Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

PGA/LPGA Golf Discussion Thread • Page 32

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ChrisCantWrite, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

well here goes nothin

2DB9D921-107F-4A11-9D94-DC370C8F8E86.jpeg

Texas Flood and fredwordsmith like this.
  2. Silentjury

Regular

Good luck at Bethpage! I would like to play that course someday despite how much it would eat me alive.

It's always fun finding a hidden gem and I did that today. Played a nine-hole course about an hour north of the Twin Cities. Can't beat paying only 12 dollars to play a well-maintained and interesting course. They also spread out their tee times appropriately, though that was not a factor considering how dead it was. That was a nice change of pace considering I have run into my fair share of knuckleheads lately. My short game was on fire which is out of the norm for me. Started driving the ball well but ended with some awful slices. Pretty good round overall.

Maybe I'll watch more of it tomorrow, but the Tour Championship is not really grabbing my attention. Seems like it's a two- horse race between Xander and Scottie, though Rahm and Im are trying to make it interesting

Reports are that the following players are heading to LIV after this week: Cam Smith, Joaquin Niemann, Mito Pereira, Harold Varner III, Marc Leishman and Cameron Tringale. We've known about Cam for a while but losing those some of those young players could be a huge blow to the depth of the tour that bridges the gap between the elite players and the lower end players. It's crazy how much money LIV has in the coffers. I wonder if they are nearing a broadcast deal and the long-rumored Adidas deal.

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Cam Smith, Harold Varner, and Joaquin Nieman confirmed this morning to LIV

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

wow Mark Leishman, Cameron Tringale, and Anirban Lahiri as well.

pga tour is in shambles

6. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

At what point do the PGA just agree to coexist somehow and try to solve this?

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

honestly, i think that could have been an option before guys like Rory got so outspoken about it. like, i genuinely don't understand why Rory is so pressed about it. watching his interviews i'm just like dude get over it.

8. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Aside from Cam, this is not a loss. The other guys aren’t selling tickets.

The new “top guys in 20 events per year” may seem like LIV-lite, but it’s going to give a narrative. I’m really excited to see how it goes down.

9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lol Koepka is so washed

10. Silentjury

Regular

I was six inches away from my first hole-in-one last night in my fall golf league. It was a fun night with some nice playing partners.

Presidents' Cup teams have been announced. US team consists of Scheffler, Cantlay, Schauffele, Burns, Thomas, Finau, Spieth, Morikawa, Homa, Horschel, Young and Kisner. International team consists of Matsuyama, Tom Kim, Si Woo Kim, Im, Pereira, Scott, Conners, Bezuidenhout, Pendrith, Munoz, Davis and KH Lee.

Happy to see Kisner finally make it to one of these teams. US should be heavy favorites.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

these guys gotta quit the whinin' honestly. it's becoming such a weird look.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

13. Silentjury

Regular

Didn't get to see it but saw highlights of Max Homa winning the Fortinet. An unfortunate three putt by Danny Willett allowed Homa to get the victory. Max has four wins in his last 40 tournaments played. The next step is to see if he can contend in majors which is something he has not done yet. I'm not sure what holds him back in majors but would love to see him contend someday.

President's Cup week is here. I hope the internationals can make it interesting, though I fear it will be a blowout.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. Silentjury

Regular

The US will most likely win the Presidents Cup tomorrow but it's absolutely worth watching for Tom Kim. The dude is so fun to watch. It's crazy the trajectory he has been on. From watching him at the 3M Open in August trying to get his card to now being the star of the Presidents Cup, it's hard to think of a similar sudden rise.

15. Silentjury

Regular

Overall, it was a more compelling Presidents Cup than I thought it would be. The South Koreans made things interesting with Si Woo Kim and Tom Kim hamming it up to the crowds. Despite Kisner and Horschel bringing little to the table, the US was just too much for the LIV-decimated International team. It should be noted that US was dealt with a tough blow with Zalatoris being out due to a bad back. I do wish they would incorporate the women into this tournament to balance things it out.

Speaking of women, Danielle Kang almost won yesterday, however, the supremely talented Atthaya Thitikul won in a playoff. Happy to see Kang back in contention after dealing with that spinal tumor earlier this year.

16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Protect Tom Kim at all costs. He and Max were fun as hell to watch all week.

17. Silentjury

Regular

Fun afternoon of golf today. Tom Kim wins in Vegas and doesn't make a bogey all week. Second youngest ever with multiple tour wins. Cantlay made an absolute mess of it on the 18th hole. Not sure why he took such a weak swing when he had to chip through two bushes.

On the LPGA side, Jodi Ewart Shadoff earns her first win in 246 starts. She has always been a consistent player given her representation in several international team competitions but would seemingly always fall off dramatically when in contention. Happy to see her pull through even though it was at the expense of Danielle Kang at her home course.

John Lopiano likes this.
  18. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Tom Kim has IT. I don’t know if he was born with it or if he’s faking it until he’s clearly made it. But my goodness, the kid can play.

John Lopiano likes this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Nice to see Brooks get the W this weekend.

20. Silentjury

Regular

If you're bored with the football and baseball, you might want to head over to the Golf Channel as we have a fun tournament going on with McIlroy and Rahm in contention. A win for Rory gets him the number one ranking.

21. Silentjury

Regular

Rahm faded down the stretch and Rory was too much for Kitayama. Rory is #1!. Though errant at times this week, his driving is such an advantage over the rest of the field.

22. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Watching Rory ball when it’s all clicking is one of my favorite things in all of sports. Steph on a heater or Ja/Giannis going off, Chiefs/Bills, and this is about all that will get me to drop what I’m doing and watch sports now.

I would quit playing golf for a year just so he could win a Masters. If he got that singular monkey off his back, he could rattle off 10 majors in his career.

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

these things have kinda run their course - not remotely interested in this

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I do wish they would let these guys talk in non-forced banter. I think JT and Tiger are class A shit talkers, and Rory and Jordan are both very interesting cats. Would love to see them play this like they would a Tuesday money game.

25. Silentjury

Regular

Two holes in and "The Match" is quite fun so far. The banter is kind of limited given they're all riding separate carts. Kinda wish the teams would ride together but whatever.