Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pete Wentz Talks Upcoming Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy sat down with Diffuser to talk about the band’s upcoming tour and album:

Honestly, it was mostly an attitude adjustment. Patrick and I realized we were making a record for neither of us. He thought I loved the songs and I thought he loved the songs. But when we actually talked about them, we realized neither of us loved them. I think Fall Out Boy is unmoored from who we were 10 years ago. We came from a scene and a place, but we’re not tethered to that scene or place anymore. The beauty of that is that we can put out any record right now. But the one record we couldn’t put out is a mediocre Fall Out Boy record. There’s just no point in that. So we just need to put some more work into the songs.

2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Interesting. Did they scrap these songs he speaks of here entirely and write completely new ones? I think it's good that they didn't release something that they didn't fully love but at the same time not sure why they started releasing singles so early in process.

3. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Interesting read.

4. heymattrick

Sending my love

Pretty sure songs were scrapped entirely and started over. The Last of the Real Ones was written right after the decision to delay the album, if I’m not mistaken.

Bayside 182 and Jason Tate like this.
  5. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Always find it so interesting to hear Pete speak about how approaches being in a band, I find his mentality to be really inspiring and refreshing.

6. Bryan Diem

Trusted

He's so right about 2013 and 2015 being so similar.

7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Cool quote - "For me rock ‘n’ roll has always been an idea. Yes, it's guitar, bass, and drums, but it's also a dangerous idea. I never wanted it to become this quaint thing where you take your kid to museum and point to the diorama, and say, “Look, son. This is rock ‘n’ roll.”"

Turkeylegz likes this.
  8. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The museum analogy is exactly how I feel about Foo Fighters

oldboot likes this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

haha so true!

10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Did he listen to American Beauty/American Psycho?

GEM37 and Bryan Diem like this.
  11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I like that he compares it to what a DJ or something would put out, that puts the album in an interesting context even if it was a pretty awful record.

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

AB/AP is a pretty good record imo.

I'll never understand why people hate that record, cause it is a good record.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

IMO they have not yet released a bad record, so whatever they're doing, keep it up.

14. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Interesting read. I like his perspective.

15. somethingwitty

Trusted

I hate that they started releasing singles before the album was finished. I know the pop and hip hop music industry is a singles driven game but I really liked what FOB used to do with creating a narrative or a sound for an entire album. AB/AP was the first FOB record that sounded like a mix tape and I think that's why I was so turned off, it felt like a collection of songs without an identity.

SR&R, while not their best, had cohesion and a clear identity. I understand they're done with the punk scene, and are making a killing being a slightly edgier Maroon 5, which isn't really a bad thing due to Patrick. I just hope the new record doesn't have that mixtape feel.

GEM37 and oldboot like this.
  16. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Regarding the quote about not loving the songs, I wonder if that applies to Y&M or Champion since they were released before they came to their decision

17. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

People hate that record?

I thought it was received at the same level as SR&R..

18. St. Nate

Nah, lotta people here don't like it.

Don't know why tbh.

I'm not big on FOB but I really enjoyed it.

19. heymattrick

Sending my love

When AB/AP came out, the reception seemed pretty positive. I remember following along the day they released the songs one by one, and the comments seemed mostly positive at that point.

20. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Ab/ap is very obnoxois and doesn't hide its bad lyrics as well as their other albums. That's why it's awful.

21. St. Nate

This is a lie

22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I also think it sounds pretty poor aside from the songs I like. Nothing drives them aside from annoying ass choruses. Favorite Record and Kids are Alright rule tho

23. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

When they talk they sound like they have it all figured out. Then, they release a bunch of trite, uninspired, pap. I wish I could trust their judgement as song writers at this point. My sincere hope is that I can take 2-3 songs from the record that I can enjoy for a month or two.

24. ZeoVGM

Regular

It's one of their best albums so I'd say he did.

25. ZeoVGM

Regular

This is factually incorrect.