Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phoenix Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by fyebes, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I want to live in Phoenix.

trevorshmevor and muttley like this.
  2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

It's solid. Geographically, it's a beautiful place. Summer drags on, and I don't like this expression, but it's whatever. Monsoon season is also beautiful.

It's a red state.

I'd like to move to a different state in the future. Right now I want to move to Phoenix proper because where I am is boring as fuck.

Edit: updated my first sentence upon second thought. I'm likely a little washed up after being here for 10 years.

Ken likes this.
  3. Unfortunately it's a state that generally flies under the radar unless our government happens to be doing something shitty. The only reason our state continues to be the way it is is because AZ is so popular for retirement. Maybe it's just a product of the people and places I surround myself with, but very seldom do I ever come across a person who is actually down with the far right mentality our state is known for.

Other than all that, lots of cool/hip little restaurants, decent night life, the whole grid system thing is great, and when it's not blisteringly hot out the weather is beautiful. Only being a couple hours away from the cooler weather and change of atmosphere places like Flagstaff have to offer is pretty good too. The stretch of the dollar in terms of affordable living is also nice.

muttley likes this.
  4. muttley

I don't socialize very much so my view on the politics is probably skewed. Great point about retirees.

5. muttley

It was so nice this morning. It felt like October.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  6. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

We're getting there! I actually went to the rebel lounge for the first time the last two nights to see AJJ and really liked it. Gotta ask though @trevorshmevor what don't you like about The Nile? Aside from a lot of the staff having a stick up their ass I really like going there.

7. The general demographic of bands that get booked in that room wind up sounding awful. Just really poor acoustics, sound bouncing all over the place and consistently terrible mixing. The place looks like shit, the most they've done in years to make it look presentable is when they put curtains up on either side of the stage, but then they like cut them a quarter of a way from the ceiling which just looks really tacky imo. I'm nitpicking here but their bathrooms make me want to vomit, I feel like they've never been cleaned.

They recently got beer so I can't complain about that anymore. Until this last year there was no alcohol sold in the venue, and the only place nearby was that little craft brew place across the street, but you had to pay to gain re entry to the venue (the latter part may still be the case, not sure).

Can't think of a time I went there there wasn't another show happening in the basement, the sound is constantly shaking the floor and the sound bleeds through like crazy. Went to see From Indian Lakes there a while back, one of the only bands I've seen there that sounded decent because a lot of their songs are very minimal in instrumentation and soft dynamically, but literally the whole show there was breakdown and after breakdown pounding through the floor, it was like listen to two separate albums at the same time haha.

And beyond all that, the staff sucks, but you kinda already mentioned that. I also briefly got into it with whoever runs their Facebook once because they posted set times for a show I was going to, which I actually really appreciated because I didn't care to see the openers, was only going for the main support and headliner. Got there and missed one of the two bands almost entirely. Commented on the Facebook post about it (something I wouldn't normally do but I was pretty pissed) and basically the response they felt comfortable with posting was pretty much "stop crying, you should've shown up at doors then"

Edit: wow, long post haha. My bad. Thought I was being pretty concise but I guess not. This reads more like a stream of consciousness haha.

8. On a more positive note, hitting up Crescent tonight to see DIIV. Just found out about it and the anticipation is making my Monday waaayyyy better haha

9. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Anyone seeing Bayside next month?

10. As a Bayside fan, I think I've seen all the Bayside shows I can handle haha. They really just do not switch their setlists up enough. The Pressroom is a cool venue though and I'm sure they'll sound fantastic there!

11. Beautiful day today. Was in San Diego for four days and took today off just to have an extra day off. Biked around Tempe Town Lake and then up to Papago Mountain. Wound up being about 25 miles in total, had it been any other day in Phoenix and I'd be dead haha. Now I'm at Crescent by myself waiting for The Album Leaf to go on!

muttley likes this.
  12. muttley

It's been fairly cool in the mornings. The humidity made it feel warmer but still nice.

I was telling someone we're all going to be wearing sweaters before you know it.

13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Two months until I'm back in the 602. Can't wait. Hope to see a Suns game while I'm in town and eat at Tarbell's.

14. muttley

Visiting right? Where do you live now?

Ken likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Pennsylvania. I come out once or twice a year. Always for Thanksgiving (family in Flagstaff meets us in Scottsdale for the week). Tarbell's is probably my favorite restaurant in the country.

I also eat in-n-out two or three times while I'm out there as well.

