Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phish Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Much like 2013 MSG, was lucky enough to hit all four of these shows...though, it easy when you live on Long Island and work in Manhattan.

Thought NYE was the best overall night for sure, with Kill Devil Falls through David Bowie just a flawless run of songs. That, and Twist was the song of the run for me. I mean...13:20 here with the fantastic build up to it.. My god.

In terms of my the four that round out my top 5 of the run:

#2 - 12/31 Bathtub Gin...now known by some as MSGin. Love the hose on this one. 13:44 for liftoff.

#3 - 1/2 Tweezer...you knew this sleeping giant was coming and it DID not disappoint. Love how well rounded this version is because each member gets a chance to really shine. After that quasi-peak at 9:30, this thing just keeps flowing so seamlessly, even ending in a little stop-start jam.

#4 - 12/30 Weekapaug Groove > What's The Use? > Weekapaug Groove...Sandwiching WTU? in the middle there is just so inspired. What a beautiful song.

#5 - 12/31 No Men In No Man's Land...The gag, the cool visuals, the ambient sounds, the cool looping and delays, the tight playing. Just awesome version. For full effect, definitely check out the Aud Lang Syne > Blaze On that follows. Wow.

kyle likes this.
  2. sincerelymejames

Jimmy Reardon Supporter

I love Phish! Born and raised in VT. I've seen them live a handful of times. Always amazing.

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

A very happy birthday to the chairman of the boards Paige McConnell! This version of the squirming coil is still my favorite

Drewski likes this.
  4. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Adding to the "Page crushes this Squirming Coil" with 5/8/93. Also, the Stash > Kung > Stash from this show is UNREAL.

5. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

6. Drewski Jun 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2016)
    Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

WOOHOO!

@WordsfromaSong what shows are you hitting? Here's my schedule. Buckle up!

6/24 - Wrigley Field
    6/25 - Wrigley Field
    6/28 - Mann Center
    6/29 - Mann Center
    7/1 - SPAC
    7/2 - SPAC
    7/3 - SPAC
    7/9 - Hartford
    8/26 - Lockn'
    8/28 - Lockn'

I like this upward trend...

Summer 2013: 3 shows
    Summer 2014: 4 shows
    Summer 2015: 7 shows
    Summer 2016: 10 shows

7. I haven't seen them the last couple of summers and won't be able to this year either.

#gettingoldproblems

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

There's always couch tour, phriend!

9. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Probably just gonna be Lockn' for me this summer, hopefully fall tour will deliver some more southern dates

10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Rumors have been indicating a lot of love for the south in the fall.

11. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

should i go see Phish if I've only listened to Analyze Phish 4 times and never listened to them otherwise?

12. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

absolutely, a couple friends of mine saw them without listening to them much and they've been hooked ever since

Drewski and y2jayjk like this.
  13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yes.

Out of curiosity, what venue or show would you be going to? There is nothing like the environment at a Phish show. Whenever someone is trying to "get" this band or get started on them, the first suggestion is always "just go to a show."

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  14. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Xcel in st Paul on Wednesday

15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

New lights

[​IMG]

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Chicago. Was. AWESOME.

New Kuroda lights rule.

17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So I just did 7 shows in 10 days: two Wrigley, two Philly, and three Saratoga. God damn I am tired...after this it's Hartford on Saturday and then the two shows at Lockn' in Virginia in August.

If I had to rank the shows...

1) Wrigley 2
    2) SPAC 1
    3) Wrigley 1
    4) Mann 2
    5) Mann 1
    6) SPAC 3
    7) SPAC 2

Though if I had to say best moment...it might be the "Space Oddity" cover in the encore of night one at Wrigley. This was one of the coolest concert moments I've ever been a part of. Once Trey enters with "ground control to Major Tom..." at 0:38, the roar and elation of the crowd was oceanic. People high fiving. People all around me crying. EVERYONE singing along. Everyone was just waiting for the inevitable Bowie tribute and this was such a unique, perfect, and genuinely Phish-y way (Trey doing guitar solos with his mouth?) way to do it.

Best jam is probably CDT from SPAC 1.

18. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

how about that moma dance?

19. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Unreal! Right when it started with that set placement I turned to my girlfriend and said "I bet we get an all-timer here..."

Nailed it.

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Man, Hartford was fucking wild. Awesome lot scene, amazing setlist, really tight playing, with perfect rainfall on the lawn during the second of the second set. What an incredible experience. My ranking of my 8 shows so far this tour:

1) Wrigley 2
    2) Hartford
    3) SPAC 1
    4) Wrigley 1
    5) Mann 2
    6) Mann 1
    7) SPAC 3
    8) SPAC 2

#1 to #3 are basically a tie.

21. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

so who's doing fall tour?

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I imagine you love the dates because you're from the South if I'm not mistaken?

As a northeast guy with very limited vacation days left for work, it's a rough slate. I really wish that Nashville was on a weekend because I've been dying to go there. Vegas for four nights sounds exhausting and costly, I wish I could swing it. As it stands it seems like Atlanta on the weekend (no one to go with) and Charleston on the weekend (been meaning to visit, but first two shows of tour is risky) are my only real options. I'm gonna put in for lotto for Charleston today.

Also, you're going to Lockn' right? Getting close!

23. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Unfortunately I don't think I have the funds to make Lockn' happen. I might volunteer with the work exchange program with a friend but it doesn't help that the fest is on what would be my first few days of school this semester so it's looking pretty unlikely. I'll definitely be at both Charleston shows and possibly Georgia though.

24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.