Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phish Band • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Everything's Right kicks so much ass wow

phaynes12 and WordsfromaSong like this.
  2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

1) Magnaball N2 was such a great stream tonight. A truly unforgettable night from a truly magic weekend. Hoping they give us some unreleased proshot 1.0 show for the 5th episode of Dinner and a Movie.

2) I don’t know where else to put this but fuckkkkk that new Goose live album rules. All I Need and Wysteria Lane are my highlights I think.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Of course they start Live streaming the secret set Drive In Jam for the first time ever at 1 AM as a secret.

THIS FUCKING BAND!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Wharf Rat

I had to sleep before the third set but I look forward to watching the rest of it tonight. really great show

the All I Need especially on the Goose album is nuts, maybe the best jam I've ever heard from fhem

5. SmolRay8

I remember the first time I listened to it!

6. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Stayed up til 2am watching the drive in set. Worth it.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Paul Dano being into Phish checks out

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Hell yeah

Wharf Rat and Drewski like this.
  9. Wharf Rat

also this

Drewski and WordsfromaSong like this.
  10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

10/28/16 currently airing for Dinner and a Movie.

This Golden Age has a legitimate argument for being the best jam of 3.0 IMO.

11. Wharf Rat

daam been great. which bakers dozen shows were yall at? i know you were at some

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Did 11 of 13. Missed Jimmies and Cinnamon sadly.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  13. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Some friends of mine were at jam filled and the night after, didn't make to any myself.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Out now

15. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

spent the summer getting into phish

Drewski and Wharf Rat like this.
  16. Wharf Rat

I spent the summer turning a temp job into a full time job with PTO that I can use to see Phish. welcome

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  17. unbornwhiskey Aug 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2020)
    unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the story is: i bought farmhouse when i was a kid, and i believe i made that purchase because there were some phish fans on a smashing pumpkins message board who went on and on about trey anastasio's guitar tone. i didn't have a ton of preconceived notions of which bands were cool and uncool to like, which was an awesome period in my listening, it felt like my taste was just reaching out everywhere and absorbing and reckoning with whatever it could grasp. i actually really liked farmhouse even though i knew from reading these same phish fans' posts that it was a little more uncertainly received in the fan community for e.g. the way they ended up recording "twist." i never listened to or saw a show, though i wanted to; but by the time the livephish series started up my fandom had lapsed and my tastes were way more self-consciously "cool"

flash-forward to adulthood, like every millennial on the cusp of 30 i was entering my (ongoing) dead phase. but i went to great pains to identify myself as a dead fan, not a jam band fan. i thought (and to some degree still think) the whole ethos was weird. of course i love live improvised music; i love jazz. i think i maybe objected that live improvised music based on rock music forms had to have its own genre, like lol that's dumb, the allmans were a perfect ROCK band, not a perfect jam band, etc.

flash-forward again to the present, one of my very good friends—who has loved phish since she was a teenager but her fandom lapsed a little because of how exhausted she got defending to them to people who find them completely radioactive—decided to listen to all the 1.0 studio albums and blog about them and rank them all, and i enjoyed reading her take so much that i just thought... i should really get over this and see if i'm still the kid who liked farmhouse. her top two albums were the story of the ghost and billy breathes so i got both and man.... those are fucking great albums. she ranked junta third, and man.... that's a fuckin goofy record. but i especially looooved ghost, it has such an atmosphere, and it's so quiet and introverted and spacey, and so when youtube recommended me the 11/17/97 denver "ghost" i thought, "yeah, why not, i'll listen to 20 minutes of that" and now i'm fucking in

things i have learned:
    - 97-99 is really where it's at for me, maybe eventually i'll stray outside of it but this is the SOUND and the jams are all like floating through space i.e. scary and beautiful!!!!
    - my favorite show so far is 4/4/98, the first set has a perfect "tweezer" > "taste" and a perfect "limb by limb" and the second set is so fucking stacked it's overwhelming to listen to
    - its current rival however is 11/22/97
    - no one told me that phish were actually a jazz fusion band (i feel like this isn't entirely evident in any of their post-lawn boy studio work) and i feel like if someone had just told me this i would've gotten into them years ago
    - i really had to turn off my lyrical receptors for this band at first, but eventually something breaks and you sorta get into how endearingly goofy songs like "reba" are. i love junta now btw

