Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 3, 2016.

1. I mean it's totally fine to say the movie looks boring to you, but calling it a show off piece is not accurate at all

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

He makes movies. Do cinephiles tend to love his material? Yes, because he transcends the norms of the average filmmaker and his work stands out above the majority of American films, but to say he makes films for cinephiles is kind of silly. That makes it sound like he’s pandering, when I’m actuality he is just making material that is true to himself. Also, entertainment is subjective. I find his movies more entertaining than 90% of the garbage that is pumped out every year.

You have every right to say it looks boring and that it doesn’t look entertaining to you, but if you’re accusing it of being pretentious, then that’s incorrect.

Also, is there something inherently wrong with a passion project?

dadbolt, coleslawed and Anthony_ like this.
  3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This has to be the first time I’ve seen passion project used as a pejorative term.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Plus There Will Be Blood was a huge success

coleslawed and Anthony_ like this.
  5. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Have any of his movies not been passion projects?

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

When people refer to "passion projects" I always assume they mean a specific type of situation where the filmmaker has been trying to get something made for a really, really long time but has never been able to realize that vision before, or something that they could only make every expending immense personal and professional effort. A good recent example of something I'd call a passion project would be Scorsese's Silence last year. That film languished in pre-production for literal decades while he tried to get it made. Ryan Reynolds' crusade to make Deadpool, even going so far as to risk serious consequences for leaking that test footage, would be another example.

Obviously any serious filmmaker puts his or her passion into what they do. But I don't quite think most people are being so intentionally literal when they use the phrase. But hey, that's just me, what the hell do I know.

thethingis likes this.
  7. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I feel like it can be used for both. Yes, there are critically successful projects that are termed passion projects and ooze with craftsmanship and love, but I've also seen it used as 'well that wasn't any good but it was the movie/album/art they wanted to make'.

8. Anthony_

I think the point was that, even if the film was bad, the fact that it was a passion project isn't typically why it's bad. Most times people use the term "overly-indulgent" in situations like that, right?

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

You're waiting to see if any critics say a PTA flick is any good? You don't even have to hold your breath then.

Also, you can't find any entertainment out of films like Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, or Boogie Nights?? wtf

dadbolt and Anthony_ like this.
  10. I won't stand for the Inherent Vice slander

11. Dog with a Blog

Inherent Vice is great. Not in the same way The Master or There Will Be Blood is great, but it is an absolutely hilarious comedy. I cannot even begin to describe how hard Martin Short makes me laugh in that movie.

dadbolt likes this.
  12. Obviously I will never really know what it felt like to exist in that era, but that movie kinda feels as close as it gets. And yeah, it's also really fucking funny.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

Every Anderson film since Punch-Drunk Love has grown in my memory as the years ago. I didn't like Inherent Vice at first but as time has gone on I recall scenes and looks that characters give each other fondly.

dadbolt, tucah, popdisaster00 and 2 others like this.
  14. Selfishly I’d like him to make another film that takes place today/in the present, but I’m still really into everything he does regardless

Anthony_ likes this.
  15. Anthony_

I thought Inherent Vice was as good of an adaptation as was possible to make of the novel (which I really loved, seriously that book is great). I enjoyed it a lot and it's still probably my second-favorite film of 2014 (after The Grand Budapest Hotel).

tucah likes this.
  16. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I meant, I will wait to see if perhaps it's a different film then the trailer indicates.

And yes, I enjoyed those movies (to different degrees) but I did not like Magnolia, The master and I absolutely despised Inherent Vice.

Either way, I'm just giving my opinion based on the limited information we've been given about this movie. I need more in my favorite movies than just beautiful cinematography, costumes and sets and I have a feeling this movie will focus heavily on all that. I mean it's a movie about fashion, so I think the subject matter is just not for me. To each their own though.

17. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Definitely my most anticipated (next to Last Jedi) of the rest of the year. PTA never disappoints.

18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Inherent Vice has maybe become my favorite PTA movie. It cuts my favorite parts of the book out, which still bums me out, but it's so fucking entertaining. As much as I love The Master and There Will Be Blood (my other two favorites), I can't just sit down and watch those any day.

19. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Inherent Vice isn't his best movie, but I can watch it over and over. The disjointedness of the narrative feels nonsensical at time, but for one I've heard is true to the spirit of the book and even beyond that it's easily forgivable on subsequent viewings.

20. I Am Mick and Anthony_ like this.
  21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That article confirmed my fears of them rushing to get this movie done in time for awards season, which sucks.

22. Bloodsucker II likes this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

All sold out -_-

24. Morrissey

Trusted

If the Oscars end up ruining a Paul Thomas Anderson movie due to the rush for qualification, it is finally time to burn that entire organization down.

jkauf, dadbolt, tucah and 2 others like this.