Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 3, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Can't believe this comes out in two months.

can we get a thread title update?

2. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Intriguing.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Wowwwwww. That trailer is bringing the hype for real. It looks absolutely gorgeous too, although I expect nothing less from PTA.

4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Excited for this. The trailer makes this look pretty damn great.

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Looks great, can't wait. Though apparently they're still editing it, I really hope they don't end up rushing it just for awards season

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  6. Morrissey

Trusted

Anderson consistently has some of the best trailers. Too often films like this will try to hide their weirdness in trailers, but he always embraces it.

It is unfortunate that it is going to be part of Oscar hysteria, but any time he releases a new film it is an exciting time.

7. Dog with a Blog

Awesome

8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Very much looking forward to this. PTA never lets me down.

9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

37B4B70B-18A6-4253-9D5B-67663C5C726A.jpeg

jkauf and coleslawed like this.
  10. Yay, can't wait.

11. Serh Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 24, 2017)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Might be my most anticipated for the rest of '17 as well, and we have a Star Wars movie and a Pixar movie coming out!

12. Looks good. This is apparently PTA's debut as DP, also.

13. Dog with a Blog

Really? That is interesting.

DejaMoi likes this.
  14. Bloodsucker II likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I'm interested to see how the whole film looks with him doing the cinematography on his own. But, like I said above, if this trailer is any indication it's looking like PTA did just fine as his own DP.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty sure he was his own DP on that Haim documentary/music video whatever from a couple months ago

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

PTA going full Soderbergh

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. Looks great! Can't wait to watch this

19. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Also collaborating with Jonny again yay

coleslawed, Anthony_ and Mary V like this.
  20. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Any word on the release schedule? Is that a wide Christmas or limited with wide in January?

21. Their social media says "Select theaters" on Christmas, so I'm assuming it's limited with wide in January.

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

His scores are every bit as exciting as the films and that's really really saying something. At this point, he nearly deserves to be considered peers with the master post modern composers that have influenced his work and whom he has also worked with. We're talking the likes of Steve Reich, Olivier Messiaen, and Phil Glass. It may be overshadowed in the popular music world by Radiohead's career presence, but really he has achieved something on his own much greater than that with the scores for TWBB and The Master. He is seriously gifted.

dadbolt likes this.
  23. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Not feeling the look of this movie at all. YAWN. It just looks like a passion project, show off piece for all involved.

24. Divine opinion

dadbolt and Anthony_ like this.
  25. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Just the vibe I'm getting. I will wait to see if any critics/friends/colleagues offer a countering opinion before deciding that I'll go see it. I know it's only a trailer and I could be way off, but like everyone giving their opinion about being hyped, I am simply offering a counter point that this looks like an absolute snooze fest. However, I get that this is exactly the kind of movie he makes (besides Inherent Vice which is probably why I'm being a bit salty as that movie was an absolute turd). He's always made movies for the cinephiles, focusing more on directing aesthetics and flexing those acting muscles than entertainment.