Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phish Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Mar 31, 2016.

1. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Big Boat.

2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

[​IMG]

Par for the course...will put them up to FORTY shows at Madison Square Garden.

This is my front yard, so will be hitting all four, bringing my total of MSG Phish shows to 14.

3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Maybe this time I'll be ringing in the new year with the P-fish.

4. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@WordsfromaSong Ever seen them at MSG? They jacked up the prices unfortunately.

5. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Not yet, some friends hit one of the shows last and I've been trying to make it happen. Price increases aren't helping, really weird that GA is more expensive than reserved seating.

6. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@WordsfromaSong Why is that weird? GA > everything. And you're in for a goddamn treat.

7. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

So Charleston was a blast.

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

i

Sick! Glad you got to catch a run...felt like I was hogging them all in this thread haha.

Nashville night 2 set 2 is my call for set of the tour so far. Really amazing versions of Tweezer, Golden Age, and a big Type II Hood, and even the NMINML gets a ton done in 10 minutes.

9. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Thanks man, my only complaint is that it went by way too fast. Still catching up on the rest of tour so far, can't wait to hear Nashville.

10. How's the new album? I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

their Halloween set this year was Ziggy Stardust

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@iCarly Rae Jepsen Watched this morning and thoroughly enjoyed. Mike and the strings on "Starman," Trey's pipes on "Rock n Roll Suicide"...lot of highlights. You can really tell that they put a lot of time into practicing and the arrangement.

The main complaint I see is the lack of jams a la the Remain in Light or Loaded musical costumes, but I think it makes up for that in other ways. Each band member got a chance to shine, and while the results aren't always a direct hit, seeing them go out of their comfort zone—singing, most specifically—is really cool. And blergh to the people who say this was predictable. 1) If this is our main complaint, this band truly is the best and 2) they've always been so unpredictable, that this was unexpected in and of itself.

"Space Oddity" debut at Wrigley this summer was one of the most magical concert moments I have ever been a part of. The crowd roar when the lyrics came and everyone realized what it was...chills.

But holy shit, can we talk about this fall tour? I hit 10 shows this summer but could not make any this fall, but I listened to every single one live or the morning after. This run has an embarrassment of riches, with every only one true clunker (Grand Praire N2). The rest range from serviceable/good to great/exceptional.

Counting down the days until YEMSG!*

(*Right now is the longest YEM drought in Phish's 33 year history.)

13. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Fall tour was fuego en fuego, haven't listened to the whole Ziggy set yet but it was the exact album I was hoping they'd cover. It's a good time to like Phish.

14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Finally locked down a 30th ticket (section 106 to boot)...now in the door for all 4 nights of YEMSG.

And cause I'm bored...here are my 10 favorite jams from this year:

“Tweezer” — 1/2 — New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

“Reba” — 6/29 — Philadelphia, PA (Mann Center for the Performing Arts)

“Harry Hood” — 6/29 — Philadelphia, PA (Mann Center for the Performing Arts)

“Chalk Dust Torture” — 7/1 — Saratoga Springs, NY (Saratoga Performing Arts Center)

“Sneakin’ Sally Through the Alley” — 7/18 — San Francisco, CA (Bill Graham Civic Auditorium)

“Ghost” — 7/19 — San Francisco, CA (Bill Graham Civic Auditorium)

“Tube” — 7/23 — Chula Vista, CA (Sleep Train Amphitheatre)

“No Men In No Man’s Land” — 9/2 — Commerce City, CO (Dick’s Sporting Goods Park)

“Golden Age” — 10/28 — Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

“Gumbo” — 10/29 — Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

So there are rumors that Fishman needs shoulder surgery after Mexico, which means there may not be a summer tour next year. Not heady.

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Whoa, what? Where did you read that?

17. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

It's been going around phish.net and other places for the last few days. Hopefully it's just a bunch of internet bs but rumors have been right before.

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So, based off rumors, it's one of two things:

1) Fish has shoulder surgery, there is no summer tour.
    2) Phish announce 13-night MSG residency instead of a summer tour.

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

One goddamn week.

[​IMG]

21. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Man, what a fucking excellent four-night run. But 12/30 was simply something else.

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Now that I've had time to digest all the shows and relisten to them all, I am here to make the uncontroversial statement that...

Tweezer through Party Time from 12/30 is about as good as it gets. Most definitely true for 3.0, and maybe even all of Phish. The playing is tight, cohesive, exploratory, and surprising. I distinctly remember looking at my friends as Party Time kept climbing higher with my jaw on the floor. Just an absolutely stunning hour of music.

23. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

So this year's Mexico run has been pretty, pretty, pretty good.

24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Drewski likes this.
  25. Drewski Feb 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2017)
    Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I feel like the debate over BEST PHISH VERSION EVER is always a dead end because although there are some that always pop up (Riverport or Great Went Gin, Camden Chalk Dust, etc.), the fact is that with a catalog so large and so diverse stylistically, even within a short timespan, makes the answer a matter of personal preference that is always so different from person to person.

So perhaps it's even more of a fool's errand to pin down the best Phish movement...but the more and more I listen, I really think it is the final 8 minutes or so of the *soundcheck* of Waves at Bethel in 2011 (5/26/11 to be exact). Right when Page (?) starts hitting on that siren at around 20:45~ and it takes off on that beautiful motif that they ride until the end...it's just so pure and awe-inspiring.

The fact that it's preceded by a really nasty, dissonant kind of jam prior to this makes the transition all the more stunning. I'm near tears pretty much any time I listen to this. One of those jams where you just close your eyes and you're floating off somewhere completely different.

Also, to borrow the parlance that Clickhole perfectly skewers, it #reallymakesyouthink that this is just a damn soundcheck. Imagine all the amazing soundcheck jams that we don't have access to, or that weren't even recorded. Long live the Phish from Vermont.

WordsfromaSong likes this.