Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Photography

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Any photography enthusiasts here?

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

My dad has gotten into photography a lot lately. I could never do it but admire it so much. Subbing to see the amazing work.

Dirty Sanchez and Eric Wilson like this.
  3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

That's awesome. I really started picking it up about a year ago, just as a hobby, and it's turned into something I really enjoy. Love cityscape and landscape shots.

4. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I've been wanting to get into it for a while and I think this year might actually be the year. Currently looking at getting a Sony a6000 with a 35mm 1.4f. Probably not the most traditional lens to begin with but I think it'll be a good way to force myself to think about composition and lighting.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

If it's something you're interested in and have the ability to do, I'd definitely do it! I've really found it to be extremely relaxing, just going out and looking for the perfect shots.

I thought about going with the mirrorless last year, but ended up sticking with a traditional Nikon. In the future when I decide to upgrade or trade in, I may reconsider.

6. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I have a Canon G12 that has seen better days. I only use it when I go hiking and lately my phone has been doing all of the work. I was looking into a DSLR back when I bought the G12, but I figured those would be too bulky and fragile to lug around for hours at a time.

Never learned much about settings, though I was able to get some good shots at Carlsbad Caverns once I figured out some of the exposure settings that I've since forgotten about. I usually leave the ISO to 100 and shoot away.

Eric Wilson and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

That's awesome. Yeah generally if you have good lighting, the lower ISO will work out just fine. I've been using Lightroom recently to edit photos after shooting.

8. noxee

Regular Prestigious

9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

So far, I'm really liking Lightroom. It's been a very useful editing tool, and I've only been using it just for basic editing. There's so much you can do with it that I haven't really messed with yet. Would like to go more in-depth with it at some point though.

10. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

That's a good lens to start with. 35mm is good for a variety of situations and types of photography, especially when you are starting out and you just want to shoot a lot of different things. Most people go for a 50mm for their first prime lens, which i use a lot as well, but it's limiting to mid to tight cropped photos. You'll get more variety out of the 35mm. I have a very large, heavy camera body that's a Canon 5d MKiii and it's amazing what those little hybrid cameras like the sony are able to do now. insane.

11. CMilliken

Trusted

Just bought a Cannon Rebel T5i. Been wanting to try it out do a long time. I've taken a few classes in the past. Just kind of an expensive hobby.

ianebaldwin and Eric Wilson like this.
  12. NotBruce

Regular

Man, I'm so glad this thread exists.

I've been shooting off and on for like 8 years now. I'm in the process of re-building my site, but I do concerts, print work, candid portraits, and whatever else I can. I've been a Lightroom guy for about 3 years now, and I'm just starting to use Photoshop as well. I stayed away from editing software for a long time, as most of my favorite photographers are film and I wanted my work to reflect those influences, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Looking forward to seeing some of your guys' stuff in here!

Eric Wilson likes this.
  13. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I'm actually really glad you've said that's a good lens to start with. I tried doing a bunch of research and seeing what kind of shots people take with 35mm and it seems like a good starting point and I like the idea of having just one lens and not worrying about changing it all the time. I guess we'll see how things turn out.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  14. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

Ayyyy :-)

So far it's only been a hobby that I've only recently gotten into the past year or so. Definitely been trying to play around and learn more tho but mostly amateurish stuff. But this year I really wanna delve into it

Here's my Instagram if you wanna check it out

Eric Wilson likes this.
  15. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I've been doing it for the last 5-6 years.

Security Check Required

Started with a Nikon D7000, then added a D3100 to have a Nikkor 24-70 F/2.8 and Nikkor 35 f/1.8 combo, sold the bodies and 35 for a D610 and 50mm f/1.4 and SB-910.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  16. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

I work as a videographer and so I have multiple digital cameras. But for straight photography, I use a Pentax K1000 with various glass.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  17. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Yeah i think you'll do good with starting and if you find yourself specifying in a certain type of photography then you can look into other things. If you have a question about gear or anything, let me know. I went to school for photography so i know way too much haha

Eric Wilson likes this.
  18. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I have an a6000 and recently just got a used a7s. These things are so much fun to shoot with. Only thing that's sort of annoying is how much more expensive the lenses are compared to Canon/Nikon.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I took a couple of classes in community college and we mostly shot film. It has been a small hobby for me off and on for a few years now. I have too many cameras for someone who isn't that great at it but I'm always looking to improve. It's just a matter of getting out more and practicing, which is something I don't usually have a ton of time to do.

20. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Yup. I use Instagram as my portfolio. Check it out here - instagram.com/benschuyler.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  21. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

stagram.com/benschuyler.
    Really great shots

22. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Thanks man!

ryan.conde likes this.
  23. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

[​IMG]
    Doing a new editing style and it's kinda doing my head in. the more i look and mess with it, the more i can't get the color balance to match.

Brent and Eric Wilson like this.
  24. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

25. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Cool thanks for the heads up, although these aren't in operation at all. I've checked on it for that very reason.