Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Perma - Fight Fair (April 4th, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Apr 3, 2019.

1. 1. Fight Fair
    2. I Always Just Make Things Easy
    3. Goodbye Palace
    4. Weeoo
    5. To Let You In
    6. Navigate
    7. Smash It
    8. Nay Nay
    9. Time Right
    10. Turn Now, See

2. I think I love this. Was worried when I heard the mix on the single, but the songs here are distinct, experimental, emotional, and unlike a couple of past projects, I think the "lo-fi" sound really works here a majority of the time. Could be where I am in my personal life right now, but this one hit me hard tonight

3. sukottokairu

Regular

i enjoyed this album on first listen! it has a lot of variety, and there are moments that sound really good, but i do have to complain about the heavy reverb on most of the vocals, it's a bit much at times. but i think this is pretty good and definitely shows potential for max's production style

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Love the first record! The reaction to the mix/production has me worried, but I’m still excited.

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I liked this a lot actually. There’s some cool experimentation going on. I especially liked Goodbye Palace and Smash It (unless I’m confusing Smash It and Nay Nay.. whichever one sounded a bit like a church hymn lol)

Dan O'Neill and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Why did this come out on a Thursday?

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It's their 10-year anniversary today and they wanted to release it for that

8. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

The title track is very difficult to listen to, but it's alright from there on out. My highlights are To Let You In, I Always Make Things Easy, and Nay Nay.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I feel like the title track is Max's best use of whatever lo-fi screaming thing he's going for that he uses on a couple other songs and was on IDTII. Like it works here because I think it's supposed to be like his "ugly" side and then they come out of it at the end of the song and it's a real nice, cute little song. It's still kind of a mess though but at least I get what he was trying to do with it there.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Excited to check the record out.

That album cover though

copey likes this.
  11. her voice is sooo great

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Wow. What a mess.

And I concur with @Larry David. That cover is oof.

13. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

There's some songs and half of songs I kind of like but I can't see myself returning to this unfortunately. I need to go back and listen to their live video because I remember liking whatever song that was.

14. If you're talking about the acoustic livestream, it was the single in the OP

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Some really good stuff on this

16. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

This album sounds like it's being played through blown out speakers.

17. copey

Regular

really loved the first Perma. every time I go to try and give this a listen, the cover is so cringeworthy, i can't get past it.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  18. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

This is a really incredible release on multiple fronts. Love the matured use of the lo-fi soundscapes he experimented with on IDTII (my favorite SA record). I really hope we hear more of this influence on his future work, it sounds fresh and accessible on this record, just like anyone would hope from a musician who took risks and saw them pay off in spades.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I lowkey like the cover haha It's a lot but I think that's the point. And they say all the time that the point of Perma is for them to basically be obnoxious about their love for each other, so it works, and I like how bright it is thanks to Sherri.

copey, Dan O'Neill and Aaron Mook like this.
  20. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I really love this record, it makes me so excited for their future output

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Its better than the cover for the first album, lol

I really like this album, the only song I don't like is Weeoo which sucks as it's the longest on here.

22. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

This is probably the most forgettable album I've heard in years.

23. This album is still so good. "Weeoo" guts me

"Lie about it every day, that I don't care anyway. Living this day to day. I don't wanna lie about it everyday. You know I care either way."

24. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Weeoo is the one song on here I don't like. I dig the idea but it just kind of grates on me. I think the closer might be my face.

25. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I'm sure I'll enjoy this more live, hope they play some old songs too