Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phoenix Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by fyebes, Apr 15, 2016.

1. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I'm not from Phoenix or anything like that, but I'm looking to visit in August for a weekend. planning on seeing the Grand Canyon. is there anything else that is a must-see in the Phoenix area? apparently Sedona has great hiking.

2. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Neither the grand Canyon or Sedona are close to phoenix lol

marceting and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  3. muttley Apr 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2016)
    muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I enjoy Downtown Phoenix. but that's just me. Surely there are others on here with better recommendations.

Sedona has tons of hiking. Lots of trails for whatever you're into (long, short, easy, difficult). It's beautiful up there whether you hike or not. Obviously busy on weekends. I'd say it's 2-2.5 hours from the metro area depending on where you're coming from and how fast you drive - not a bad day trip. Still hot as fuck in summer. It'll be 95 up there when it's 110 in Phoenix.
    Grand Canyon would probably end up being a weekend trip, or at the very least a long, full day/day and a half.

There's a ton of hiking all around the Phoenix metro area if that's what you're into. Come prepared because people die out here all the time during the summer. It can be 85 degrees at 4am lol.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Good band.

Good mythological beast.

Cool town with disgusting heat.

I never understood why the weather in southern Arizona was easier to deal with than Phoenix. Other than while Sierra Vista was on fire, it was never nearly as bad as the times I went to Phoenix.

5. muttley

@Henry Higher elevation helps with the temperatures and the mountains bring more moisture. Totally guessing on the latter but it makes sense. Pretty sure that's an entirely different life-zone down there.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That sounds about right. It was still quite dry, but we did get a good amount of rain and snow. It was just so crazy how much of a difference in environment there was between the Sedona and SV areas to the Phoenix and Tuscon areas. Basically night and day for a 200 mile expanse.

7. muttley

I've never really looked at the big picture until just now haha. Two deserts and the Colorado Plateau all within a couple hours of each other. So cool.

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I just moved to Phoenix, but since you're posting on chorus, I'm gonna assume you like music and arts and recommend Tempe. A lot of the Phoenix area has too many college students even for me (I'm 21) and i find them annoying generally, but if you're looking just for a place to chill or grab a drink, Tempe is where its at. It's only about a half hour out from Phoenix or so.

9. muttley

Lots of public transit between Tempe and Phoenix, too.

10. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Posting to say I'm dreading the heat. It got up to 117 degrees last summer and I work outside.

12. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

after more research and seeing just how bad the heat gets, we're gonna postpone our trip. hopefully going in november or around that time.

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I will say, Phoenix had NOTHING on Kuwait. That is a disgusting heat.

muttley likes this.
  14. muttley

Gonna be 105+ in a few days. Here we fucking go. :verysad:

15. stuckinvhs

SHUT UP NO ITS NOT

muttley likes this.
  16. muttley

You're right. Not 105, but 111 on Friday. I was off a bit.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  17. stuckinvhs

Hoping for early monsoons to postpone the apocalyptic feeling.

muttley likes this.
  18. muttley

I don't know how many more AZ summers I'm willing to endure. Monsoon season is pretty, though.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  19. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Like a riot, like a riot, oooooh

20. CoachBalke

Regular

hello! I am moving to Scottsdale in about 7 weeks from Boston and wanted to see if any other users are in the area? What are some of the best music venues to check out? I've really only seen some of the clubs (I do like EDM), but where are good spots I could catch some of my Alt. favorites like say a Manchester Orchestra or Jimmy Eat World? I will go to the Blink concert in September as well.

21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Marquee Theater

Brent likes this.
  22. marceting

Trusted

I live in New Jersey but frequent Pheonix/Tempe often.

One of my best day drinking memories came from being at Gringo Star on Arizona State v Notre Dame game day.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. trevorshmevor Jul 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2016)
    Marquee Theatre - Tempe
    Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix
    Rebel Lounge - Phoenix
    The Pressroom - Phoenix
    Valley Bar - Phoenix
    Livewire - Scottsdale
    Pub Rock Live - Scottsdale
    Club Red - Mesa
    The Nile/The Underground - Mesa (avoid going here unless it's a 100% must, venue is truly awful)

I'd say those are where most of the shows a band promoted on Chorus would play when coming through the valley. Marquee is for sure the biggest on that list, at 2500 cap with a balcony. If either of the two bands you mentioned were headlining a tour, it would roll through The Marquee no question. Anything bigger than that and you're looking at:

Mesa Amphitheater
    Comerica Theater
    Talking Stick Resort Arena
    Ak-Chin Pavillon (where the Blink show happens to be this summer)

I don't know of a ton of venues outside the greater Phoenix area anymore, but Tuscon and Flagstaff are both ~2 hours away in either direction and sometimes bands will roll through either of those cities instead.

The Orpheum - Flagstaff
    The Rock - Tucson
    Club Congress - Tucson
    The Rialto - Tucson

Brent likes this.
  24. Man, now I'm just bummed about all the great little venues we used to have all over the place here and how they're all gone haha

Brent likes this.
  25. marceting

Trusted

Marquee is pretty cool

Brent likes this.