Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

PGA/LPGA Golf Discussion Thread • Page 42

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ChrisCantWrite, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Silentjury

Regular

Sneaky awesome weekend for golf viewing. Decent PGA field at Colonial. NCAA men are starting their championship. The LPGA has been playing in a match play event at Shadow Creek in Vegas, which has been skyrocketing at the top of my list of course to play after watching it this week.

Speaking of the women, Rose Zhang from Stanford is turning pro after her sophomore year and back-to-back NCAA titles. I know the women's game gets inundated with these next superstars that never pan out, but I think Rose is different. She is someone to watch out for in terms of challenging Annika Sorenstam for best modern player. Plus, she has an outgoing and marketable personality that will be a welcomed addition to a LPGA tour that is lacking quite a bit of flair.

fredwordsmith and Sean Murphy like this.
  2. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Block will be a millionaire when this is all said and done because most people don’t give a shit about the field of Colonial this week, and care even less that he’s playing poorly today. The hole in one and the up and down on 18 are going to live in peoples minds even longer than Brooks’ win last week.

I agree he is a little too “Oh shucks,” for my taste, but I absolutely don’t blame him for taking every opportunity he’s given.

John Lopiano likes this.
  3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

fun finish today at Colonial. Fun few weeks coming up leading into the US Open. Looking forward to next weekend’s Memorial.

4. Silentjury

Regular

5. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Played 36 today in Ojai and saw Mike Dirnt from Green Day playing with his kid at the course. Pretty random but cool to see and he's got a great swing as well!

John Lopiano and jorbjorb like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Rory keeps saying he's done talking about LIV and then every week i see something like this lol

jorbjorb likes this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lmao phil is feeling frisky today

jorbjorb likes this.
  8. Silentjury

Regular

Intriguing leaderboard at the Memorial. Justin Suh, who has been playing some awesome golf, has a one-shot lead over Hideki. I hope Hideki's neck injury is a thing of the past because it is more fun when he is contention. Plus, he sets up really well for LACC in a couple weeks for the US Open. Another player in contention is Rickie. Could he match Jason Day in this road to redemption narrative? He has always played well there so I would not count him out.

On the LPGA side, Rose Zhang is just a few shots back in her first tournament as a pro.

9. Silentjury

Regular

Man, some truly awful golf this afternoon leads to the situation below so I guess I shouldn't complain.

10. Silentjury

Regular

I don't know what's more frustrating, Rory's wedges or Scottie's putting. Both will look to those two aspects if neither of them win this week. Scottie didn't make a putt over 9 feet the entire week!

LPGA is on the Golf Channel right now as Rose Zhang attempts to make history by winning her first pro start.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

VIKTOR!!!!!

12. Silentjury

Regular

Glad to see it!!! I'm partial to awesome putters like Denny McCarthy but will always cheer for Viktor.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Tough for Denny, what a first win that would have been.

14. fredwordsmith Jun 4, 2023
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2023)
    fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Good for Big Dik Vik. I love his game. Guy has worked overtime on his short game and he and Scottie are in it every week now.

Rory needs to fire Harry tomorrow. Too much waste of a ton of talent, just for employing your buddy.

John Lopiano likes this.
  15. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Wild

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

whoa

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Wonder who will take controlling interest, or if it's a 50-50 deal

19. Silentjury

Regular

WTF.

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lmao

jorbjorb, John Lopiano and Brent like this.
  21. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Checking in a few player's twitters and it looks like no one knew about this. This is going to get crazy. Sucks for people like Rory who spent so long going to battle on this for this to all go down.

Brent likes this.
  22. Silentjury

Regular

This is probably recency bias, and I am siloed given how closely I follow golf as compared to other sports, but this has to be one of the most shocking pieces of sports news ever. Given the vitriol between the players and Jay Monahan's grandstanding about LIV's blood money exactly a year ago, I did not see this coming despite Rory's desire to sit down at the table. It sounds like a lot of players are in the same boat.

As always, this just boils down to money. LIV had no leverage--the interest in their product had waned and they were not attracting any bigger names. PGA Tour is in the midst of one of their best seasons so there was no reason to upset the apple cart other than an injection of money. I guess it shouldn't be surprising after all.

We will see how this plays out for the fans. Obviously, it will be nice to have the likes of Koepka, DJ, and Cam Smith back into the fold. I just hope the team concept gets fleshed out better, if they decide to go that route. I also hope the exhibition feel of LIV doesn't take over.

John Lopiano likes this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this is easily the biggest sports news in recent memory that i can think of. just a huge day for the sport and IMO a great day for fans of golf.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

jorbjorb likes this.