Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

primavera likes this.
  2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

god damn

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. Dog with a Blog

All of me wants to go, but I’m going to a show the night prior and I don’t think I could do both

4. Spoilers.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

6. primavera

sean fennessey must read

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Good article.

I like this movie more in retrospect, and would appreciate it more on further viewings. I think, looking back, I was uncomfortable by the story and themes explored in this film. I was disturbed by the subtle (yet completely in-your-face) emotional abuse shared almost lovingly between the two characters. I believe I was disturbed by how comically this played, challenging the way the film explored how all relationships consist of (in their own ways) a ritualistic dynamic shifting between two partners and their individual personalities, in discovering a mutually-accepted power balance. This concept is extremely heavy, but comes through so naturally between Alma and Woodcock that it's received by the audience as banter. Very beautiful, and feels disturbingly real.

I haven't seen them all but my PTA ranking so far would probably look like this:

Magnolia > Boogie Nights > There Will Be Blood > Phantom Thread

Still gotta see the others though I've heard bad things about Inherent Vice.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's not bad. It's just not as good as many of his other films.

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah Inherent Vice gets way too much undeserved hate. It's obviously not on the same level as some of his other films, but it has some really great performances and is also easily PTA's most "fun" movie. I will say, though, as I usually do when discussing Inherent Vice, that I did read the book prior to seeing it so that might color my opinions on it somewhat.

10. Anthony_

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

It's so funny to me how much my girlfriend hated the movie. I think she gets caught up in the fact that the story is very simple and isn't particulary rivetting. This movie is basically a character study about Woodcock and the dynamics of a toxic relationship, both with work and with your significant other.

I want her to watch There Will Be Blood, but I feel like she'll feel the same way she does about PT. Ugh.

12. Anthony_

My fiancé vehemently despises PTA's work, always gives me crap for showing her There Will Be Blood (which she calls "the worst movie [she's] ever seen"). So I feel your pain on that one.

OotyPa and chewbacca110 like this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

My girlfriend also disliked Phantom Thread. She's never seen There Will Be Blood but I feel she'd probably be bored by it. It might have to do with PTA's fascination with the male antihero.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  14. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I've noticed my girlfriend stuggles to comprehend reprehensible characters and gets zero enjoyment or intrigue out of them. She always seems to expect a finale, or a conflict to overcome, and resolution. When this and It Follows ended she said "That's it?".

@OotyPa nailed it that PTA has fascination with the male antihero. I personally love it.

15. Anthony_

God damn the final shot of It Follows is so effing perfect though

I feel like Phantom Thread movie actually has a pretty definite resolution, though, personally.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Omg

17. primavera

i’m just imagining XO playing during the omelette scene

18. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Solid film, I feel like I'd enjoy it alot more on a second viewing, it was alot funnier than I expected lol.

19. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I :heart: this movie I have to go see it again asap

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

how is that even fucking possible

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

22. Anthony_

She just doesn't enjoy it, I don't know.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

Paul Thomas Anderson movies are not for everyone. They are on the verge of mainstream, but they can be a little bit too weird for the average person to sit through. Half of my theater walked out of The Master.

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

He struck something pretty universally appealing with TWBB though. Idk how anyone could watch it and not find anything to like. Theyre really just not paying attention at that point. The first 30 minutes of that movie is maybe the best opening in all of cinema.

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Or people have different tastes?

"They're really just not paying attention at that point" ffs

Aregala likes this.