16. muttley

Sounds like you know the area pretty well. I'll add Tarbell's to the list of places I haven't been that I might visit someday.

trevorshmevor and Ken like this.
  17. Ken Sep 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2016)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Somewhat, more than most tourists, but not like a local. I went to college in Prescott for a year and have been going back to Phoenix once or a twice a year for about 10 years now. I want to explore more dining in Scottsdale and Phoenix, but I never miss a chance to go to Tarbell's. I can't recommend it enough. You really have to go.

Also, I know it's not that amazing, but I love walking around Kierland Commons for an afternoon and eating at that Tommy Bahamas. I know it's a chain, but they make good martinis, soups, and Cuban sandwiches. Dining outside is always great too. Outdoor malls in PA are miserable compared to what's available in AZ. I think coming in November when it's in the 70s helps too, haha. It's depressing to return to PA after being in the Phoenix area for a week.

18. Never heard of Tarbell's but I'm looking at the menu right now and it sounds great, definitely gonna give it a shot next time I'm itching for a new place to try

Ken likes this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm a big Suns fan. Watching local Suns broadcasts, I'd always here that, "Clothing for the coaching staff was provided by 'The Clotherie.'" So, in 2006 or 2007, I was in Scottsdale with my brother and we thought--what the hell, let's go check out the Clotherie. I think that day we had lunch at Stoudemire's restaurant when it was still around (pretty good bar food and a really nice interior actually). Afterwards, we drove to the Clotherie, stopped in, and started looking around. We end up talking to one of the gentleman working there and eventually ask him for restaurant advice. He swears by Tarbell's. So we go either that night or the next night. Still, to this day, the best chicken I've had anywhere. Consistently. A few weeks after returning to PA, I notice on an episode of Iron Chef, that Mark Tarbell (owner and head chef of Tarbell's) is the competitor. He crushes Cat Cora in Battle Apple and I've been going to Tarbell's every year since.

20. There's a place over in Scottsdale that is semi-new called SumoMaya that I've been meaning to go to. It's like Mexican-Asian fusion, I've heard everything from it being just fine to being really good.

Yeah I don't make my way over to Scottsdale too often, but I definitely will admit they've got their food/day drinking game down. Kieran's Commons/Scottsdale quarter are pretty cool. I have some solid places over by me as well, but things are a lot more spread out in the South Tempe/Chandler area. Not as easy to just mosey around unless you're trying to go hit up Mill or downtown Chandler, neither of which are very desirable by nightfall haha

Ken likes this.
  21. Oh damn, haha that's awesome! I was actually gonna quote you and ask what I should get when I go there so I'm glad you replied. Chicken it is!

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

You really can't go wrong.

For appetizers:
    The "Warm 'Bacon Candy' with frisée, radicchio, soft poached egg' starter is really, really good. Carpaccio is superb. Crudo is really nice too.

For entrees:
    Chicken, Scotch Beef, Mr. Fish, and the steaks are all excellent. Last November, I had a lobster gnocchi dish that I still can't get over. Absolutely outstanding.

23. Ken Sep 8, 2016
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm adding SumoMaya to my list of places to check out. We always stay in North Scottsdale, so it's a bit of a drive to get down to Tempe and downtown Phoenix as much as I would like. I really need to go back to Flagstaff too, that place is something special.

Do you have a favorite Mexican spot in Phoenix? I've had some really good food at a few different places, but I never know where to go. I like Los Sombreros in Scottsdale, but I know I can be doing better.

24. trevorshmevor Sep 8, 2016
    My favorite Mexican spot is in Chandler, little hole in the wall place called Espos. I also don't eat a ton of Mexican food so I hope if anyone here makes their way there and finds it inferior to another places, then my bad. But it is definitely good though, like no chance you'd hate it or anything. It's for sure better than the really shitty 2am drunk Mexican food that college dudes tend to praise but it's also not like a classy sit down joint. Kinda hits a sweet spot in the middle.

My girlfriend is into this place in Phoenix called Los Compadres, but I've never been so I can't vouch.

Tried out Diego Pops over in Scottsdale a few weeks ago for some tacos and left pretty happy. I had also been swimming and drinking at The Saguaro all day though so I could've eaten anything and been happy haha

I've also heard good things about Rito's in Phoenix (particularly their green chile burrito), and another new place called Tacos Chiwas.

Ken likes this.
  25. muttley

One word: Jamburritos

Ken likes this.