Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

PGA/LPGA Golf Discussion Thread • Page 31

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ChrisCantWrite, Mar 31, 2016.

1. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Just absolutely fucking gutted to the core for Rory.

I don’t root for any real teams beyond Iowa Hawkeye football, so I root for golfers - none more so than Rory. And today is a BAD day.

I get that Cam won it, and won’t argue that point. Guy went out and put up an all time back nine. But he wouldn’t have mattered if Rory had made a single putt all day. When you literally two-putt every green in a major after hitting every green, it’s not a matter of chances, it’s a matter of convergence. And he flat out didn’t convert most of the weekend. He lost 3 strokes to the field between Saturday and Sunday. An average putting weekend and that’s your margin.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. Texas Flood Jul 17, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2022)
    Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Gross.

Cyclone fan

jorbjorb likes this.
  3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

jorbjorb likes this.
  4. Silentjury

Regular

And it's so very 2022 golf for now the discussion to already turn to LIV. Between Cam Smith's non-answer in his presser to Jamie Weir saying on "No Laying Up" that he has good info that the three Aussies (Cam Smith, Marc Leishman, Adam Scott) are going to LIV after the Presidents Cup, it's depressing to see golf become so fractured. And who knows, with reports of Hideki joining LIV for $350 million, LIV could have more Top 50 players than the PGA by the beginning of next year.

With that said, who's excited for the 3M Open? Just kidding. It's a shame that a PGA event taking place five minutes away from my home is easily the worst event on the Tour. An ugly course with no defining characteristics and a weak field in an event that takes place the week after a great major does not get me excited, but I will still be there with my nephew on Friday cheering on Sahith.

fredwordsmith and jorbjorb like this.
  5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Charles Howell III, Jason Kokrak, and Henrik Stensen officially on LIV

rumor is also that Cam Smith was offered $90mil and will be next.

jorbjorb likes this.
  6. Silentjury

Regular

Hot but fun day at the 3M Open. Followed the Theegala/Kim/Hadley group for the first nine holes. Kim impressed me with his play given his young age. Theegala started out well but looked a little fatigued by the ninth hole. Hadley's chip on the ninth hole was so smooth. All in all, a good day spent with the nine-year-old nephew.

Now hoping anyone can surpass Piercy by the end of the weekend.

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Fuck yeah Tony!

8. Silentjury

Regular

Awesome to see Tony win. Glad the wind picked up to make things interesting, though the way the nerves got to Piercy not sure it would have mattered.

9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Wouldn’t shit on Scott Piercy if he was on fire. Glad he ate shit today.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

oh wow Bubba went to LIV

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Tony! Again!

12. Silentjury

Regular

I hope Tony has discovered the formula that will allow him to be in discussion for the majors next year. It would be fun to have in some of the final groups. One caveat is that these victories have not come on the hardest of courses, but he still made the shots he needed to and putted quite well.

On another note, Joohyung Kim has basically earned enough points on his special exemption to earn his PGA card for next year. Watch out for this guy. He's already ranked #40 in the world at 20 years old. I can see him winning a major within the next few years.

13. Silentjury

Regular

I told you Tom Kim was good. Second youngest player to win on the PGA Tour since World War Two. And to think, he started the week with an eight on the first hole.

John Lopiano likes this.
  14. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

My buddy and I just won tickets to The Open next year for four through their lottery process. I’ll be in Liverpool for next year’s Open!

fredwordsmith and Sean Murphy like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yoooo

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this is weird lol

17. Silentjury Aug 16, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2022)
    Silentjury

Regular

Rickie Fowler arrived with him so that pretty much squashes any Rickie to LIV rumors.

It will be interesting to see what comes from this meeting. It's hard to gauge how Tiger views Jay Monahan and the job he has done. Tiger is a traditionalist and not one to make too many waves so I'm not expecting any grand changes coming from this meeting. The whole "boycott the majors" thing proposed by Davis Love III is not going to happen. Even Tiger--which I don't think he would endorse it anyway--wouldn't be able to get the likes of Rory, JT and Rahm to avoid the majors.

I think the next monumental discussion will occur when the OWGR committee makes their decision on awarding points for LIV events, and I'm not sure when that decision will occur. If they don't, LIV is screwed because as Patrick Reed found out last week, playing in Asian Tour events is not gonna be a viable route for some of these players to earn enough points to get into the majors.

18. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Fuck Patrick Reed. $750 Million?

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

patrick reed is the fucking worst lol

wish no success for that man

John Lopiano and Texas Flood like this.
  20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

also, he is a fucking cheater

John Lopiano and Texas Flood like this.
  21. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I guarantee his wife said how much to sue for.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Playing Bethpage Yellow this afternoon. Black sure is looking pretty today.

CABA3E12-F712-4EA9-ACDF-B23F3A34BAC0.jpeg

Texas Flood and John Lopiano like this.
  23. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I haven’t been out in a month ugh

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

The stuff announced today is a bonkers win for anyone on tour.

No Laying Up covered it very well with a tour player named Keith Mitchell who is a great equidistant point between good player and rank and file, and he’s pumped. It’s not easy to root for a corporation but it’s easy to root against LIV. If these changes mean we get to see more of the good players on courses that matter more often, that’s good for everyone.

Fuck Cam Smith and all the dodgers. May they sleep poorly on their piles of cash.

25. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Also, shot in the dark:

Through a lot of training in season and off, and good play that’s increased my floor and ceiling for scores I can shoot and lowered my handicap, I’ve made it to the final four of our club championship. I’m in the championship flight so it’s straight up (no strokes) match play over 18 holes. Win this match and I am in the final, same format. To be one of a few guys out of 200 in various flights to have this shot is really fucking cool.

Getting to the final four was a goal I set for myself earlier in the year and I’m glad to have achieved it. But now I’m having trouble squaring that I could win it all. The three guys with lower handicaps than me in our championship flight all lost already (match play is wild) so I’m the last remaining top seed and feel like a favorite. It’s not a position I’ve been in for 20 years since I played in college and my nerves are rusty.

Has anyone else ever competed for (or won) their club championship, and what advice do you have?

John Lopiano likes this.