Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phoenix on Song Exploder

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I love this podcast.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Did they talk about the rapey lyrics?

Arry likes this.
  4. bodkins

Trusted

Exactly what I came to ask.

5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

6. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

"Just Open up your legs. Don't tell me don't tell me no."

7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Ahhhh. Yep. Pretty rapey.

8. jeff.dart

Regular

The singer already addressed this in May when they first released the song, I don't know why he would have to continue to do so.

9. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

are you talking about the facebook post, because if youre talking about the facebook post where they were talking about how it is about "the tragedy of unrequited love", that just made it worse and made it seem even more rapey.

10. jeff.dart

Regular

I guess i just figure what followed, "100% love, 0% violence," made it clear enough what he was aiming for. if people choose to continue to interpret it differently after his input, i don't know what else he can/should do.

11. My idea: probably not write something that gross in the first place and when people are like "hey wtf" say something like, "oh fuck I didn't mean it that way, we'll totally not play the song/change some shit cause you're right it comes across as super fucking nasty. We're so sorry we wrote lyrics that make "Blurred Lines" look sane."

bodkins likes this.
  12. jeff.dart

Regular

that seems like a bit of an over reaction. i think there's always a risk of being misinterpreted when writing about sex, but i don't think they should kill the song because of one line that some people will continue to misinterpret even after the lyricist attempts to set the record straight. i mean, i still remember the response when starting line released bedroom talk, i think a similar thing happened but they still played the song. oh well, just my opinion.

13. If you write those lyrics, in 2017, and you're shocked you are "misinterpreted," first off I think you're a fucking idiot. Just full stop I think you're dumb as a brick and your entire team has failed miserably that no one ever went ... hey, let's pause for a second. However, the authorial intent doesn't really matter here, we react to art divorced of the author, and what those lyrics say ... are disgusting. That reaction is very real. So, second, the moment people -- like sexual assault victims go, "woah, this is really doing some damage here, and here's why..." I think you're kinda an asshole if you keep going with it. I mean, it ruined an otherwise pretty fun album for me. They can keep playing it all they want, but I'll keep thinking they're shitty people for it given those lyrics and their reaction to people pointing out why it's fucked up.

(Also, it's not really one line, "don't say no" is the chorus.)

14. bodkins

Trusted

He does address lyrics here. I understand where he's coming from, but if you have to explain the lyrics that in depth... maybe you should've changed the lyrics.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Oh interesting that he addressed the lyrics in song exploder. Hopefully it gives some clarity because I haven't been able to like the song/album at all and I have liked their music in the past

16. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Listened to the podcast, still not buying it

17. jeff.dart Jul 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2017)
    jeff.dart

Regular

I do know others who were initially offended by it who changed their minds after his clarification so I can see where to some it's just a misinterpretation, and I admit that I was confused when I first heard it, but to others that's not really the point. being his work, I suppose it's his prerogative whether he chooses to change his work to satisfy others, and I'm not sure how difficult that is when you spend that much time with something, and he may be seeing it as part of some larger work that is the concept of their album, so he might have a totally different lens. I do understand if people choose not to support this at all though. personally though, I wouldn't necessarily say that this makes them all shitty people if they want to play this thing they spent months creating and I realize that is simply my opinion and nothing more.