 3 park of all the ones we saw. we backcountry camped on Leigh Lake, totally worth it. Did a hike into Cascade Canton as well

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

These are great! I love the framing on the first one!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  8. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I've been trying to get out and shoot the comet all week but the Denver/Rocky Mountain weather has ruined that plan. There's about a two-hour window after sunset where you can see it on the horizon and of course it's been cloudy in that direction every night.

David Parke likes this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hahaha I'd be happy to do so if you wanted! Lightroom CC makes it incredibly easy to edit, but you need to pay for the software of course (it uses this wacky monthly subscription method, which is dumb). I hope to get the normal, full feature Lightroom sometime soon though

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I've heard that too; we heard from others in our campground though that you could do all the big spots in a day, so that's what we decided to do. Left Grand Teton early in the morning, drove up to Yellowstone, drove around all day, and then drove back. I wanted to explore and see wildlife in Lamar Valley as well, but they closed the road for half of it, which sucked. And we were there at like 2pm, so we didn't see a single animal on our drive. We initially wanted to camp, but spots were booked way in advance, and we were doing this trip on the fly, so that was a no-go, haha. It's just once you're in the Tetons, you become mesmerized by the size of the mountains, so anything else you see that doesn't match the scale of them, like Yellowstone for me, it lessons the "wow" factor of a place like that. I've heard Leigh Lake is pretty amazing though. We did that same Cascade Canyon hike too; it was brutally hot when we did it though, so we didn't make it fully to Solitude Lake all the way back, but still did a solid 9.2 miles or something.

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

They look like RDR2 screenshots. So nice.

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Would love to grab this - too bad it's crazy expensive

GNARBOX 2.0 SSD

summertimejesus and Garrett like this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Might try getting this Canon lens in a few months with that (hopefully we get it) $1,200 stimulus check. All reviews online make it seem like a workhorse of a lens, that does everything really well, no matter what you're really shooting

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFVF7M4/?tag=absolutepunk-20

14. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I bought the first generation version of this used a couple years ago and have used it just once since then. I bought it to back my pics up on trips and it’s a cool product in theory, but I wound up never needing it since I rarely filled up my memory cards, and when I did I always had backups. The app was slow and laggy too, but might’ve just been my phone, and maybe the 2nd gen is faster.

That being said, it’s a solid option if you need to back files up on the go. Just super expensive. The first gen has some listings on eBay, maybe keep an eye out for the 2nd gen there too.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  15. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Got out of the city for a couple nights a week ago to try find darker skies to spot comet NEOWISE. Way better than the pics I got from my apartment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Played around with timelapses too. I like this one, but it's kind of short. Happy with this one from the next night too, the cloud movement's cool but the skies were hazier and the comet was less visible.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This past weekend over Lake Superior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

6:30am sunrise over Lake Superior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Am Mick, fastlife and coleslawed like this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Hahahahaha at all my broken links - I didn't take any photos down, so Facebook/Insta must have changed the links themselves somehow

In any case, two weekends ago I caught the sunrise over Lake Superior twice, and both mornings it was around -23F at sunrise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

That fog over the lake, though. Beautiful!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  20. David87 Apr 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 24, 2021)
    David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey photogaphy peeps...I took my Nikon D750 out for the first time last month, and for the first time I used the "RAW + JPEG" setting, so that when I do attempt to edit pics, I know the RAW images are apparently better to edit.

So, I'm trying to transfer the pictures onto my computer via one of them USB things that i can plug the memory card into. The "app" I guess it's called that I've used before is Nikon viewnx-i. That's what I used in the past to upload pics from my old nikon d3400, but I never had RAW images on so it would just be the jpegs.

So, when I went to use it just now, I expected since I had "RAW+JPEG" selected when I took the pics, that I'd have two 'copies' of each picture and they'd show up on the menu to transfer, but instead I'm only seeing the .NEF files, which I assume are the RAW jawns.

What do I do?

Edit: So I notice when I just LOOK at the USB plug in on the app, I see both RAW and JPEG files, but it's when I go to transfer the pictures from the memory card to the computer, just the RAW images are showing in the transfer tool. Hmm.

21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

^^^^So I just did hte transfer and both the .nef and the jpegs uploaded to the computer.

But now my question is...if I use the Nikon "picture control utility 2" to edit the RAW images...how the hell do I save it?? There doesn't seem to be a "Save" button lol. And if I do save it, will it override the RAW image? And then the last question is...after I edit the raw image, and save it...can I save it as a jpeg?

22. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Starting to get into smartphone photography. Managed to get some decent astro shots. No clue what I'm doing editing wise so these are untouched. Any feedback would be appreciated!

PXL_20210616_101952707.NIGHT~2.jpg PXL_20210619_085321742.NIGHT.jpg 20210626_063542.jpg

coleslawed, fastlife and Ferrari333SP like this.
  23. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

They look good! I'd under expose a little more.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  24. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

They look good! I'd under expose a little more.

25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Are those the Grand Tetons / is that Jackson?