Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pen15 (Hulu) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by riotspray, Feb 18, 2019.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

omg ep5. I'm dying.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Just finished last night, enjoyed it so damn much. The last few episodes really grabbed me and the AIM episode was the best kind of nostalgia out there. Loved the two leads, praying this gets extended.

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The beginning of episode 3 is amazing and I’m so glad they had an adult for the role in the main gag of the scene.

4. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Just finished this season with my wife last night. I am in love with this show. I was in seventh grade fall of 98/winter & spring of 99 and my parents sat me down that year, one month before my 13th birthday, to tell me they were getting a divorce. I related to Anna so very much and I don’t know if I’ve ever been so emotionally affected by a depiction of “the divorce talk” as I was here. When they shifted to Anna’s perspective, framing the camera on extreme close-ups of the side of her dad’s face and the lamp in her bedroom, while she frantically looks around for anything of familiarity to cling to as everything she knows is pulled out from under her, I had to look away because I was crying. That’s just...that’s exactly right. I have this old paper I wrote in high school about my parents’ divorce stored away somewhere and in it I described the moment they told me. I mentioned shifting my focus from my parents to the lamp in our basement that hadn’t worked in years and trying to look for some sense of comfort and shelter wherever I could find it before breaking down. So seeing that just hit me really hard. I only wish I’d had a Maya back then.

Really hope we get more of this.

riotspray, oldjersey, mad and 2 others like this.
  5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Enjoyed the whole thing but the AIM episode was easily the highlight for me

6. AIM episode made me feel things

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I feel weird being the only person to say this doesn't do anything for me. It has cute bits, but overall doesn't grab me.

8. How far did you get?

I find this getting better each episode. It’s genuinely funny and hits the nostalgia factor really well without overplaying it. I liked Everything Sucks! but this is better. These characters are so much more fleshed out.

9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I watched (binged) it again giving it way better attention this time. Still loved it. Also it went by SO fast. I realized I was already on the last episode and was like wtf

riotspray, oldjersey and ChaseTx like this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Just started this and am loving it. I could see myself binging this all right now if a nap or productivity doesn’t interfere.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The Whiplash stuff absolutely killed me, can’t remember if that has been mentioned yet.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I want to change my username to Diper911.

I crushed this whole season yesterday and pretty much loved it. There were a few lulls, but it was never bad. I laughed a lot and there were a handful of genuinely good emotional moments.

Looking forward to anything else they come out with.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Happy to report my sister is also loving this show

D40B8DC9-A740-4C44-A89A-E4F459CAF637.jpeg

supernovagirl and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Cool, I didn’t know that’s her mom. And Al was awesome!

15. Did NOT know that is her mom. Awesome

16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I was so pumped to see Al Borland.

Maya's brother was also an editor on the show so I'm sure he had a few moments that were not very pleasant to edit.

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Got my friend to try it out and she just texted me saying that she's in love. She's a bit older than me, so she was literally starting 7th grade in 1999, so it's perfect. Said she hid a cigarette in her closet with her BFF and everything.

Amazing.

Nyquist and riotspray like this.
  18. Jake Gyllenhaal

I recommended it to my sister since she was born in 1988 and was 12 in 2000 and like I posted before she’s loving it so far.

Dinosaurs Dish and Nyquist like this.
  19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'm an 88 kid as well, I believe it's set in 2000 if not 2001

Nyquist likes this.
  20. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

they were in 7th grade and even tho I wasn’t in 7th until like 2003 I still related so freaking much to SO much of it

Nyquist likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal

I’m all about nostalgic TV/movies. Everything Sucks took place in 1996 about 8th graders (I was in seventh grade at the time). Lady Bird took place in 2002-03 about a high school senior (I was a college freshman)

riotspray, ChaseTx and Nyquist like this.
  22. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I was born slightly later, but my brother was born in 86 so I kind of straddled the generational line, and in some ways I grew up a lot faster than other kids my age. I identified really strongly with everything from this era, more than some of the middle school tropes associated with my actual age. The masturbation episode hit me like a ton of bricks especially, from the main plot to the B*witched stuff.

Nyquist likes this.
  23. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yah Cait wasn't in 7th grade until like 2006 and she related big time too

supernovagirl likes this.
  24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Did you like Everything Sucks? I tried to watch after Pen15 and the dialogue just seemed so polished and unrealistic, I kinda blame Pen15 because they capture how 12 year old really talk in that terse, awkward kind of way.

25. I loved ‘Everything Sucks’ and am still mad it got canceled.