Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017) Movie • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I mean I'm pretty sure she was paying attention. Just didn't resonate with her. Don't know what else to say, really.

OotyPa likes this.
  2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

didnt mean to offend

3. Morrissey

Trusted

I rewatched this today. People talk so often about films growing on second watch, but with Anderson's work it is very much true. Because of the length of time between his films (we are averaging five years per "serious" drama), and the body of work he has created, it is hard to fully appreciate what he is doing the first time you watch it. You are comparing it to what came before, and at first the new film can seem aimless or subdued. However, once you can strip the expectation of plot away, you can focus on what Anderson is really doing.

We can broadly identify recent Anderson films by saying they are about singular men meeting their match (Barry and Lena, Daniel and Eli, Freddie and Dodd, Reynolds and Alma), and here we come to the most interesting conclusion, an accepted act of submission. We expect the conflict to come in the fashion world, but Alma is not too interested in that. Instead, she ends up dominating the brilliant man the way Dodd took orders from his wife behind the scenes and Lena saw a side of Barry he hid during his violent outbursts. It is more unsettling because it is hard to understand; why can't he just be more loving toward her without needing to be reduced to a patient? However, with enough hints from his memories of his mother and his weird relationship with his sister, we see that he has always had a problem with women. In that way it is scarier than the average horror film.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. Anthony_

6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Haven’t seen this yet but finally got around to Inherent Vice, and while I definitely need to watch it again, I think I loved it way more than most people did, haha.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

coleslawed and Dog with a Blog like this.
  8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Is that White Chicks or The Hot Chick? Lol

9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

WHite

10. Dog with a Blog

coleslawed likes this.
  11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

aoftbsten, Joe and Anthony_ like this.
  12. Jake Gyllenhaal

aoftbsten likes this.
  13. Anthony_

It’s on digital now, blu-ray on April 10.

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

A food fight looks like so much fun to film haha.

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Same here. It’s too long but I still love it.

16. He would have a flip phone ha

17. Dog with a Blog

Damn, even DDL is a victim of the condom beanie syndrome

coleslawed likes this.
  18. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

That’s awesome. I wonder if I would even look closely enough to recognize him in that scenario.

19. I absolutely love The Master (I wanted Joaquin Phoenix to win the Oscar), so it's a shame that I dislike both Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread.

20. dlemert

Trusted

This was totally not what I expected, but in a great way. Anyone else feel like this was PTA's Gone Girl?

21. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Love the reversible artwork on the Blu-ray. TWBB and The Master have the same thing. I just hate the lack of making-of docs/commentaries on his releases. I could listen to him talk (about anything) for hours.

Anthony_ and Dog with a Blog like this.
  22. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I just saw this movie last night and I can't stop thinking about it

23. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

That’s great to hear! I’m really glad you liked it. Hands down the best picture of last year. It’s probably my favorite PTA film.

Dog with a Blog and theagentcoma like this.
  24. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Oh wow, I had no idea the cover was reversible

25. Jake Gyllenhaal

It certainly taught me to use oil instead of butter when cooking asparagus