Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pen15 (Hulu) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by riotspray, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

On ep. 4. Maura will go down as one of TV’s greatest villains

2. just watched that one lol

3. Ain’t seen nothing til ep 5 but yeah she’s the worst

4. Sleepover ep damn

joe.boy.fresh. and trevorshmevor like this.
  5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Just finished the season and damn. Stand by what I said about Anna’s story last season being one of the most emotionally honest and effective depictions of divorce trauma on an adolescent. This whole season just broke my heart and that ending...I had to walk away. My wife asked if I was okay and then said “this is your favorite show, isn’t it?”

It honestly might be.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  6. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

There is something endlessly funny about two grown women roasting a bunch of 13 year olds

7. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

So Maura is the worst

8. the worst part is we probably all knew a Maura. she’s not just an exaggerated characterization

waking season likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Anna talking about protein in the wrestling ep is great.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Are You Afraid of the Dark?!!!!

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Uh what’s the deal with the.... breastfeeding scene at the beginning of episode 6? Am I missing something here?...

12. Nyquist

That definitely shocked my wife and I. I took it as a very strange, sudden turn into surrealism with the subtext perhaps being a note on their codependency and the desire for nourishment. Maya wants to be supported and Anna, terrified of being left alone, wants to be needed. It was definitely the one scene that really caught me by surprise this season.

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I was looking at my phone for a sec and when I looked up it was that scene. I had to go back twice with my girlfriend cuz we were sure we missed something. really bizarre. there were a few scenes like that that gave me that "tv is broken" feeling.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this season is great. I wish the other episodes just dropped. I don't wanna wait.

15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

"Maya, would you like a Powerade?"

"Sure"

"How many?"

"Three"

16. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

I appreciate the risks they took this (half?) season. Not conventional by any means but still so good. This is one of the rare shows that somehow gets me to crack up and tear up in each episode. They REALLY fucking nailed the tone and how middle schoolers talk. A lot of these really took me back. Overall I’d say my favorites are the witch episode, sleepover, and the play.

Maura is the fucking WORST, fools

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

yeah I get the subtext but it was so jarring that there was no real “transition” in and out of the surrealism. It was as if someone edited it incorrectly because it was presented in a very matter of fact way. Which doesn’t make sense for a show like this that doesn’t really do that

riotspray and Nyquist like this.
  18. Nyquist

I completely agree actually. It was the one moment that had me feeling like something was really off.

riotspray and Marx&Recreation like this.
  19. Mason

Regular

Im glad others were just as thrown off by it. I def understood the message and meaning of the co-dependency (once the initial shock of the scene wore off) but it was just presented and placed in the strangest way. Season was great though.

riotspray likes this.
  20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Totally agree about that scene. Seems tonally out of place.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It was probably the second hardest I laughed all season behind the greenhouse scene

popdisaster00 likes this.
  22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That greenhouse scene had me dying

popdisaster00 and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  23. Finished last night -- so great. Really has evolved past "haha nostalgia funny" into some deep dark areas.

Gabe is gay, right???

24. So after I finished I think I was leaning in the direction that he asked Maya out to try to keep up with Sam because he felt like he was losing a friend, and specifically chose Maya because he knew it’d make Sam jealous. Then when push came to shove, quickly realized he wasn’t ready to hook up yet, and was simultaneously hurting his best friend.

After sitting with it, I think he’s only recently discovered that he may be closeted, asked Maya out as compensation for a lack “progress” with girls, and specifically chose Maya so that Sam would think highly of him. I also might be reading into this way too much, but the lack of clarity around it may symbolize the confusion a lot of kids (especially in that time period) would probably feel when coming to the realization that their sexuality isn’t aligning with what they’re told is “normal”. Gabe’s having trouble figuring out what’s going on just as much as we are.

25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I haven't finished S2 yet, but I thought that was obvious from S1 heh

trevorshmevor likes this.