Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Philadelphia Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by screamoutmyname, Apr 5, 2016.

1. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

double post whoops. already planning on going down the shore and got a hotel room for the weekend or else I would definitely be there. they do some really cool stuff over there.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

3. Still figuring that out. Most of the places I've been contacting are Fairmount/Art Museum.

4. Philly is okay. I think Fishtown has my favorite bars in the city...Interstate Draft House, Bottle Bar, Lloyds, The Yachtsman, El Bar (technically kensington?), Loco Pez.

I think the Union Transfer is prob my favorite venue

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  5. Each neighborhood has their own vibe. Art Museum area is great because you'll have the Schuylkill River Trail nearby! I live in Fishtown- it's great being by the el (subway), so many great bars and venues nearby- the fillmore (and foundry) opened recently. There's also johnny brendas, ortliebs, everything that spiffa0 said above. Let me know if you have any questions!

6. ikanacanyon

Free jake w

I actually live in the Fairmount area and I love it. It's nice being close to the Art Museum and Franklin Institute. There are a bunch of great restaurants just outside of Center City in that area too, but CC itself is also really close so you could just as easily go there as well.

7. itsmesean0630

There's no "I" in team but there's an "i" in pizza Prestigious

I feel like trying to tell people which neighborhood to move to is tough because we all feel so close with our neighborhoods, ha.

That said, I live in Fishtown and love it. Great bars, music venues, shops, etc etc. But I would recommend to go to each neighborhood and walk around. Could you see yourself enjoying everything? Does it have everything you want within walking distance? Walkability is my biggest concern.

I hope you find a place!

8. moving to philly next month!!

US Camera and WhitestKidUKnow like this.
  9. timcsheehan

Regular

I wish i would have seen this thread a week ago. i am on day 5 of an 8 day stay here for work. been a great time, loving the city, but could have used some recommendations

10. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

where have you been so far?

11. Update: Moving to Northern Liberties near the Piazza next week! Super excited to be in walking distance of a lot places and go exploring, hopefully make some new friends.

DrAlanGrant and US Camera like this.
  12. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

where are you moving from?

13. timcsheehan

Regular

I'm staying at the Loews hotel in central city so I've been around here mostly. A lot of time at reading terminal. A lot of places around 13th and Sansom: McGillans, a pizza place, sushi place, insomnia cookies. Was in fishtown last night at the bottle beer bar and Johnny Brenda's. Trying to make it to long tooth records.

14. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

reading terminal is great. if you get a chance to get back into fishtown, I recommend barcade. it's a cool spot as well as frankford hall.

15. ikanacanyon

Free jake w

If you get a chance and the weather is nice the Independence Beer Garden is also really cool.

16. Long Island. I just got a job down in Philly and have a couple of friends there, I just needed a change.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how excited are you to be within two hours of me???

18. the main reason I'm moving there. close....but not too close

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

cwhit likes this.
  19. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

awesome! welcome.

20. timcsheehan

Regular

i gotta say I really did enjoy my time in the city. I live in Atlanta and have been in GA my whole life., but could totally see myself living in the northeast at some point

21. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

For anyone in Philly who hasn't heard of it before, Through Beng Cool is happening tonight at The Dolphin Tavern. It's a pop punk/emo/early 2000's DJ night. So if anyone wants to get drunk and dance your teenage angst out I highly recommend it. The DJ's don't put a lot of effort into transitions and crossfading but their sets are jam-packed with good songs.

Here's a typical setlist

22. screamoutmyname

are we having fun yet?

besides Helium, where are the stand up open mics in philly?

23. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I haven't seen any consistent ones anywhere. but I'm pretty sure I've seen one at Ortlieb's in northern liberties and one at the Grape Room in manayunk. but those were just random facebook posts and haven't seen anything since.

on an unrelated note, seeing TMP at the foundry on friday. first time at the foundry, pretty excited.

also, I have never been to Through Being Cool, but it seems like such a good time. I need to get there this summer.

24. I'll be there too. There's also a Makeoutclub, like through being cool (emo music) at kung fu necktie at 11 tonight

25. Anyone attending any philly beer week events this week?