Drewski and Wharf Rat like this.
  18. Wharf Rat

I still have to dig into the studio stuff lol woops. I went straight from full on dead to them so I felt more comfortable going straight to live stuff, now I have to backtrack. should be fun, I'll make it a project

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

I've started to appreciate the studio stuff a lot more recently. I got Billy Breathes for like a dollar at a record store last week and it's a great album. This sequence in particular is some top studio Phish.

Drewski, unbornwhiskey and Wharf Rat like this.
  20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The '94 Gamehendge Great Woods show currently on Dinner and a Movie is just something else, truly. Everything you could ever want in a show—narration, huge jams, hijinks—capped by flawless, soul-stirring playing from Trey on many of their hardest compositions.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

very special stuff glad they showed it

22. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

welp looks like getting into phish this year will finish off my “eating crow about every musical act i talked shit on 5 yrs ago” bingo card

Wharf Rat and phaynes12 like this.
  23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I don't know where else to put this, but I went to Goose's socially distanced show at South Farms in Connecticut last night. Did you go, @Wharf Rat?

Some thoughts on the experience and the music below!:

— — —

EXPERIENCE: Really well-done stuff by South Farms—which, through no fault of their own, is in the middle of nowhere Connecticut, just below Massachusetts. We almost ran out of (car) gas post-show (!!!) because we went to 5 different gas stations that were all somehow closed. Despite a single lane dirt road in and out, parking and getting out was a seamless cinch. Yesterday AM I was sent a health questionnaire for Jackie and I, which they scan upon entry in addition to your tickets. Probably covers them from liability somehow and also collects information for potential contact tracing. Walking in you're on top overlooking the stage and beautiful nature in the back, the entire concert field is sloped downward with white squares drawn on the ground (A1, etc). Jackie and I were in D11, right in front of the soundboard. Masks on whenever you're not in your square, but you can set up beach chairs, blankets, etc. in your square and make it your own. No more tarpers acting a fool!

The sound was really great (and loud) wherever we walked in the venue. Weather was great at around 65 degrees, with dew making my beach chair arms and the grass a little wet. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, nicely enforcing distancing on food lines, directing people to empty/distanced drink vendors, and making sure there weren't extra people chilling in squares. Copious amounts of hand washing and sanitizing stations throughout the venue. Videos below that gives an idea of how it was set up. I'd estimate 300-500 people, maybe?

— — —

MUSIC: Made it into the venue a few notes into the opener (Me and My Uncle). Show ended up running from 6:51 to 10:00 with a very short set break in the middle. Set 1 was 96 minutes and Set 2 was 68 minutes. First set had a lot of highlights, particularly Western Sun, Tumble, Jive II > Jive Lee, and Echo of a Rose. Still not sure if I'm sold on Echo as a song but the jam on this was an awesome way to close the set. The Tumble and Jive pairing in the middle was my personal highlight of S1 and with the sun going down, the lights really started to go HAM on the composed sections and jams, awesome view from my spot.

Second set, though seemingly short due to curfew, had the two show highlights for me in White Lights (13m) and Madhuvan (20m+). Hoping they release a proshot for one or both. Similar to Echo, not sure if I actually like the song White Lights proper (feels like a teen movie montage song, Spanish class reference notwithstanding) but this thing did a ton in 13 minutes. Really jubilant/extended Peter piano solo would have been enough but then Rick took the reins and just tore the roof off the thing. Really felt the feeling I forgot during this one—guy took a single little riff theme and kept building and building on it slowly until it absolutely exploded. I know I said I wasn't really down with the second percussionist but he was awesome during this entire jam and pretty much the entire night, and definitely not overshadowing letting Ben do his thing. The White Lights in particular felt very String Cheese-y. Madhuvan, or Back On The Train, was the longest jam of the night and was pretty much all gas once the jam hit. Straight up fretwork pyrotechnics all over this thing and seemed to be the one that got the squares around me gong the hardest the entire night. Listen to this one ASAP.

