Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phish Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Awesome. I got the LivePhish streaming access but wasn't gonna pay for the mp3 lol. Big thanks

2. Wharf Rat

prompt: what is the best national touring jam band that isnt dead (or related) or phish? Is it Moe.? Umphrey's?? I've avoided most of these bands tbh

3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

My answer was going to be JRAD, but then I saw your (related) part of the qualifier.

I've enjoyed Turkuaz every time I've seen them (probably 5-6x). Don't know if I can say best though.

Umphrey's is great live and the musicianship between them is absolutely insane. It's crazy to think that they have played significantly more shows together than Phish has. That said, they are so in tune with one another that it's almost...soulless? I don't know, it's hard to explain.

Never seen moe.

Man, I'm not sure. This is tough haha.

My favorite active touring band besides Phish (though this is totally not jam) would probably be Foals. At the end of the day, I want to fully commit to the music I listen to. Jam bands require a LOT of time and effort, so I don't make the effort to dive deeply into that many.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Umphrey's puts on a good show but I never listen to them Agree with the "soulless" comment, they're almost like a machine. Moe is pretty awesome and probably my second favorite musically after Phish, only seen them once though. I enjoy Widespread too but they almost never do the kind of out there jamming Phish and others do. IF you like southern rock shredfests they're a good time.

All other jam bands should be avoided.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

I would probably go to just about any jam band show provided the ticket was reasonably priced, except maybe Disco Biscuits. Or Twiddle. But the ones you guys bring up are ones I've heard good things about, I meant to check out Moe. when they streamed their fest (Creek played and I thought they'd be streaming but they weren't) but I forgot.

also literally had Weekapaug in my head since the show. So glad I got that one, probably the best combination of "song I knew going in" and "incredibly danceable song" I could've asked for.

6. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

1) Don’t know how I did not reference them before, but...I love The Disco Biscuits. Their willingness to JAM and some of the segues and sandwiches they pull off are just absolutely mindblowing—and it’s honestly stuff you’re not getting at Phish or anywhere else. Fanbase is pretty brutal, but I have had an absolute BLAST every time I’ve seen them.

2) Hell yeah. Not only did you get first standalone Paug since 2003 (as I said), you got a true segue into Paug, and a full band tease of Paug later in the show. And the crowd was so into it all. The beginning of that show had obscene energy. Oh hell yeah!

LazyLightning is the best or second best Phish fan videographer and this video is amazing if you wanna relive it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

Yeah to be fair I am basically basing it on what I know of their fanbase. Like you say its a commitment to get into a jam band and they're just not a priority but I trust you enough that I respect them....somewhat....based on your comment.

Drewski likes this.
  8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Check this out. Little Betty Boop -> Crickets -> Boop. 3 songs, 50 minutes. Part absolute Barber shredfest, part downbeat synth groove, part Magner synth madness, part Crazy Train. I run to this segment a lot. SO MUCH ENERGY.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just watched this live and HOLY SHIT.

Wharf Rat and WordsfromaSong like this.
  10. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Just judging by the setlist looks like maybe the best show of tour.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Has to be. Needs to be.

12. Wharf Rat

Need a google drive of that one for sure

13. radiodead

Trusted

Alpine Valley is the most special venue in the entire US. No doubt.

phaynes12 likes this.
  14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Considering what I hear about the insane cops in lot and no Shakedown, I gotta disagree for Phish haha.

15. radiodead

Trusted

Ahh man have you been? It’s so gorgeous. Unlike anywhere I’ve ever been. It virtually ruined other outdoor amphitheater’s for me. The size of it is something to behold.

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Oh, I'm definitely not denying its beauty. The pictures and photos are mind-bending, and every friend/phan I know who has been says it is an otherworldly experience, specifically when you are inside. The vibes outside are just abysmal for phans though. No Shakedown. A jail/booking place on site. Just general dickhead cops ruining the mood.

But yes, strictly inside the venue it looks insane.

radiodead likes this.
  17. Wharf Rat

Never been to any of them but it seems to me that Gorge and Red Rox have a shout at most beautiful venue as well

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

alpine valley #1 venue i’ve ever been too. besides being a great stage and having great sound, it’s fucking beautiful being in the resort/mountains

need to get to red rocks though

radiodead, Drewski and Wharf Rat like this.
  21. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Red Rocks is beyond description. It is SO rare in life that something is built up so highly in your head for so long and then that thing manages to exceed your lofty expectations.

My one show there was JRAD in 2017 before Phish's Dick's run and it was an exceptional show and experience. During the first set, wayyyy off in the distance, you could see thunder and lightning crackling over the mountains, putting on an absolutely beautiful show. By the time JRAD encored with Morning Dew, the crowd was pindrop quiet and the rain finally came. Light pitter patters on the rocks were all you could hear along with the music. I will never forget that moment.

radiodead and Wharf Rat like this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

First relisten of that Ruby Waves and...fuck man.

[​IMG]

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I worship at the altar of Steven Hyden. I don't think any critic combines love and the ability to spotlight out scene (Oso Oso, Young Jesus, etc) and classic rock/jam quite like he does.

His review of last night...

radiodead likes this.
  24. radiodead

Trusted

I’m a big Hyden fan as well. I’ve heard some grumbling around the forum about him but my taste lines up really well with his. He might lean a little hard into some of the Americana stuff that is just ok for me. I prefer Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and he loves Sky Blue Sky is probably the best example.

25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I'm not even trying to be a dick, but anyone who hates on Hyden in this forum is a shortsighted dunce. He's one of the best advocates we have for our scene (punk/emo/etc) because his other more mainstream knowledge and tastes lend credence to the smaller stuff IMO.

radiodead likes this.