Special shoutout to the 14m Disco Infero encore which was another highlight—some really nice, serene, patient playing here that made looking up at the stars on the farm mid-jam and getting lost for a second a memorable experience. Overall, I could have gone to see dudes fart into microphones and would have been satisified after 6 months with no live music. But Goose rules and this ruled. I can see the criticism of them being a little one-note from haters (speed, speed, speed) having some validity but I don't agree, and even so, it's still so early in their career. As the catalog and touring expand, that will continue to grow. Regardless, they've shown a unique penchant for creativity in the scene already with Bingo tour, drive ins, and now a socially distanced show. The ceiling on these dudes is insanely high.

— — —

RANDOM NOTES:

GOOD: With the distancing, you can't hear chompers! Nothing but the music.

BAD: With so few people spaced out so far, the post-song cheering is kinda awkward and quiet. Almost felt like they were playing for 12 people at points. Ditto for people getting nuts during hot jams. Gotta make your own energy, I guess. Dance like no one's watching, always.

GOOD: If people can just behave and the weather holds out, I would happily do this again. Loved having my own little designated section and being able to sit when I felt like it.

BAD: Spun wooks or just generally inconsiderate assholes are probably going to ruin this for everyone. During the encore, an incredibly drunk/spun whatever dude/bro was dancing like an idiot on the slope, looking like he'd tumble. Not in his own square, no mask, etc. After the show he's jabbering about god knows what. Screaming/talking to soundboard people with no masks. Seemed to be saying something about masks being for pussies. Everyone leaving the venue calmly and in masks and this guy you can hear from 100 feet away shouting and spritzing everyone with droplets in every direction. Just frustrating. Shut up and be a fucking human.

Overall, an awesome experience. Have fun if you're going tonight!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. Wharf Rat

unfortunately couldn't make it last night or tonight. Despite also living in the middle of nowhere, CT, right below the mass border, they're almost an hour from me and I worked till 8 both tonight and last night so I wouldn't have even been leaving until the show was half done. Pics from it looked great, looks like an absolutely beautiful place, definitely trying to get out there if they have more good bands.

However, I was able to make it to Cape Cod this weekend! Which wasn't as great of an experience as Morris sounds like but it was good. It was a drive in theater so no PA, just car speakers, and the squares were made by the cars. So that dampened the sound quality a little bit. But logistically it was similar and very easy. You ordered merch and food on your phone and were texted when it was ready which was a very cool feature. Security was very chill, you technically weren't supposed to be drinking but if you had a cup or koozie or just made an effort to hide it they didn't care. You were also supposed to have your mask on IN your square as well as outside of it which seemed a little overkill, but they weren't too strict about that either. Drive in theater employees dont wanna be fighting with wooks if they don't have to.

Music wise, honestly, I wasn't paying enough attention - I was very drunk and meeting some internet Phish friends for the first time so we were chomping most of the show BUT it was okay because of social distancing. Definitely wouldn't have been acting like that at a real show lol. But it does mean I can't really give a musical review but what I was paying attention to killed as usual. Overall a great time and something I'd do again, Biscuits are playing the same place next month so I might end up there for them as well, who knows.

Very, very nice to get to a show again. My soul is filled to put it in wookspeak

Drewski likes this.
  25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@Wharf Rat Ha, I feel like chomping can be forgiven with how distanced these shows are. Only had two beers cause I had to do all the driving but nearly cried during Rick’s solo in White Lights. Just felt so good to feel that again.

Wharf Rat likes this.